Locks

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

LeewardCoast
Year: 2018
Color: White

Locks

Post by LeewardCoast »

Do you use a lock on your scoot, other than the steering column lock? I use a kryptonite chain lock when the scoot is put up for the night. I’ve been thinking of getting a kryptonite disc brake lock for when I’m running around town.
Additional Bikes:
Suzuki Burgman 650
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Honda Shadow 750 ACE
rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

Re: Locks

Post by rvkssl »

Normally at work i only use the steering lock, on public places i use a chain trough the rear wheel, or, when i can, use the chain in the front wheel attached to a static object.

Never tried a disc brake lock, couldn't find the correct size and i'm afraid i might forget and drive off with it o_O
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I have a disk lock from Kryptonite. Only times I use it is when i'm far away from home, especially in San Francisco or other big cities. I'm not sure what the theft rate is here in the Bay Area, scooters don't really attract attention here. I have been thinking of installing a wireless immobiliser switch. I have the wireless control unit, I just have to decide to do it. It worked great on my old Toyota Corolla.

AutoSpeed magazine article on how to go about it.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... r&A=112952

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

LeewardCoast wrote:Do you use a lock on your scoot, other than the steering column lock?
No.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
LeewardCoast wrote:Do you use a lock on your scoot, other than the steering column lock?
No.

X2
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

On the FB PCX forum, there's been several reports of stolen PCX's the past few months - seems to happen quite frequently. Would not trust leaving it unlocked for long periods of time in London.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

This bike is Easily picked up by two people with all the locks on your bike, and thrown in the back of the sprinter/pick up truck. It happens all the time. The only way that you can lock up your bike safely is if you use some type of chain and lock it TO something, like a pole or a heavy park bench, etc.… So they can’t pick it up and take it away.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I guess it depends on where you are. Here in Georgia there are way more motorcycles than scooters, so I am guessing that the motorcyclists are the ones to be aware of where they park their bikes...and certainly how they secure it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Cable lock for me. . .attached to a ground secured structure like a metal pole or tree . . .and I'm very discrete where and when I park it and for how long. 8)
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

No lock needed here in Queensland. The number of stolen scooters would be almost none.

It's a status thing, no self respecting thief would be caught dead on a scooter. :lol: :lol:
superandyp
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

Always lock mine up here in Birmingham. My insurance policy states it must be locked up with the lock I provided details of, otherwise I have to pay a hefty premium if stolen. I use an oxford chain lock and a zena disc lock.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:No lock needed here in Queensland. The number of stolen scooters would be almost none.

It's a status thing, no self respecting thief would be caught dead on a scooter. :lol: :lol:

Ditto.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Since the cheap availability of cordless angle grinders, the effectiveness of locks has dived (especially in places like London when a thief can grind a lock off and steal a bike on a packed street without so much as a second look).

I always stipulate no lock on my insurance. It's surprising how little effect it has on the premium.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Mister Paul wrote:Since the cheap availability of cordless angle grinders, the effectiveness of locks has dived (especially in places like London when a thief can grind a lock off and steal a bike on a packed street without so much as a second look) I always stipulate no lock on my insurance. It's surprising how little effect it has on the premium.
Yep, most locks hardly knock anything off premiums and most insurances approved list is years out of date - the pragmasus police approved locks are not even on most insurers lists yet they are one of the only police approved range of chains/locks. That said, you need 16mm and above to stop pro thieves as bolt croppers work on most 14mm chains or less. None of the Thatcham or sold silver/gold chains or locks last more than about 11-15 seconds if thieves have portable angle grinders, and most chains can be cropped in less than 30 seconds with 42" croppers.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:I always stipulate no lock on my insurance. It's surprising how little effect it has on the premium.
And how big an effect on the claim if you've forgotten to fit it....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Since the cheap availability of cordless angle grinders, the effectiveness of locks has dived (especially in places like London when a thief can grind a lock off and steal a bike on a packed street without so much as a second look).

I always stipulate no lock on my insurance. It's surprising how little effect it has on the premium.

Maybe a solution to those portable cutters? Video on the site. SKUNKLOCK. o_O

http://skunklock.com/