PCX shelter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

PCX shelter

Post by Slowinitdown »

Nearly all my bikes have lived outside under a rain cover. I did once live in a house that had a garage which was perfect but no more garage for me. How does the PCX fair in wetter weather? Based in UK the rain is always a factor and I've been thinking of building a lean to as well as building a gate for the side of the house. Anyone else got a nice bike bed setup??

Would be good to have a small shelter to keep the worst off it and somewhere for my wet gear to hang
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: PCX shelter

Post by GeorgeSK »

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... use#p27116

Going on four years and it still is fine. The door is starting to get a bit flaky (white stuff coming off), but it is certainly not so bad that i need to replace it. When i feel the need, I will definitely just do it again.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It'll be fine. Wipe off the seat and go.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by Slowinitdown »

: D going out in the pissing rain is fine but it's when you come back I wanna dry everything including the bike. looks plenty big enough.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

: D going out in the pissing rain is fine but it's when you come back I wanna dry everything including the bike. looks plenty big enough.
That's the reason why I still have my 49cc. Don't have to worry about getting it mucked up. It's mostly plastic anyways but a really good scoot for the coin. Here they call it the Genuine Roughhouse but in the rest of the world it's known as the PGO PMX. 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Not sure if this will help of not, but I have a small equipment room where I keep a lot of studio photography gear. I run a dehumidifier in there 24x7 - and any time I need to dry out any bike related clothing I just pop them in there overnight - they come out bone dry in the morning.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:Not sure if this will help of not, but I have a small equipment room where I keep a lot of studio photography gear. I run a dehumidifier in there 24x7 - and any time I need to dry out any bike related clothing I just pop them in there overnight - they come out bone dry in the morning.
Why a dehumidifier for photography equipment?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Not sure if this will help of not, but I have a small equipment room where I keep a lot of studio photography gear. I run a dehumidifier in there 24x7 - and any time I need to dry out any bike related clothing I just pop them in there overnight - they come out bone dry in the morning.
Why a dehumidifier for photography equipment?

Gil
It's in the basement area of my house where the tendency is for humidity levels to be "higher" rather than "lower". Despite being a relatively small room (probably 4m x 2m) and no ventilation it still pulls about 2L of water a day from the air that gets in there. This way I never need to worry about any of the lights / reflectors / barn doors / books / other electronics having any issues due to high humidity.

It's also right next to where I park the PCX - so it's convenient (beats dragging wet gear up the stairs and into other parts of the house).

Works really well.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by slowpoke »

When I bought the PCX, there was already rust on the end of the big bolt (whatever that thing is called) of the rear wheel, and also the exhaust end of the muffler. I just sprayed some WD-40. Not sure why or how rust formed on just two spots since there's none anywhere else.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:When I bought the PCX, there was already rust on the end of the big bolt (whatever that thing is called) of the rear wheel, and also the exhaust end of the muffler. I just sprayed some WD-40. Not sure why or how rust formed on just two spots since there's none anywhere else.
Rust answers to nobody.

By the way - in NZ we'd get lynched by some if we didn't use CRC 556!
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

I'm a bicycle guy. I like to think there isn't a problem I can't solve when it comes to bicycles. But when it comes to cars, motorcycles, scooters, I'm freakin' clueless. If I sprayed that CRC 556 on the bolt, will I have to then re-tighten the bolt? Ugh...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:I'm a bicycle guy. I like to think there isn't a problem I can't solve when it comes to bicycles. But when it comes to cars, motorcycles, scooters, I'm freakin' clueless. If I sprayed that CRC 556 on the bolt, will I have to then re-tighten the bolt? Ugh...
Possibly - we call it "the toolbox in a can". Been around forever too - I used to use it to lubricate slot car bearings in the 1960's.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

I visited this racetrack north of Christchurch. Never seen these races before, only briefly on TV. Man those cars are loud! And they flick dirt to your face. Fun time!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.33 KiB) Viewed 722 times
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:I visited this racetrack north of Christchurch. Never seen these races before, only briefly on TV. Man those cars are loud! And they flick dirt to your face. Fun time!
"Stock cars" as we collectively call them in NZ. We used to go to them quite regularly as a family in my younger days, but my enthusiasm waned when they started to diversify from just stock cars and saloon cars to TQs and midgets and bikes. My sister died in a car accident on the way home from them some 26 years ago (thanks to a boy racer idiot) and I think I've only been to them once or twice since then (and left 1/2 way through on the last occasion). Can definitely pay to wear some goggles (and ear muffs) if you're seated anywhere near the corners!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I believe they may be referred to as "sprint" cars in the US and Canada. I saw them live once and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I recall, they are direct drive with no gears, once the engine is running, it is moving unless you are holding it back with the brake. Is that correct?

Maverick, such a sad account of your sister. Some people simply fail to engage their brain and think of the potential consequences to their actions and the impact it may have on others. :cry:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

kramnala58 wrote:I believe they may be referred to as "sprint" cars in the US and Canada. I saw them live once and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I recall, they are direct drive with no gears, once the engine is running, it is moving unless you are holding it back with the brake. Is that correct?
I'm not 100% sure. "TQ" stands for "Three Quarters" so they might just be a 3/4 size version of sprint cars? They definitely push them to start them - and have an outside wheel that's bigger than the inside wheel. And always seem to come around the corners sideways.
Maverick, such a sad account of your sister. Some people simply fail to engage their brain and think of the potential consequences to their actions and the impact it may have on others. :cry:
Yes. In this case they were being overtaken in a passing lane when a boy racer decided to overtake the overtaking car - over a no-passing line - on a blind corner. 3 vehicles don't fit well into 2 lanes when something is coming at you with 200km/hr+ closing speed.