Show me your aftermarket lights

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Year: 2018
Color: white

Show me your aftermarket lights

Post by default »

So a while back I posted something asking about how much spare juice the PCX had, because I originally was thinking about putting some stupid bright LED ADV lights on the bike for better night time vision. I've since more or less abandoned that idea and part of me wants to do something stupid like put on those LED strip lights, but Im not sure where theyll go.

I know I can put some under the grab handle in the back...maybe some under the body but I havent looked under it yet (anyone got a pic of the underside of a PCX?). Theres a big part of me that wants to find a tiny "knight rider" LED for the beak area...

But beyond that Im a loss for where they could go. Anyone have any inspiration they can throw my way?

THANKS!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Show me your aftermarket lights

Post by you you »

default wrote:So a while back I posted something asking about how much spare juice the PCX had, because I originally was thinking about putting some stupid bright LED ADV lights on the bike for better night time vision. I've since more or less abandoned that idea and part of me wants to do something stupid like put on those LED strip lights, but Im not sure where theyll go.

I know I can put some under the grab handle in the back...maybe some under the body but I havent looked under it yet (anyone got a pic of the underside of a PCX?). Theres a big part of me that wants to find a tiny "knight rider" LED for the beak area...

But beyond that Im a loss for where they could go. Anyone have any inspiration they can throw my way?

THANKS!

Somebody is doing this at the moment. Bike is partially stripped. Have a search.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a Knight Rider like brake light on the license plate frame, I have LED strip lights glued to the tailbox platform, I have LED spot lights in the front attached where the side reflectors had been that I control with a switch have on the handlebar, I have two small 5 LED light assemblies attached below the headlights because the headlights are so dim during daytime riding. I also have three sets of 1 inch strobe lights set up in different spots on the bike for night time riding, that I can turn on by way of a switch on the handlebar. ...and then there are the lights I have on the tailbox. Hmmm... I wonder if I forgot any... oh, I just received some HS5 bulbs that I may try to install during the winter. ...and I have some amber strip lights i am thinking about installing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I'm the one with the partially stripped PCX.
I replaced the front turn signals with LED Flood lights (High Beams) and relocated my turn signals.
I added underglow lights to the front and rear, but I bought new ones for the front and will be replacing them.
I added strip LEDs turn signals to the back of the rear hand grip rail and I will be eliminating the stock rear turn signals.
I have LED spot lights (like Mel46) that I am mounting on the front forks.
I am adding more underglow to the center of the scoot.
I am adding EL-wire for a "Tron" look to the lines of the scoot.
The switching system I am working with will power either spot or flood lights on one switch, a second switch for the underglow
and a third switch for the EL-Wire.

The spots or floods are 18W draw(36W for two), so it's 3 amps for either or, as both will never operate together.
The COB LEDs for the underglow, of which there are 6 will draw about 2 amps total.
The EL-wire will draw just under 1.5 amps.

So, my total added amp draw it less than 10 amps. and the fused circuit I added is a 15 amp fuse.

Including building a wiring harness, the connectors, lights and other incidentals, I will have less than $100 invested.
But that doesn't include my time, but for me this is a hobby, so it's enjoyable!!

Here's a link to my PCX and some photos. More to come!!

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7708

Dave
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cheers dgnyberg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

And Mel :lol:

And yes Homie I know that you should never start a sentence with and.

Post by default »

dgnyberg wrote:I'm the one with the partially stripped PCX.
I replaced the front turn signals with LED Flood lights (High Beams) and relocated my turn signals.
I added underglow lights to the front and rear, but I bought new ones for the front and will be replacing them.
I added strip LEDs turn signals to the back of the rear hand grip rail and I will be eliminating the stock rear turn signals.
The switching system I am working with will power either spot or flood lights on one switch, a second switch for the underglow

The spots or floods are 18W draw(36W for two), so it's 3 amps for either or, as both will never operate together.
The COB LEDs for the underglow, of which there are 6 will draw about 2 amps total.

So, my total added amp draw it less than 10 amps. and the fused circuit I added is a 15 amp fuse.

Including building a wiring harness, the connectors, lights and other incidentals, I will have less than $100 invested.
But that doesn't include my time, but for me this is a hobby, so it's enjoyable!!

Dave

Awesome, Im going to look thru it now. Im happy with my LED bike, aside from the color of the turn signals (Id prefer the same color as the headlights) but I havent figured out if they were something I could do myself or not as the manual says to see dealer regarding them.

I too thought about the tron thing, but I've had bad experiences with EL wire. A long while ago I used cold cathode tubes for supreme lighting effects, but those things are very prone to breakage and im not sure they'd survive on the scoot.

if you, or anyone else, by chance has a pic of the underside of the bike with plastics on, I'd love to see it. I HATE it when you can see the light source when doing these things.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dgnyberg »

default wrote:

Dave

Awesome, Im going to look thru it now. Im happy with my LED bike, aside from the color of the turn signals (Id prefer the same color as the headlights) but I havent figured out if they were something I could do myself or not as the manual says to see dealer regarding them.

I too thought about the tron thing, but I've had bad experiences with EL wire. A long while ago I used cold cathode tubes for supreme lighting effects, but those things are very prone to breakage and im not sure they'd survive on the scoot.

if you, or anyone else, by chance has a pic of the underside of the bike with plastics on, I'd love to see it. I HATE it when you can see the light source when doing these things.
You can probably find after-market turn signals that have clear lenses, than you just have to get the color bulbs you want.
I know that on the 2013 model, the turn signal flasher needs to be changed to one that will work with LEDs.
I do have some reservations regarding the EL-Wire.
If I have problems with it, I'll switch to side-glow fiberoptics and see how those fare on the scoot.
I don't have a picture of the underside and I can't get under there with my knees in their current condition.
I'll see if my son can get a picture of it for me and then post it to my 2013 post.

Dave
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Very helpful info Dave!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You

Post by default »

dgnyberg wrote:
default wrote:

Dave

You can probably find after-market turn signals that have clear lenses, than you just have to get the color bulbs you want.
I know that on the 2013 model, the turn signal flasher needs to be changed to one that will work with LEDs.
I do have some reservations regarding the EL-Wire.
If I have problems with it, I'll switch to side-glow fiberoptics and see how those fare on the scoot.
I don't have a picture of the underside and I can't get under there with my knees in their current condition.
I'll see if my son can get a picture of it for me and then post it to my 2013 post.

Dave

I have an '18 LED model with integrated signals. No swapping them off without major surgery. Normally the first thing I do on a bike is an LED conversion to free up some juice and extend the life of the lights (bonus points for BETTER lighting and looking cool) but on my bike, Honda saw fit to do this step for me.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dgnyberg »

I haven't seen the '18 model, but from what I can tell on the Honda website, it looks like you might just be able to change the bulbs in the turn signals.

Dave