How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gauss80
Year: 2013 125 Esp
Color: white

Re: How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

Post by gauss80 »

well the main one would be the type of oil used .. going to fully synthetic 0W40 ,.. then changing the original windshield with the GIVI 322ST,..replace the original variator with the malossi multivar 2000 and as last adding a teflon additive to the oil...

I will personally of the above for now for sure change the oil,...I have bought the variator and the windshield but I am not sure about the additive I'll prob try with those slight changes first and once then see how it goes eventually buy the additive as well....hoping to see improvements on my little scoot...
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125/2012/gauss/535318 Image[/URL]
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:well the main one would be the type of oil used .. going to fully synthetic 0W40 ,.. then changing the original windshield with the GIVI 322ST,..replace the original variator with the malossi multivar 2000 and as last adding a teflon additive to the oil...

I will personally of the above for now for sure change the oil,...I have bought the variator and the windshield but I am not sure about the additive I'll prob try with those slight changes first and once then see how it goes eventually buy the additive as well....hoping to see improvements on my little scoot...
Very interesting. Not sure what his thinking would be with regards to a windshield and variator having any influence on engine life (if anything I would have expected variators that increase top speed to reduce engine life due to the harder work they're having to do). Personally, I'm undecided about Teflon additives - I'm curious to know why oil manufacturers wouldn't just add them in the first place if they were beneficial.
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

do hot know if can help,... here is the link to a thread were it talks about engine endurance is in Italian i know,... with google translate you should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about...

http://pcxclubitalia.forumfree.it/?t=67194489
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:do hot know if can help,... here is the link to a thread were it talks about engine endurance is in Italian i know,... with google translate you should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about...

Thanks for that. I translated it and had a read. I think that for the most part he's just doing what I do;

1. More frequent oil changes

2. Quality oil

3. Don't work it too hard until it's warm

4. Longer trips better than short trips.
rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

Post by rvkssl »

TheMaverick wrote:
gauss80 wrote:do hot know if can help,... here is the link to a thread were it talks about engine endurance is in Italian i know,... with google translate you should be able to get the gist of what he is talking about...

Thanks for that. I translated it and had a read. I think that for the most part he's just doing what I do;

2. Quality oil

I think the above is the best way to treat the PCX besides maintenance by the book.
My planning is to drive my PCX for 5 years and 100.000 km, untill now i've driven 6000 km's , so many happy km's to go ! :D :D
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Could you be able to confirm something for me? My translation is showing:

"FACTS
My pcx (2010, purchased used in 2011 with 8,000 km) made 71,000 km. "

Was this a different PCX? You mentioned 130,000km.

and then he writes:

"In fact I already have the tires to reach 120 and 140,000 km (rear and front)"

Is he saying that he's got 140,000km out of a rear tyre?
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

rvkssl wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

2. Quality oil

I think the above is the best way to treat the PCX besides maintenance by the book.
My planning is to drive my PCX for 5 years and 100.000 km, untill now i've driven 6000 km's , so many happy km's to go ! :D :D
Well that would be my intention as well,... I really hope to manage to get as far KM wise even tough it is going to be complicated.... I am planning going forward to take care of my own maintenance (I am a novice on it....) and this site is tremendously helpful. I live unfortunately in a country were providing the high labor costs people would rather buy things new rather then fixing them.... to give you an example last week I went to see a couple of scooter garages to have a rear tyre replaced ( I already have the tyre) and I have been asked for the job 60 CHF (currently the CHF equals the $), that's to me seems crazy providing what's required to do the job (at least looking at what should be done given the how's to instructions provided on this forum)...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:
Well that would be my intention as well,... I really hope to manage to get as far KM wise even tough it is going to be complicated.... I am planning going forward to take care of my own maintenance (I am a novice on it....) and this site is tremendously helpful. I live unfortunately in a country were providing the high labor costs people would rather buy things new rather then fixing them.... to give you an example last week I went to see a couple of scooter garages to have a rear tyre replaced ( I already have the tyre) and I have been asked for the job 60 CHF (currently the CHF equals the $), that's to me seems crazy providing what's required to do the job (at least looking at what should be done given the how's to instructions provided on this forum)...
My experience to date leads me to the conclusion that Honda's recommendations end up "over-servicing" the bike; I've just been inspecting parts at the recommended times they be changed, and more often than not, have made the decision to continue with them for longer. I did / had done a whole bunch at 33,333km - just so I could forget about many of them for another 33,333km. Oil I do more frequently, but I did the belt at 33,333km instead of 24,000km (I posted a photo of it and many thought it should be changed ASAP, but when I got it off it was still VERY strong). Changed the air cleaner at 30,000 (instead of 16,000km) (it wasn't restricting performance but looked about right to be changed). Changed brake and cooling fluids at 2.5 years instead of 2 years (would have gone longer, but it coincided with my 33,333km "2nd trimester" - spark plug as 34,000km (instead of 1 at 8, 16, 24, 32k km). And bike remains just fine - zero issues (apart from a resonating panel at certain RPM that's developed since it was last in at the dealer ...)
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

