New Hybrid Honda PCX coming?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New Hybrid Honda PCX coming?

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Congestion charge?? What's next, breathing charge?? Or maybe a sidewalk tax?? ... they already have a road tax, so now they need to move on to anything else that you could do. How about a shoe tax, or maybe they would call it a walking charge.
We had a beverage tax here in Illinois recently and people rebelled so bad that just last week it was completely repealed :lol: Losers in Springfield trying to tax anything to save their miserable necks and still keep their Chicago constituents. We are winning this battle for the nation but sadly not for Illinois. The corruption and entitlement masses in the City of Chicago overwhelm the state at the polls every time. We will need a government bailout soon and that means the rest of the country (YOU) will pay for it. I hate em Mel :x
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by Greenmeenie »

Yeah, I posted this cause I thought it was an interesting find. Don’t even know if it’s real or just a concept at this point. Looking for further confirmation.

If it is real, I’m not completely sold on it yet. For all the possible reasons mentioned by other posters in this thread. Will the extra weight make the fuel efficiency a wash compared to the current PCX? Will the storage space be compromised?

I’m all for electric vehicles. Especially if the electricity can be harnessed in greener & more sustainable ways. Seems like that’s the way things are moving. And I fully embrace the future. But we are not quite there yet.

Would I want an electric scooter with a 150 mile range and that can be fully charged in minutes at super charging stations? Hell yeah! Tesla has cracked the 200 mile range in cars, But we are a ways off from that in scooters. I know Vespa is working on an electric scooter. Current electric scooters are fine for local commutes and errands. But for those of us with real wanderlust, they are lacking.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:They seem to hush up the fact that to get electric vehicles into production, the impact is much larger on the environment overall than normal vehicles (widely known but not often mentioned).
Yes and no.
its the batteries which present the problem.
Eliminate the batteries and they are much cleaner over the whole life of the vehicle.
trolleybus.jpg
trolleybus.jpg (528.82 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think there were buses like that once in the United States. I have no idea what happened to them. My bet is that cars happened. The buses that run around now are diesel engine driven. For the most part many aren't paying for themselves with riders. That has a lot to do with cars as well.
In some areas riding a bus is even dangerous, so people would rather be inconvenienced by long waits when driving than to get on a bus.
In other areas the bus service does not go where they need to be, but driving their own vehicle will.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Greenmeenie wrote:Tesla has cracked the 200 mile range in cars, But we are a ways off from that in scooters.
The ZEV LRC-X has a claimed range of 185 miles at a constant 55mph, so not too far away ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I just looked that one up. Nice looking scooter.
Two questions though:
1. If the website is talking US dollars it says that it costs almost $16,000 but it looks a lot like a Burgman 400, which with ABS is only $8,000. How do they expect to to compete at twice the cost of the best competing model?
2. Who is ZEV ? What is their dependability rating? Parts availability?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Here are the ZEV and the Burgman for visual comparison. I do like the styling on them, and I like the range on both as well.
ZEV+LRC+orgsd+wb.jpg
ZEV+LRC+orgsd+wb.jpg (238.77 KiB) Viewed 894 times
2017 Burgman 400 (0).jpg
2017 Burgman 400 (0).jpg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:That said, fossil fuels will not last forever so changes have to come.
The numbers show that that point is still about 49 years away though; that's based on existing known oil reserves and current rate of consumption - and it's incredibly unlikely that the world won't discover new oil reserves.

Many have been predicting the end of world oil supplies for decades - and yet in that time known reserves have actually increased. It's also known that not all oil comes from fossils - they just haven't found a way to tap into the other kinds economically - yet.

Fossil fuels aside - currently only a tiny fraction of the world's energy comes from renewable sources (2.8% last I heard).
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (52.96 KiB) Viewed 886 times
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Greenmeenie wrote:Tesla has cracked the 200 mile range in cars,
Heck - Tesla has cracked the 1000km range :)

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... rld-record
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

They are even working on an electric Vespa thats suppose to come out next year.
Attachments
IMG_9887.JPG
IMG_9887.JPG (66.98 KiB) Viewed 887 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I’m all for electric vehicles. Especially if the electricity can be harnessed in greener & more sustainable ways. Seems like that’s the way things are moving. And I fully embrace the future. But we are not quite there yet.
This is long winded so you may want to read another post or send out for a pizza. . .. :lol:

I can't speak for the rest of the world but the U.S. electric grid seriously needs to be upgraded. So that's $$ we will be spending one way or another to provide relief for the ever increasing demand. Also, the power generation systems need to be hydro-electric, solar, wind, ocean wave driven, or whatever else they can come with in order to go in the right direction. Fossil fuel (coal, oil) powered generation plants will just pull more carbon out of the ground and put it back into the air thus increasing the "Greenhouse Effect". Remember "Sinclair" gasoline stations with the big green dinosaur?

The newest nuclear power plant technology is an improvement to the one that existed in the 1960's and '70's and can be considered an alternative also but stowage or recycling of spent fuel is an important issue. Also they will have to be able to build them in locations that won't be susceptible to rising ocean levels or major storms caused by global warming. Definitely not in areas of volatile seismic activity. They will also need a trained reliable workforce to build and operate those plants. . .people who are willing to travel when duty calls.

The computers that monitor and control the grid could be susceptible to hacking so security is going to be an ongoing major $$ expense to fend off the evil doers. Mean people suck!

That being said the autonomy that fossil fueled vehicles provide is hard to beat. Battery powered vehicles that strictly rely on being "plugged in" overnight for example will become a liability when there are local power outages due to thunder and lightening storms or high winds knocking out transmission lines. If it's cold in the winter there won't be the ability to jump in the car to get warm and then drive to a friend or relative's house (or get gas) and ride it out until the utility companies have things restored.

Anyhow, I think the expansion of the market into electric vehicles is not a panacea. However, it's worth giving it a chance and I think that localization of power generation is (solar panels on buildings or in backyards) a key item for it's success. We all know what it's like when the internet service is "down". A real bummer. . .and at the end of the day there is not a lot we can do about it except to wait and wait until the service is restored. It reminds us of the days of pen and paper and books and the postal service and how they could be counted on. . .slow . . . but sure. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

PCX150Rider,
I agree. No matter how good electric vehicles are they have one big disadvantage, and that is the possibility of it going down at some point. If you have an electric vehicle that you used all day, it will need to be charged all night. If bad weather comes your way the power could be compromised. Imagine a tornado taking down power lines. What do you do? You can't just jump in your electric vehicle and drive to some place that has power, and then just plug it in. ("Excuse me sir. Can I plug into your house power. My car is running low.")
To add to that, I read recently that most of the power plants in the United States still use coal. How is an electric vehicle a good alternative if it uses electricity from a coal burning power plant?
All of those problems need to be addressed before electric vehicles will become a real viable alternative.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just a different mindset needed. Would you run your mobile phone on petrol?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Just a different mindset needed. Would you run your mobile phone on petrol?
It's like eating meat. May as well just cut to the source and eat plant based foods. At the end of the day when we eat critters we are just eating a byproduct from them eating plants or eating other critters that eat plants.

Clean energy is key. . ..

BTW bacon causes cancer. :roll:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... r-says-who
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

The appearance of elektroskutery in the mainstream will not give economic effect to the users. Balance fuel economy will block the initial price of the electric vehicle or a gradual increase in taxes or prices of electricity, that is, will be less than petrol cars, but sales of electric vehicle will seize their profits. Manufacturers and electro are the same as those of gasoline cars, except Tesla.
In Belarus building a nuclear power plant and to 2018-2020 plan to complete the construction. Consumers hope for a price reduction of electricity and lowering taxes on the purchase of electric vehicle for the development of this industry, but I fear that is a pipe dream.
Also eyeing the electric car and electric scooter, but the sum of the initial cost pays for itself very, very long time or doesn't pay at all.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

("Excuse me sir. Can I plug into your house power. My car is running low.")
That's hilarious but true. :lol:

Reminds me of Wimpy from the Popeye cartoons. :D

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

PCX150Rider wrote:BTW bacon causes cancer. :roll:
Breathing air is fatal.
Everyone who has ever died breathed air before they snuffed it.

No-one gets out alive, might as well have a bacon butty and a mug of tea, relax and enjoy it while you can.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gn2 wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:BTW bacon causes cancer. :roll:
Breathing air is fatal.
Everyone who has ever died breathed air before they snuffed it.

No-one gets out alive, might as well have a bacon butty and a mug of tea, relax and enjoy it while you can.
And if the bacon and air doesn't get us the extreme levels of Dihydrogen Monoxide in our waterways will!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
It's like eating meat. May as well just cut to the source and eat plant based foods. At the end of the day when we eat critters we are just eating a byproduct from them eating plants or eating other critters that eat plants.

Ignoring or being unaware of the cruelty aspect of mass meat production....

Ignorance is bliss, would you like fries with that sir :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don't eat meat...well, except for chicken, but then as far as I know they are basic food with no real brain...oh, and fish as well.
So we aren't full vegans, but we try not to eat anything that might actually be able to think. I have never known a chicken that could do much more than cluck, eat, and shit.
On the other hand, I have known of many cows that have become people's pets. That also applies to pigs.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150