Newbie from UK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

babyzed

Newbie from UK

Post by babyzed »

Gotta start somewhere.

Crossed over from the C90 fourm, been loosely looking for a C90 for a while but they seem to have hit retro-cult status and the days of finding a tested good runner for a few hundred pounds are mostly gone. Kinda makes more sense to go new, have looked into Wave 110i but again haven't found any second hand near me.

Did wander into the local Honda dealer late 2016 to enquire about the Crosscub 110. Like with a few other little bikes/scooters due to Euro3 and 4 and upcoming 5 in a few years time not many little bikes make it here due to emissions regs.
We might get the next gen supercub in 2018 with the 125i motors we might not....... Honda may or may not bring in other things.....

Next up the line is a PCX :D so while looking into them i ended up here.

Had a lovely chat in the Honda cave of shiny things near me, went in to see the actual size of a PCX, kinda neat as they have a 17 in the showroom, and a 13 as a CBT trainer that's lived outside for years and been abused by many many learners and dropped a few times, so had a good look.
Much reasearch to follow and see what Mr Honda San will drop in the UK for 2018 :D
babyzed

Re: Newbie from UK

Post by babyzed »

See if this works..... Red ones go faster i belive :D
Attachments
IMG_8453.JPG
IMG_8453.JPG (196.04 KiB) Viewed 700 times
babyzed

Post by babyzed »

Right, that was straightforward enough to post pictures.
Was a Forza 125 to the left but not interested in them as a bit porky and more money.
Groms are too small, maybe better for a midlife crisis on a small scale.
babyzed

Post by babyzed »

The older one outside.
Some scars.
Dealer stated they had ordered in new panels and it was getting a refresh as it would be for sale soon as it's an older model.
No idea on the mileage, waiting to see what they put it up for, may be better to just go new.

Was on a 63 plate/Reg so i guess 2013, had the small glove box with no power socket.

so far so good, finding my way around the workings on here :D
Attachments
IMG_8454.JPG
IMG_8454.JPG (184.94 KiB) Viewed 698 times
IMG_8456.JPG
IMG_8456.JPG (216.66 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Jacito
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by Jacito »

Welcome aboard, I believe you are incorrect that the red ones are faster. It's actually the white ones.
Ride on and leave only tire tracks.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Motori Tec Inc. Performance Variator w/ 14g rollers
ContiScoot tires - safety recalled
Avon Viper tires
'08 Q'link Pegasus (traded in @ 12,000 miles)
pendulum
Color: white

Post by pendulum »

Welcome! They are pretty bikes, if you get one you won't regret it.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a PCX, one of the sportiest lookers and it comes with that Honda rock solid reliability. Plus it's fuel injected, if you've ridden carbed bikes you know how nice that is. It always starts right up.

But the most amazing thing really is the gas mileage. I have a 150 and get 95 mpg on mine. Compared to my 250cc Helix, my modded PCX 150 accelerates almost as fast and is only maybe ~7 mph slower on the top end... but the PCX gets > 33% better gas mileage than the Helix. We also have a Zuma which is a 49cc, and it gets mid 70s. So to get nearly 100 mpg on a 150 is insane. Honda really nailed it with this bike (same would go for the PCX 125, equally as good).

BTW, they changed the seat after 2013 I believe, many taller riders complained about that hump on the seat (2011-2013). The newer ones don't have the hump and are more comfortable. If you are over 6' you may find longer rides uncomfortable though.
2015 PCX 150
Dr Pulley 13g
Yoshi SS exh
babyzed

Post by babyzed »

Yep kinda ticks a lot of boxes, mileage/MPG is nice, did look at a Gilera Runner 125, few more ponies in the motor but 49mpg so lairy but you pay for it, leave that for teenagers :)
Pro's and cons to them, but the PCX does seem to have the reliabilty rep of the old Cubs which is good.

Never ridden a twist and go, so learning how that all works now, seems easy enough i have a load of maybe daft questions but will look around the forum.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by Slowinitdown »

Did they let you have a go? My local Honda dealer did but I decided to go for a 2nd hand 2015 model not a new one. The c90 was indestructible and I think the Pcx will equal it in reliability! Ask any questions you like is plenty of experience on here although all will be biased towards the Pcx and I'll join them in saying buy one, you won't be disappointed : D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

babyzed wrote:Never ridden a twist and go, so learning how that all works now, seems easy enough i have a load of maybe daft questions but will look around the forum.
At a glance history of the PCX. Might help with your research and general understanding. Points to consider...

1. The PCX will come with a forum following, all things PCX can be known here.
2. It will come with a full free service manual. Something difficult and expensive to acquire in the UK and can make the decision to purchase extended warranties completely unnecessary if you purchase new.

Personally I would take only 2015 or later PCX (humpless seat and LED lights)
Attachments
honda pcx.jpg
honda pcx.jpg (286.88 KiB) Viewed 686 times
babyzed

Post by babyzed »

Homie, i belive i spent a large part of today listening to you on Youtube going through a 5000mile service :)

Slowinitdown, i asked about a tryout, would it be possible, maybe a refresh day as the dealer is a Licence school too. Haven't ridden a motorcycle for years but have been in the spendy domain of downhill mountain bike racing...... PCX is cheaper than a race rig pushbike :)

Yep i can do a demo. Things got interesting when i declined finance and said it would be an outright purchase, it was implied there would be wiggle room on MRSP i expect in the form of bolt on extras. First service at 600 was on the dealer, then i think it was £110 for next one.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slowinitdown »

Honestly other than feeling the brakes as with any bike to save Red faced spills you'll hop on a pcx a find it a very easy ride is really nothing to it just twist and go and enjoy the relaxed nature/ride the Pcx offers. From other posts on here first service is just a change in oil which is easy enough to do at home unless you buy brand new and want to keep warranty. I was downsizing and within minutes of my test ride knew the bike ticked all the boxes. Only done 150miles so far and no sign of needing fuel so far : D I'd definitely recommend as homie says the 2015 onwards models it's dark season in the UK and those LED lights keep you nice and visible. Keep us updated with whatever you decided and good luck. Cheers
babyzed

Post by babyzed »

Kind of understand the braking system, it's sort of like a bicycle set up, left hand for rear, right hand for front.
But if i pull rear only, it's cable linked to some sort of slave cylinder that partial engages the front caliper, rear bias.
If i pull the right hand only then front bias with rear trailing.
Both together for maximum braking/emergency stop.

It's the engine pickup when pulling away and effects of engine braking i am unsure about, only ever driven/ridden manuals and used to engine braking through the gearbox. Thats the bit i need to test ride for.

When i did my DAS test years ago, as part of our course we all had to bump start a big bike, i assume this is something you can't do with a twist and go ?
Little things from a life of manuals and auto's are some form of witchcraft :)

I intend to run the dealer 2 year warranty so they will have to service it so i keep the breakdown cover and dealer fix ups if it fails several hundred miles from home.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slowinitdown »

Bump start a big bike? Not wishing to call out your age but how many years ago was that! I never had to do the modern online test thing and was mostly just a ride around and the guy stepped out to make sure I didn't go over the handlebars on an emergency stop but bump starting lol.

Engine braking is subtle as it's only a 125 and the transmission is.... Well, read up on CVT that will give you an insight into how the system works in case you haven't already. The bike is so user friendly its kind to beginners and even the most experienced enjoy its smoothness and simplicity. Book that test ride and share your experience here. Cheers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums babyzed! :P So what will it be? The Red PCX (2nd fastest) or White ("the" fastest) and which year might that be? Hopefully above the 2015 mark. Get ready, get set.....Go for it!

Scooters. New to you...the CBS braking system. How to use - squeeze the rear brake lever followed by the front brake lever. Nice and easy. Use both in that fashion.
When at higher speeds, cut off some of that speed by squeezing the front brake lever followed by the rear brake lever. Always using both, in all scenarios.

If the saddle is not to your liking, we on Forum PCX have much advice and recommendations to share. Aftermarket seats are available :D or, you can fix one up yourself.

Those are my tidbits. Cheers and Let her roll
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

babyzed wrote:Kind of understand the braking system, it's sort of like a bicycle set up, left hand for rear, right hand for front.
But if i pull rear only, it's cable linked to some sort of slave cylinder that partial engages the front caliper, rear bias.
If i pull the right hand only then front bias with rear trailing.
Both together for maximum braking/emergency stop.

It's the engine pickup when pulling away and effects of engine braking i am unsure about, only ever driven/ridden manuals and used to engine braking through the gearbox. Thats the bit i need to test ride for.

When i did my DAS test years ago, as part of our course we all had to bump start a big bike, i assume this is something you can't do with a twist and go ?
Little things from a life of manuals and auto's are some form of witchcraft :)

I intend to run the dealer 2 year warranty so they will have to service it so i keep the breakdown cover and dealer fix ups if it fails several hundred miles from home.

You are right you can't bump a PCX because of the automatic transmission.