Nice things to Know Maverick.... I think all those basic things I should be able to take care of ( I hope not to break anything),... what is really scaring to me is the valves adjustment,... I have seen tons of posts regarding it, people are confident as well that should not be a difficult task to perform but I am a bit resilient to do it, is it possible to know if you have done it so far, how many times and to which frequencies you are planning to do it ?....are you also going to take the approach to go with it until you hear something strange...

tks

G
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:Nice things to Know Maverick.... I think all those basic things I should be able to take care of ( I hope not to break anything),... what is really scaring to me is the valves adjustment,... I have seen tons of posts regarding it, people are confident as well that should not be a difficult task to perform but I am a bit resilient to do it, is it possible to know if you have done it so far, how many times and to which frequencies you are planning to do it ?....are you also going to take the approach to go with it until you hear something strange...

tks

G
Mine hasn't been done since 1,000km (33,000km ago). Honda say every 4,000km, but that just seemed ludicrous to me so I did a bit of Googling and even spoke to a non-Honda dealer and his advice was "since it's not a particularly high-revving engine and the valve clearances are unlikely to change - just don't worry about it unless you notice a change like rough idling or hard to start".

I asked the dealer to do it when he did my brake pads, tyres, fluids etc a few weeks ago - he didn't get to it (said he wasn't in that area of the bike), but took it for a test ride & conceded that the engine sounded fine.

My strong suspicion is that if I stripped it all down I'd probably find it was all a waste of time. The service manual I use (from Cyclepedia) lays it all out pretty well - I suspect it would only take a couple of hours first time if I had someone else to navigate an iPad for me whilst I did the dirty work - so I may do it at some point "sooner rather than later". I don't want to be doing it every 4,000km, but there get to be a point where the risks outweigh the benefits.

My suggestion would be to get it done at your first 1000km check, and then not to worry about it for at least a few more checks - then perhaps see how it's performing. Dealer quoted me "around NZD $200" for the 4,000km check - and presumably that would be the same for all other checks - and added to the high cost of their parts ($160 for a belt + fitting) (whereas I got it for about $50 and fitted it myself) I'd probably have exceeded the cost of a new bike by the time this one gets to where I think it will (aiming for 100,000km). I just didn't think that was money well spent when I could plan ahead - use my brain - and save a LOT of money. So far I'm well ahead; I did run a couple of rear tyres too long and end up with punctures (one requiring transport on the dealers truck) but other than that, I've not a single regret doing it the way I've done it.
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

well in my case was done at the first service ( the owner had it done) and since then now I have about 12500Km I have not even tought about it. I am planning to go with your advice and along using a top quality Oil I should be able to avoid any major problems....... in case next year I might take the crazy decision to drive with my little scoot across the alps to Italy I might have it done there at much cheaper prices......I am also in need this days of tyres replacement.... I have bought already the rear one but need to get the front one... I did nothing (beside oil change) the past few years and now I am paying the consequences,... I was stupid not to frequently check their pressure on a regular basis and now after mere 12500km a change is required for both....
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

I figure mine will last longer than Maverick's (LOL -trying to be humorous) because I plan on checking my valves every so often - not the frequent USA interval that Honda says, but every 4k-5k miles whenever there's a rainy day and I have the afternoon free. The intake valve was tight at the 600m check.

Mav, no offense, I'm glad your plan is working out for you (seriously) and all to their own. But not checking periodically is not for me. Plus, it's really not that hard to do and I like doing that kind of stuff - when I'm in the mood.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

As I have some racing background, and I also have a PPL, I got used to service machinery per engine hours.
So I do with both of my PCX-es. I change oil and clean air filter (I have a cleanable simota "sport" filter in the bikes) every 100 engine hours on the stock bike, and every 75 hours on the 164cc Yuminashi monster, and do bigger maintenance (e.g. valves, grease clutch bearings, change brake fluids etc.) every second oil change.
So far works perfectly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
gauss80 wrote:Nice things to Know Maverick.... I think all those basic things I should be able to take care of ( I hope not to break anything),... what is really scaring to me is the valves adjustment,... I have seen tons of posts regarding it, people are confident as well that should not be a difficult task to perform but I am a bit resilient to do it, is it possible to know if you have done it so far, how many times and to which frequencies you are planning to do it ?....are you also going to take the approach to go with it until you hear something strange...

tks

G
Mine hasn't been done since 1,000km (33,000km ago). Honda say every 4,000km, but that just seemed ludicrous to me so I did a bit of Googling and even spoke to a non-Honda dealer and his advice was "since it's not a particularly high-revving engine and the valve clearances are unlikely to change - just don't worry about it unless you notice a change like rough idling or hard to start".

I asked the dealer to do it when he did my brake pads, tyres, fluids etc a few weeks ago - he didn't get to it (said he wasn't in that area of the bike), but took it for a test ride & conceded that the engine sounded fine.

My strong suspicion is that if I stripped it all down I'd probably find it was all a waste of time. The service manual I use (from Cyclepedia) lays it all out pretty well - I suspect it would only take a couple of hours first time if I had someone else to navigate an iPad for me whilst I did the dirty work - so I may do it at some point "sooner rather than later". I don't want to be doing it every 4,000km, but there get to be a point where the risks outweigh the benefits.

My suggestion would be to get it done at your first 1000km check, and then not to worry about it for at least a few more checks - then perhaps see how it's performing. Dealer quoted me "around NZD $200" for the 4,000km check - and presumably that would be the same for all other checks - and added to the high cost of their parts ($160 for a belt + fitting) (whereas I got it for about $50 and fitted it myself) I'd probably have exceeded the cost of a new bike by the time this one gets to where I think it will (aiming for 100,000km). I just didn't think that was money well spent when I could plan ahead - use my brain - and save a LOT of money. So far I'm well ahead; I did run a couple of rear tyres too long and end up with punctures (one requiring transport on the dealers truck) but other than that, I've not a single regret doing it the way I've done it.

Can we stickie this to save Mavericks keyboard? :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:I am also in need this days of tyres replacement.... I have bought already the rear one but need to get the front one... I did nothing (beside oil change) the past few years and now I am paying the consequences,... I was stupid not to frequently check their pressure on a regular basis and now after mere 12500km a change is required for both....
I've had 2 rear tyres fail due to running them too long (around 14,000km each) so I've set myself a hard limit of 10,000km for a rear tyre now, and 15,000km for a front one. At best rapid deflations mean a trip to the dealer on the back of one of their trucks for me (at which point the costs incurred vastly out-strip and $$$ saved by running a tyre longer) and at worst it significantly increases the chances of an accident & injuries. I've had them "let go" 3 times now - always at "only" 50km/hr - I hate to think what would happen if one let go at 100km/hr loaded up in a corner.

They're deceptive little blighters; the start out round on the outside and round on the inside - but as they wear they so flat across the outside - but they're still round in the inside - so the two sides eventually come together at a tangent in the middle ... and it's not obvious from the outside.

One of the things I've done is added a FOBO Tyre Pressure Monitoring System; it's a pair of sensors that screw onto the valve stems and communicates with my smart phone. I've been SERIOUSLY impressed by these;

- they answered my questions promptly

- at the online checkout it was a very pleasant surprise to discover that international courier was already included in the reasonable price

- they arrived with batteries fitted - and a spare set of batteries - and some other other hardware included free of charge

- In practice they just work. 100% reliability.

You can look at the app to see your pressures at any time - and the app sets off an alarm on your phone if pressures wander outside of preset limits. Just a few weeks ago I had the bike parked outside of my workshop - I was inside - and all of a sudden my phone went nuts. I'd just come back from a ride - picked up a nail - and my rear tyre was going down at about 4 psi per hour. I was due to pick my daughter up on the bike in a couple of hours and by then the tyre probably would have been getting very dangerous - so the FOBO really saved my ass on that occasion. I'm now a huge fan of them. Batteries last about 1 year and are trivial to change.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

springer1 wrote:
I figure mine will last longer than Maverick's (LOL -trying to be humorous) because I plan on checking my valves every so often - not the frequent USA interval that Honda says, but every 4k-5k miles whenever there's a rainy day and I have the afternoon free. The intake valve was tight at the 600m check.

Mav, no offense, I'm glad your plan is working out for you (seriously) and all to their own. But not checking periodically is not for me. Plus, it's really not that hard to do and I like doing that kind of stuff - when I'm in the mood.
No offence taken at all; I can only document what I do and my thinking behind it. I like to think my logic is sound, but as I've proved to myself with my tyres, I don't always get it right.

With the valves, I'm relying on the advice of a couple of dealers; the first who said it was unlikely to change and not to worry about those checks unless there were associates signs of an issue (I guess any change probably comes from wear - and I'm possibly less likely to get that by using quality oil and changing it every 4,000km) and the second who has ridden the bike and agreed that the valves sounded fine.

It wasn't my plan to go forever without a valve check - which is why I'm annoyed that they didn't do it when asked as part of my last batch of work at 33,333km. My gut feeling is that if someone did it at 1,000km - and only changed the oil every 4,000km - before checking the valves again at 16,000km, I'd be very surprised if the valves would close enough in that time to do any damage. Just my opinion though.

It's possibly less of a big deal for many others because many don't do a lot of kilometers each year so the cost of having a dealer do it isn't a big deal. In my case I do 14,000 to 16,000km a year - and I just can't justify spending $800 a year just for valve checks when I don't think they're necessary. I'm warming to the idea of doing them myself too though - I'm quite capable - just too lazy to date :D
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Oyabun wrote:I also have a PPL
Nice to meet a fellow aviation enthusiast. I used to fly light twins at PPL level at our local aero club up to a few years ago - just got too expensive in the end (aircraft is now $600 an hour). Never-ending line of people who like to come for a ride, but nobody wants to share costs :(

How did you get the plates and screws?
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

seems really a nice thing to have ....I ll see how it goes for now and eventually add it on my next Pcx purchases,.. for this month I think I have purchased quite a bit of things for now...

5L of quality premium fully synthetic oil ( will most likely be trowing away what I have been using so far, providing was a very poorly quality one)
the Givi windsheild 322ST
the Malossi multivar 2000 variator with 10gr rollers.... ( I hope that is not going to be painful the mounting of this .... would be my first ever time really "entering" into the bike doing DYI)

I think I need as well to buy as soon as possible a front tyre providing I have bought only the rear one ( do you advice to get it of the same brand & model? or any good one would work?... for my back I have bought a Michelin city grip).... uff is becoming quite painful to find there someone that does not charges a lot for the replacing and fitting.... I thought I had secured one a couple of days ago but I was mistaken due to my "french miss understanding"... I thought he would have fitted for me the tyre on my little one but instead he said that would have just mounted the tyre on the wheel for 15 CHF... not willing to un-mount and remount it on the bike....I ll give another try tomorrow hoping to be more lucky ....

now the approach that I have decided to take regarding the tyre pressure is to check it all the times when I am filling up my PCX at the gas station ( picking up one that provides an air inflator near the pump) and it seems to be working quite well... considering my regular commute to work I would do it around every 10 days.... keeping the front tyre at 2.0 Bar and the back one at 2.2 Bar.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I used to check my tyres every week or two - as a strategy it worked just fine ... so long as I didn't have a puncture. Unfortunately, I've had 5 punctures in 34,000km. In a car a puncture "makes a bit of a sound" and can "produce a bit of a wobble" - but on a bike it's a roll of the dice; on a "good day" the back end just starts sliding all over the place (first time it happened to me was at night in the rain with daughter on back entering a roundabout and I thought it was something on the road until I figured it out). On a bad day it can cause an accident resulting in skin grafts, operating theatres, plates and screws ... or worse. I don't like operating theaters, skin grafts, or plates and screws or worse ... heck - I don't even like back end suddenly sliding all over the place unexpectedly (instant "pucker factor" of 10 out of 10 for me). So when it happened for the 3rd time I got the FOBO - and it's already saved my bacon. I'm very safety conscious - and I just wouldn't ride without it now.

