accident

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

butch3r
Year: 2013

accident

Post by butch3r »

I never really liked the relatively small width of the tires for the pcx150. I think that has partially contributed to wobble and 2 accidents here in los angeles. anyways, because the accident, geico wants to salvage the 2013 scooter and give me a net of $2k. I'm wondering if I can or should just fix it. The main damage is to the handlebars.

djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Re: accident

Post by djbass »

butch3r, photos are not visible.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

I look my eyes and no pictures
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Take the 2k and buy a 2015 or later Honda PCX150 humpless LED. See the difference in this illustration.
Look at the deals to be had on Craigslist. Might be time to step up your ride.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t ... 17#p100817
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.75 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Slowinitdown »

[quote="butch3r"]I never really liked the relatively small width of the tires for the pcx150. I think that has partially contributed to wobble and 2 accidents here in los angeles. anyways, because the accident, geico wants to salvage the 2013 scooter and give me a net of $2k. I'm wondering if I can or should just fix it. The main damage is to the handlebars. [Quote=]

If I was in the same position I would 100% take the $2k and get 2015 or newer. I also thought the tire width was small but the 125cc race bikes have thin tyres too and they make good use of them. I find the PCX falls into corners nicely. Go pick your next PCX and enjoy!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

The main thing is you have your health right?

Take your time and think about your next move. . .consider all the options. 8)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I'd rather have wider tyres and ABS, two advantages of larger CC bikes, however I've ridden the PCX for over 3 years in very heavy rain, flooded roads and sub zero temps, all on stock IRC tyres all year round and never once had any grief - just not gone crazy or tried to lean and scrape my knees taking corners like some people like to do :) Mostly where slippage is concerned, it's when I put my large tread boots down to steady the bike at traffic lights! Just my left boot, not the tyres.

13,000 miles on and approx 3.5 years in, I just changed the rear tyre to a MCG but still on the original IRC on the front. TBH I've not noticed any real difference compared to the IRC either, but in my case I guess it's due to not having issues with the stock tyres.

I commute 9 miles across London through heavy traffic, often doing 40-50mph on major A roads and filtering through London city traffic on normal 30 mph roads.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Sorry to hear about your accidents.

I've clocked 34,000km on stock tyres - much of it at WOT - the only wobble I ever get is if I let go of the handlebar momentarily. Every other time the bike has been super-stable.
butch3r

Post by butch3r »

see pic below

see pic here
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Embedding the pic below...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156.76 KiB) Viewed 805 times
I would, without a doubt, take the $2000. I bought the PCX I ride now for under $1000, and it runs like a top. You should be able to get another used one and still have a bit left over for your trouble.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:I'd rather have wider tyres and ABS
ABS definitely, wider tyres not always.
Contact patch size is determined by many more factors than just the width of the tyre.
Stick a wider tyre on a standard rim and chances are you will actually reduce the size of the contact patch.
Honda didn't arrive at the standard PCX tyre size by accident...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

THat should be an easy fix. I have seen plenty of great deals in the LA area over the years. If you have patients I'm sure you could get a 2015 model, it's a slight upgrade and .5hp more ;).

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Glad your okay. PCX tire width seem okay to me. It could use a small upgrade in width but it might also slow down the scoot.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

ABS definitely, wider tyres not always.
Contact patch size is determined by many more factors than just the width of the tyre.
Stick a wider tyre on a standard rim and chances are you will actually reduce the size of the contact patch.
Honda didn't arrive at the standard PCX tyre size by accident...
Yep. My understanding is that the objective is to maximize grip by factoring the vehicle weight for determining the optimal size/ area of the contact patch. This is even true on racing bicycles. But I have no idea what formula or etc enters into those factors.

I also read (sorry I don't remember where - but I swear I did) that 1 advantage of wide rear tires on powerful racing bikes was greater total area for heat dissipation - and their rubber & etc is actually seriously thin for the same reason. I frequently attend dirt track races - 410ci sprint cars - and their wide rear tires are so thin (for heat dissipation) that a tire off the rim will collapse and slump on itself.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is up to you as to how confident you are in your abilities to fix the bike. I could definitely fix it. Parts are cheap. It will all depend on how much time you have to work on it.
However, if you just want to jump on it and ride then take the money and find a replacement.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

I don’t think the PCX tires are thin. At least not here in the states. The bicycle tires they put on the PCX in Thailand are ridiculous tho. I always laugh when I see them in photos. I don’t get that at all.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Afaik, all models of PCX in all countries are fitted with the same size of tyres.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong