Fines for not clearing windscreens of frost

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Fines for not clearing windscreens of frost

Post by Slowinitdown »

Last week we had a frost and most of the cars had iced up windscreens. Riding up to a junction I noticed someone had scraped a hole just enough to see forwards but no kind of peripheral vision. As expected they pulled out on me but I'd already slowed as expected it. It made me think that cannot be legal and found this.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... nts-deicer

Further down the road I went past her in traffic and noticed she had a young child in the car. Buses and lorries go through that junction often in the morning and makes you wonder what could happen. I agree on the points but like drivers who I constantly see on mobiles they never seem to get stopped or caught. Thought I'd share this anyway.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Fines for not clearing windscreens of frost

Post by you you »

Slowinitdown wrote:Last week we had a frost and most of the cars had iced up windscreens. Riding up to a junction I noticed someone had scraped a hole just enough to see forwards but no kind of peripheral vision. As expected they pulled out on me but I'd already slowed as expected it. It made me think that cannot be legal and found this.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... nts-deicer

Further down the road I went past her in traffic and noticed she had a young child in the car. Buses and lorries go through that junction often in the morning and makes you wonder what could happen. I agree on the points but like drivers who I constantly see on mobiles they never seem to get stopped or caught. Thought I'd share this anyway.

Yes, saw it too. God bless the tabloids.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Truly, NOTHING surprises me anymore.
For me this topic is like kindling to start a fire!

I see this too in winter. Vehicle's on the road with iced windshield's. Nothing but a peephole to see through. Same idiot's rear window is piled with snow. All that gets removed is an arm-swing for clearance.
Operator's like these should have their licenses taken away. They are lazy irresponsible law breaking selfish Stupid human beings! (Comma's purposely left out!) Who don't give a damn about anyone or anything.

Oh wait, we have exceptions:
If any of these violator's are handicapped in any way that keeps them from operating a vehicle safely, then they shouldn't be operating one. If they need someone to clear the snow and ice away, then fetch help or Don't drive!

Emergencies: yes, we've been there. I have anyway. Jump in, start up and fly. Someone needs us. We go. We break rules. We try to be careful and abiding but still it's hard when you're concern lies elsewhere.

I try to keep exceptions in mind when I see what I see. You just never know. But when a child is part of the equation, there's no exception and I'm Not Forgiving.
"....Take the Key and Lock Her/Him Up"
------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
Hmm, On the topic of de-icing: Has anyone ever used a spraying solution of water and vinegar,
or water and isopropyl alcohol? Say 2/3 and 1/3 mix?
I've read about that and seen video's too. Would either approach hurt the paint if it got kissed? :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

To get a fixed penalty for idling you either have to leave the car unattended or refuse to switch the engine off after being instructed to do so by someone authorised by the local council. (traffic warden)

Sitting in a frosted up car waiting for the screens to clear will never get you a fixed penalty because it is necessary to ensure the windows are clear before moving off.

Still, musn't let facts get in the way of a good tabloid story.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:To get a fixed penalty for idling you either have to leave the car unattended or refuse to switch the engine off after being instructed to do so by someone authorised by the local council. (traffic warden)

Sitting in a frosted up car waiting for the screens to clear will never get you a fixed penalty because it is necessary to ensure the windows are clear before moving off.

Still, musn't let facts get in the way of a good tabloid story.

:lol: Facts, tabloids. :lol: :lol:

They are just there to keep the vulnerable worried enough to buy tomorrow’s issue to see what they should be worried about next.

And who to hate.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I noticed a woman wandering around in my lane with her cellphone suction cupped to her windshield squarely in front of her face with the brightness maxed out to the point her whole head was lit up. In a perfect world natural culling of inferior intelligence would have her into a tree with the phone implanted in her stupid face. I goosed up the bike and left her to her fate knowing it's not a perfect world.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:I noticed a woman wandering around in my lane with her cellphone suction cupped to her windshield squarely in front of her face with the brightness maxed out to the point her whole head was lit up. In a perfect world natural culling of inferior intelligence would have her into a tree with the phone implanted in her stupid face. I goosed up the bike and left her to her fate knowing it's not a perfect world.

Next to the windscreen pillar terrifies me.

It's not uncommon to have a phone, a gps and a camera hanging from the windscreen along with their leads. Throw in a bunch of airfreshners and beads (wtf is that about) hanging from the rear view mirror....
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Where I live one can be fined $92 for not removing ice or snow causing an obstructed view or $120 for not removing snow and ice from the top of the vehicle. . .or $212 if their view is obstructed and didn't remove all the snow. . .if they are caught. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Interesting. When I was in the military we had some kind of solution that we could put on the windows that would melt the ice. I don't recall what it was but it seems to me that it must be available to the public somewhere or other.
Also, if you are going to park your car on the street then why not cover the front windshield and rear window down with something that you can just pull of and throw in the trunk? A painters cloth cut to various sizes with the edges pinned in the doors on each side would do the trick.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Interesting. When I was in the military we had some kind of solution that we could put on the windows that would melt the ice. I don't recall what it was but it seems to me that it must be available to the public somewhere or other.
Also, if you are going to park your car on the street then why not cover the front windshield and rear window down with something that you can just pull of and throw in the trunk? A painters cloth cut to various sizes with the edges pinned in the doors on each side would do the trick.

Won't it freeze to the windscreen?
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

deicer (Small).jpg
deicer (Small).jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 706 times
Use something like this - easily obtained - I have used similar products for over 50 years!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Limey wrote:
deicer (Small).jpg
Use something like this - easily obtained - I have used similar products for over 50 years!

I use similar. Not ecologically friendly but means no scraping and scratching the glass.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Easy and it costs nothing,just get a big empty carborad box from the supermarket,squash it,put it over the windscreen. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

For those who want something, anything, to cover the windshield and the rear window, they do sell items just for that purpose.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3PX1GP/re ... il_2?psc=1

So I would have to say that if we have found two solutions, why can't others? Oh, maybe it is because they are LAZY!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers