How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:
Well I had your same opinion about this untill I have red Guggio (the owner of the 130K km on the Pcx) on another PCx forum that with his years of experience driving his PCx hi has adviced me this slight change... I hope to be able to translate this properly, basically an appropiate setting of this variator (keeping original sprung in the clutch) is able to simultaneously improve the engine consumption whilst going faster,... the reasoning behind of this is based on the fact that the engine on the high end speed spin lower (extraurban drive) while spinning higher on the low speeds. As a consequence of that due to the fact I am driving mainly on extra urban areas the engine allows a more optimal least fuel consuming cruising speed...having then less throttle open this = to lower consumption... I hope I have been clear enough... sorry for my bad english is a language a bit to technical for me.... here is a link to the discussion on the italian forum.....https://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t833475s30s.html (read comment of 9 July 2015)

for now I can only base my knowledge on what I have read prob a few months down from now I should be able to provide more info based on personal experience and drawing my own conclusions....

regards

G
Thanks for that. To be honest, I'm not qualified to know either way. I like to think that we never get anything for free though; I know some variators can increase the top speed, but in my mind, higher top speed must mean that either (a) efficiency has been improved (and if that was the case then I'd have to wonder why Honda wouldn't have done that in the first place; I figure that if they're smart enough to design and manufacture an entire motorcycle then they probably have the expertise to optimise the transmission) or (b) it just works the engine harder. Allowing for a square-law increase in aerodynamic drag, I worked out that one member must be getting another 23% power out of the engine - and my personal suspicion is that that will have an effect on engine life further on down the road.

At the other end of the scale - higher revs at lower speed seems to be a bit like revving a car higher in all gears before gear changes in that it makes for better acceleration, but I can't see how it would help with engine wear.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong - I'm just curious as to the logic behind it. At the end of the day it's also entirely possibly that neither variator has any effect on engine life - could just be that they're built like a tank (I don't think I've ever heard of one being work out).

Exciting times ahead for both of us! :)
gauss80
Year: 2013 125 Esp
Color: white

Post by gauss80 »

TheMaverick wrote:
gauss80 wrote:
Well I had your same opinion about this untill I have red Guggio (the owner of the 130K km on the Pcx) on another PCx forum that with his years of experience driving his PCx hi has adviced me this slight change... I hope to be able to translate this properly, basically an appropiate setting of this variator (keeping original sprung in the clutch) is able to simultaneously improve the engine consumption whilst going faster,... the reasoning behind of this is based on the fact that the engine on the high end speed spin lower (extraurban drive) while spinning higher on the low speeds. As a consequence of that due to the fact I am driving mainly on extra urban areas the engine allows a more optimal least fuel consuming cruising speed...having then less throttle open this = to lower consumption... I hope I have been clear enough... sorry for my bad english is a language a bit to technical for me.... here is a link to the discussion on the italian forum.....https://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t833475s30s.html (read comment of 9 July 2015)

for now I can only base my knowledge on what I have read prob a few months down from now I should be able to provide more info based on personal experience and drawing my own conclusions....

regards

G
Thanks for that. To be honest, I'm not qualified to know either way. I like to think that we never get anything for free though; I know some variators can increase the top speed, but in my mind, higher top speed must mean that either (a) efficiency has been improved (and if that was the case then I'd have to wonder why Honda wouldn't have done that in the first place; I figure that if they're smart enough to design and manufacture an entire motorcycle then they probably have the expertise to optimise the transmission) or (b) it just works the engine harder. Allowing for a square-law increase in aerodynamic drag, I worked out that one member must be getting another 23% power out of the engine - and my personal suspicion is that that will have an effect on engine life further on down the road.

At the other end of the scale - higher revs at lower speed seems to be a bit like revving a car higher in all gears before gear changes in that it makes for better acceleration, but I can't see how it would help with engine wear.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong - I'm just curious as to the logic behind it. At the end of the day it's also entirely possibly that neither variator has any effect on engine life - could just be that they're built like a tank (I don't think I've ever heard of one being work out).

Exciting times ahead for both of us! :)
for sure I think it is going to be a lot of fun to experiment the various things... only prob time will tell us if right or wrong... here prob in my case also helps the fact that living in Europe parts might be more easily accessible to me even tough I would need to get to France (30km away) or even better Italy (120Km) to pay reasonable prices...
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125/2012/gauss/535318 Image[/URL]
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

TheMaverick wrote:
Oyabun wrote:I also have a PPL
Nice to meet a fellow aviation enthusiast. I used to fly light twins at PPL level at our local aero club up to a few years ago - just got too expensive in the end.
How did you get the plates and screws?
I was fascinated by by flying ever since I've read "The night flight" from Antoine de Saint-Exupery, about age of 8. I only had a chance to start flying a lot later, I guess I was about 32 when started training on a Yak52. That bird is a blast. Nowadays I only fly very seldomly some Pipers and Chesnas. They are like using my PCX after racing a CBR600RR for years in Stock600 category compared to that old bird. They do the job, but with a lot less excitement.

That's last years result. I was joking with friends, that I always wanted to be a like the terminator. Not as tough, but living tissue on a metal frame nevertheless. ;) Broke the same ankle second time. Got into a stupid accident last year when a cage did not stop at a stop sign. I could have still avoid it if I'd be more cautious (paranoid). Not the first time having a bit more than bruises, and I'm afraid not the last either. At least I've quit racing, lowers my risk level a lot.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Oyabun wrote: I was fascinated by by flying ever since I've read "The night flight" from Antoine de Saint-Exupery, about age of 8. I only had a chance to start flying a lot later, I guess I was about 32 when started training on a Yak52. That bird is a blast. Nowadays I only fly very seldomly some Pipers and Chesnas. They are like using my PCX after racing a CBR600RR for years in Stock600 category compared to that old bird. They do the job, but with a lot less excitement.
I used to feel the same when I'd jump into a Piper Tomahawk after flying the GA-7 Cougar - was like getting into a go-kart. Heaps of fun.
That's last years result. I was joking with friends, that I always wanted to be a like the terminator. Not as tough, but living tissue on a metal frame nevertheless. ;) Broke the same ankle second time. Got into a stupid accident last year when a cage did not stop at a stop sign. I could have still avoid it if I'd be more cautious (paranoid). Not the first time having a bit more than bruises, and I'm afraid not the last either. At least I've quit racing, lowers my risk level a lot.
So the screws and plates stay in forever?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

TheMaverick wrote: So the screws and plates stay in forever?
Nope. Got it removed recently, life is much better now. It's just a reminder that I really should dress for a slide everytime, and be paranoid with cagers.
It is my hide after all not theirs.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oyabun wrote:
Nope. Got it removed recently, life is much better now. It's just a reminder that I really should dress for a slide everytime, and be paranoid with cagers.
And for the sake of balance. No screws or plates, just 40 years of riding, never dress for a “slide” and cagers is a rude and idiotic tag to put on people. Grow up please.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Oyabun wrote:
That photo is like my right leg,broke it some 31 years ago,metel plate/ 7 screws still in,may be they forgot me hospital now gone.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

you you wrote:And for the sake of balance. No screws or plates, just 40 years of riding, never dress for a “slide” and cagers is a rude and idiotic tag to put on people. Grow up please.
Really happy for you. Hope it will stay that way.
Things can be completely different in the centre of the universe I believe.
Mind you I currently live in the 2 million people capitol of a country where most of the people never rode a motorbike before they started driving, and road code compliance is half way between Germany and the horrid Russian dashcam videos on the web.
So however pejorative a tag it may sound to your otherwise less PC ears, I stand by that comment.
Get down to earth. ;-)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

dick the den wrote: That photo is like my right leg,broke it some 31 years ago,metel plate/ 7 screws still in,may be they forgot me hospital now gone.
Yup, it is about a right ankle.
The long screw was removed first, and the rest about 8 months later. My doc said that they would normally leave them in. It was about a 30 minutes operation and after healing of the big scar and the bones - my ankle movement is a lot less limited. Also less sensitive to weather change and I can comfortably wear my riding boots.