Ok... whats leaking...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Year: 2018
Color: white

Ok... whats leaking...

Post by default »

Washed the bike the other day and saw this on the brake pull thing... is it just brake dust? Looks constantly wet...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (118.81 KiB) Viewed 493 times
I have no idea wtf this is. PCX gods, help me!

Unrelated but equally confusing: why's there a little square hole beside the ignition in the plastics?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Ok... whats leaking...

Post by PCX150Rider »

Well. . .there could be brake dust in it. I've only got about 1,800 miles on my PCX and there is some brake dust in that area on the casing but not as much as yours. . . and not so much on the rear brake lever itself. I've only washed and cleaned it once so far (just got it in May) so it's due. 8)

It doesn't seem like there is anything liquid or shiny on the dust. . .not like a fresh weeping leak. Just dust. :roll:

That square hole to the upper right of your ignition switch is the CBS (Combined Brake System) brake fluid reservoir. You can look in there and check the level as prescribed in the Owners or Service Manual. I haven't had to top mine off yet but I'm betting the fairing panel is going to have to be carefully removed to do that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :geek:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote: That square hole to the upper right of your ignition switch is the CBS (Combined Brake System) brake fluid reservoir. You can look in there and check the level as prescribed in the Owners or Service Manual. I haven't had to top mine off yet but I'm betting the fairing panel is going to have to be carefully removed to do that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :geek:
Just a quick heads up - you shouldn't ever have to "top up" the brake fluid reservoirs - the levels will drop as the front pads wear because the pistons are extended further, but there's enough fluid to allow for that. If the fluids are down and the pads aren't worn then there's a leak - and obviously that would need to be taken care of ASAP.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

That's really odd. Is it moist to the touch?

Here's mine after 34,000km (it did have a brake pad change the other day, but I'm in that area quite regularly adjusting the rear brake and I haven't noticed any change).
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (76.77 KiB) Viewed 541 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Probably just normal lubricant from the brake pivot.
Clean it off thoroughly and see if it re-appears.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Probably just normal lubricant from the brake pivot.
Clean it off thoroughly and see if it re-appears.

X2
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Clean it with Brake cleaner spray and see if it comes back. Could have been an over zealous mechanic playing with his spray lube can ???