My driver's license test on the PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: My driver's license test on the PCX

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:It is interesting how much some of the states in the United States have advanced in their responses to high motorcycle deaths, and how little others have responded. When I got my first motorcycle drivers license it wasn't even a requirement to have a helmet, but I had one. The test was to ride beside a motorcycle cop for a few blocks.

As I moved from state to state the license followed me...essentially trade in your drivers license for one from that state. Some states required a riding test, but most just traded one state license for another.

When I moved to Georgia the clerk forgot to add my "M" (motorcycle endorsement), and when I realized that they had forgotten it they had already destroyed my previous license, so I had to take the tests again. This required a written test AND a course riding test. Previous other states did not do the course but did a riding test on the streets instead.

Essentially, every state seems to do its own thing. Several states around Georgia do not require a helmet still. I think the number of motorcycle deaths would drop considerably if all state tests were uniform.

Does that mean you could technically go to the easiest state to take your test and it's valid throughout the USA and most of the world?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: My driver's license test on the PCX

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:Does that mean you could technically go to the easiest state to take your test and it's valid throughout the USA and most of the world?
You can only get a license in the state you reside in. When you move to another state, it is typically an automatic transfer, although it seems that some states may require extra testing for a motorcycle. I am also aware that the only foreign licenses New York state will recognize on a transfer, are from Canada.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(