With regards to replacement tyre choices - I've just stuck with the OEM ones (I think -- if they're any different then I can't tell). I've heard nothing but good things about City Grips - but my reality is that we just can't get them in that size in New Zealand - so it's a moot point for me. I'd probably go with the same brand front and rear; not sure why, but it just seems like a good idea to me. All of my tyre issue to date have been with the rear tyre. Front tyres have lasted much longer - I change them at every 15,000km now, but even at that point they're not down to the wear limit markers (although getting very close).

I've recently also added a small 12v compressor and a can of "instant tyre repair" to my top box - I've learned the hard way that having a flat tyre on a bike in the middle of nowhere is generally a very expensive situation. Pump cost me $25 and the can even less (about $16 off memory) - one pickup from the dealer cost me $70.

I must admit to being puzzled as to the reason you're fitting the "Malossi multivar 2000 variator with 10gr rollers" - I've found the stock variator to be great; good acceleration and an appropriate top speed that doesn't over-work the engine.
gauss80

Post by gauss80 »

TheMaverick wrote:I used to check my tyres every week or two - as a strategy it worked just fine ... so long as I didn't have a puncture. Unfortunately, I've had 5 punctures in 34,000km. In a car a puncture "makes a bit of a sound" and can "produce a bit of a wobble" - but on a bike it's a roll of the dice; on a "good day" the back end just starts sliding all over the place (first time it happened to me was at night in the rain with daughter on back entering a roundabout and I thought it was something on the road until I figured it out). On a bad day it can cause an accident resulting in skin grafts, operating theatres, plates and screws ... or worse. I don't like operating theaters, skin grafts, or plates and screws or worse ... heck - I don't even like back end suddenly sliding all over the place unexpectedly (instant "pucker factor" of 10 out of 10 for me). So when it happened for the 3rd time I got the FOBO - and it's already saved my bacon. I'm very safety conscious - and I just wouldn't ride without it now.

With regards to replacement tyre choices - I've just stuck with the OEM ones (I think -- if they're any different then I can't tell). I've heard nothing but good things about City Grips - but my reality is that we just can't get them in that size in New Zealand - so it's a moot point for me. I'd probably go with the same brand front and rear; not sure why, but it just seems like a good idea to me. All of my tyre issue to date have been with the rear tyre. Front tyres have lasted much longer - I change them at every 15,000km now, but even at that point they're not down to the wear limit markers (although getting very close).

I've recently also added a small 12v compressor and a can of "instant tyre repair" to my top box - I've learned the hard way that having a flat tyre on a bike in the middle of nowhere is generally a very expensive situation. Pump cost me $25 and the can even less (about $16 off memory) - one pickup from the dealer cost me $70.

I must admit to being puzzled as to the reason you're fitting the "Malossi multivar 2000 variator with 10gr rollers" - I've found the stock variator to be great; good acceleration and an appropriate top speed that doesn't over-work the engine.
Well I had your same opinion about this untill I have red Guggio (the owner of the 130K km on the Pcx) on another PCx forum that with his years of experience driving his PCx hi has adviced me this slight change... I hope to be able to translate this properly, basically an appropiate setting of this variator (keeping original sprung in the clutch) is able to simultaneously improve the engine consumption whilst going faster,... the reasoning behind of this is based on the fact that the engine on the high end speed spin lower (extraurban drive) while spinning higher on the low speeds. As a consequence of that due to the fact I am driving mainly on extra urban areas the engine allows a more optimal least fuel consuming cruising speed...having then less throttle open this = to lower consumption... I hope I have been clear enough... sorry for my bad english is a language a bit to technical for me.... here is a link to the discussion on the italian forum.....https://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t833475s30s.html (read comment of 9 July 2015)

for now I can only base my knowledge on what I have read prob a few months down from now I should be able to provide more info based on personal experience and drawing my own conclusions....

regards

G