Fuel bar observations

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

Fuel bar observations

Post by slowpoke »

Based on two fill ups, I've averaged 204 miles until the final bar was the only one left (I didn't wait until that bar started blinking to find fuel). Anyhow, I noticed that the second bar (near the E side) takes forever to disappear compared to the other six (I don't count the 9th bar nearest the F because we all know that initial bar takes forever to disappear after filling up). Once the 9th bar disappears, I average about 20 miles until the next bar disappears. But the second to last bar just seems to go forever, probably almost double the miles compared to the others. Is this normal?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fuel bar observations

Post by TheMaverick »

Mine is a bit like that. At one stage I made up a little "distance remaining" chart - then I just started using the trip meter - these days I just don't really worry about it.

According to the book there's about a liter and a 1/2 left when it goes to the last solid segment - and that's enough for over 60km at city speeds. From my own fuel monitoring it has about 1 liter remaining when the last segment starts flashing (mine is the model with the 6L tank though) - so quite conservative.

Easiest way I found was to just run it to the point you're comfortable - fill up - and compare how much goes in compared to the published tank size (I fill mine to the point of overflowing too by the way).
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

Yeah, I think I'm over-analyzing my fuel gauge. Knowing I can go about 200 miles, I should just leave it at that. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that had a digital gauge. Gotta...stop...staring...at...it...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:Yeah, I think I'm over-analyzing my fuel gauge. Knowing I can go about 200 miles, I should just leave it at that. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that had a digital gauge. Gotta...stop...staring...at...it...
I did the same :)

As I see it, if you know your economy for any given speed (easily worked out) - and you know how much fuel is left at a given point (easily worked out by noting how much goes in if you fill up at that point compared to what the manufacturer states as the tank capacity) then it's a trivial matter to work out range remaining at that point.

If I'm on a long run then I'll pay more attention, but most of the time I refuel when there's "only" about 40km of range remaining ... and gas stations are only about 5km apart on average - so it's just not an issue usually. I've also got a 5L approved gas container that (after leak testing after filling) can be put under the seat for longer runs (giving me about 450km range at best economy).

Just be aware that the PCX economy does drop to about 1/2 at wide-open throttle compared to best economy. In that situation even backing off just a little makes quite a big difference.

Having just said all that, I've never run out even once - even when I've pushed it beyond the point of feeling comfortable (because I was lazy!) - I still only put 5.5L in the next day.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

A noob question: Do the fluctuating temperatures eventually affect the safety of the jug? Do you dispose of the gas if it’s been in the jug for a long time? Or do you leave it untouched unless you have to use it?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

What “jug” are you talking about? Gas can sit for a couple months without a problem.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Use a fuel additive for ethanol gas so it doesn't get phasing problems. Star Tron is a good choice. If the gas can is left half empty for a period of time then condensation can creep in and those water droplets can contaminate your gas. The Star Tron would help with that issue but it's best to keep the gas cans. . .or your scooter/motorcycle gas tanks filled up frequently. When the gas is full in the tank it reduces the surface area that can be exposed to air and hence cause condensation from humidity and temperature atmospheric fluctuations. Also it reduces the possibility of rust in metal motorcycle or scooter gas tanks. I've got a 30 year old and 20 year old motorcycle with original tanks and they are in really good shape because I practiced what I preach. 8)
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

Would a red MSR bottle be okay? I’ve got several laying around.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Use a fuel additive for ethanol gas so it doesn't get phasing problems. Star Tron is a good choice. If the gas can is left half empty for a period of time then condensation can creep in and those water droplets can contaminate your gas. The Star Tron would help with that issue but it's best to keep the gas cans. . .or your scooter/motorcycle gas tanks filled up frequently. When the gas is full in the tank it reduces the surface area that can be exposed to air and hence cause condensation from humidity and temperature atmospheric fluctuations. Also it reduces the possibility of rust in metal motorcycle or scooter gas tanks. I've got a 30 year old and 20 year old motorcycle with original tanks and they are in really good shape because I practiced what I preach. 8)

What's a phasing problem?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:What's a phasing problem?
Its when you can't select "stun" when you're beamed down on a landing party due to anomalous electromagnetic interference.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

What's a phasing problem?
Here is a brief synopsis of what "fuel phasing" is all about and how to reduce the risk of it happening in your fuel tanks.

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Its when you can't select "stun" when you're beamed down on a landing party due to anomalous electromagnetic interference.
Say Whah? :roll:

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Would a red MSR bottle be okay? I’ve got several laying around.
MSR? Those kind of bottles or tanks are designed for stoves. . .. I have no experience with those kinds of tanks. They are designed with threaded connector features. I just use regular metal or plastic gas cans like you use for lawn mowers and the like. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:What's a phasing problem?

Hate it when the phaser doesn't work. At those times I need to fall back on making gunpowder.

Those polystyrene rocks tho :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Aye, Captain, tell the kids of today that you used to have to make your own gunpowder to defeat a lizard monster on a foreign planet and they just won't believe you .
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

You mean they would scorn the Gorn?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Blazinby wrote:You mean they would scorn the Gorn?
They would be wanting an app to do it for them.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Blazinby wrote:You mean they would scorn the Gorn?
They would be wanting an app to do it for them.
Fecked if the communicators are down. And forget fraping.

Hello computer...ok google
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:Would a red MSR bottle be okay? I’ve got several laying around.
I'm not sure to be honest. They're quite sturdy & designed for some fuels (like white spirits), but I couldn't be sure that petrol wouldn't deteriorate any parts of it. I'd also be very cautious of any consequences of the fuel expanding or the bottle getting damaged.

Personally, I user a type-approved 5L plastic petrol container. It fits completely under the seat. After filling I turn it upside down and press in on the sides to ensure it doesn't leak - a feature of the container I have is that it also has a ratchet mechanism to ensure it can't vibrate undone accidentally (I don't have any safety concerns about it being under the seat PROVIDING certain potential safety issues are mitigated).

I don't know how long fuel lasts before it goes stale - I've not had any issues with fuel stored at normal temperatures for up to about 6 months -- don't think I'd like to leave it much longer than that just to be safe. It's pretty easy to just cycle it from time to time.

Hope this helps.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .so let's cut to the chase.

Bushmills or Jameson?

Gentlemen start your engines! :lol: