My driver's license test on the PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

My driver's license test on the PCX

Post by slowpoke »

Okay, so I bought the PCX about a month ago, but I didn't get my license until a few days ago. Where I live, it takes forever to schedule a road test. Anyhow, here's how it went:

I scheduled it for 8:15 in the morning. That was not a wise move. As I drove 25 miles to the test site, I was constantly blinded by the rising sun. I prayed my test would face the other direction. Sure enough, it didn't. The instructor told me that whatever I do, I could NOT lift up my visor at any time. The temperature was in the 40's and my visor was fogging even before the test started. The instructor began trailing me from behind. I drove to the first red light, where I was told to make a right. The sun was completely blinding me, the visor was fogged up, I couldn't see a damn thing. I was so afraid of lifting my visor (even just a crack) for fear he was going to fail me. So I just held my breath as long as I could until the fog evaporated. I freedive a lot and I can hold my breath for about 6 minutes, so I held it until I could see again. I never imagined my years of freediving training would come to this. At the end of the street I did two figure 8's, two right circles, and two left circles, then drove back to where I started. That was the entire test. It lasted maybe 5 minutes.

My friend, a life long Harley rider, told me these road tests are a joke and it proves nothing either way. Anyhow, the instructor asked me why I was weaving back and forth up to the red light and I explained I couldn't see due to his "no lifting visor". He admonished me, saying it was my responsibility to have sunglasses and a fog-free visor. He was right. Anyhow, he said I BARELY passed the test because of those infractions.

I heard in some other countries, they put you through the ringer getting a license and it costs hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My driver's license test on the PCX

Post by TheMaverick »

I have fond memories of my test back in about 1980; The traffic officer wrote out the bit of paper saying I'd passed and stuck it in his back pocket. Out at our bikes he had his gloves & helmet on long before me (I struggled with the old style helmet strap) (double D buckle) .. but "caught up" when he had trouble starting his bike (whew!).

We went around 2 blocks before he pulled me over - handed me the paper from his back pocket - and I rode of happily into the sunset with my indicator still flashing.

Bit strange about the "visor lifting" in your case; I think that having it fully open is a recipe for disaster (I've seen what bees do when they fly into an eyeball) - but that's just not an issue if the visor is only slightly cracked open. In-fact on my C3 Pro there's a detent which the manufacturer refers to as the "summer riding position" (or words to that effect). Seems to me that some people just like to find a problem for every solution.

Anyway ... CONGRATULATIONS on passing the "test"!
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

I should've left a crack before I started the test, but I was so nervous that my mind went blank. I had heard horror stories of examiners failing people over the slightest things. You say something stupid, fail. Examiner is having a bad day, he takes it out on you. I said "yes sir and no sir" to everything.

I've heard people who've been riding illegally for years fail these tests because they haven't done a figure 8 with an 800 lbs machine in forever. Always do these tests on a scooter or a 250cc, I'm told. When I met the examiner, I went to give him a handshake but he refused. After the test, my friend told me why he did that. It's because some people try putting money in their hands. Not sure if that's really true or not, but that's what my friend told me.

When I was in NZ, I thought about getting a license but I found the process to be too time consuming and costly. So if I ever got pulled over, I could just play the dumb tourist. Not that hard for me. I did get pulled over once, but that's because the officer advised me to drive on the quieter street (it was rush hour), even though I was legally allowed on that road. He didn't even ask me for my license or anything. I know in Australia I would have been fined 30 million dollars and probably given the electric chair. They don't take excuses from anybody, I hear. That's why I bought a bicycle helmet even though I never wore one until that point.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:I should've left a crack before I started the test, but I was so nervous that my mind went blank. I had heard horror stories of examiners failing people over the slightest things. You say something stupid, fail. Examiner is having a bad day, he takes it out on you. I said "yes sir and no sir" to everything.

I've heard people who've been riding illegally for years fail these tests because they haven't done a figure 8 with an 800 lbs machine in forever. Always do these tests on a scooter or a 250cc, I'm told. When I met the examiner, I went to give him a handshake but he refused. After the test, my friend told me why he did that. It's because some people try putting money in their hands. Not sure if that's really true or not, but that's what my friend told me.

When I was in NZ, I thought about getting a license but I found the process to be too time consuming and costly. So if I ever got pulled over, I could just play the dumb tourist. Not that hard for me. I did get pulled over once, but that's because the officer advised me to drive on the quieter street (it was rush hour), even though I was legally allowed on that road. He didn't even ask me for my license or anything. I know in Australia I would have been fined 30 million dollars and probably given the electric chair. They don't take excuses from anybody, I hear.
Wow - by the sound of it "the machine" in Terminator 1 was more friendly.

The car testing officers in these parts are "friendly", but only to a point. Perhaps they need body cams to document any bribery attempts? Sad world when it comes to that.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

BTW, I was told by somebody in Hamilton that a lot of Kiwis go to Rarotonga, pay a few dollars for the driving test, which consists of simply driving 50 meters down the road, turn back and get an international license good for several years. I hear many husbands take their wives on a brief holiday there solely for that license.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:BTW, I was told by somebody in Hamilton that a lot of Kiwis go to Rarotonga, pay a few dollars for the driving test, which consists of simply driving 50 meters down the road, turn back and get an international license good for several years. I hear many husbands take their wives on a brief holiday there solely for that license.
Haven't heard of that. As I understand it, you can only drive for 1 year on an international licence here (that's what pops up on various "Highway Patrol" type programs anyway). I find it an appalling attitude; for many kiwi drivers their deficit in driving skills is "compensated" for by their over-confident attitude - and I'm not surprised in the least that the 'kill rate" is heading in the wrong direction again this year. Personally I'd like to see periodic retesting - along with automatic licence cancellation if fines aren't paid when they're due (to put an end to this "just put it on my tab officer" attitude many seems to have).
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

slowpoke wrote:Okay, so I bought the PCX about a month ago, but I didn't get my license until a few days ago. Where I live, it takes forever to schedule a road test. Anyhow, here's how it went:

I scheduled it for 8:15 in the morning. That was not a wise move. As I drove 25 miles to the test site, I was constantly blinded by the rising sun. I prayed my test would face the other direction. Sure enough, it didn't. The instructor told me that whatever I do, I could NOT lift up my visor at any time. The temperature was in the 40's and my visor was fogging even before the test started. The instructor began trailing me from behind. I drove to the first red light, where I was told to make a right. The sun was completely blinding me, the visor was fogged up, I couldn't see a damn thing. I was so afraid of lifting my visor (even just a crack) for fear he was going to fail me. So I just held my breath as long as I could until the fog evaporated. I freedive a lot and I can hold my breath for about 6 minutes, so I held it until I could see again. I never imagined my years of freediving training would come to this. At the end of the street I did two figure 8's, two right circles, and two left circles, then drove back to where I started. That was the entire test. It lasted maybe 5 minutes.

My friend, a life long Harley rider, told me these road tests are a joke and it proves nothing either way. Anyhow, the instructor asked me why I was weaving back and forth up to the red light and I explained I couldn't see due to his "no lifting visor". He admonished me, saying it was my responsibility to have sunglasses and a fog-free visor. He was right. Anyhow, he said I BARELY passed the test because of those infractions.

I heard in some other countries, they put you through the ringer getting a license and it costs hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars.
Here in the UK you have to do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training), which costs up to £100 and should last most of the day. It sounds pretty much like your main test. This allows you to ride a bike with restricted power on L-plates for up to 2 years.

To get a full license you have to do a theory test. Then you do the part 1, which is a series of manoeuvres around a coned-out area. Then part 2, which is a ride out on the road under supervision. Theory, parts 1 and 2 (with training) can cost up to £600.

Then there are the power restrictions. There are three levels of license, based on the max power of the bike. Whichever level bike you take the test on, you're not permitted to ride anything more powerful. If you want to go on to a more powerful bike you have to take parts 1 and 2 again on that bike.

So most people do direct access and take the test on the most powerful bike. But there's also a staggered age restriction. So if you're 17 you can only take the test on the most restricted bike.

Oh, and if you take the test on an automatic, your license is restricted to riding automatics.

Expensive and confusing.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mister Paul wrote:
slowpoke wrote:Okay, so I bought the PCX about a month ago, but I didn't get my license until a few days ago. Where I live, it takes forever to schedule a road test. Anyhow, here's how it went:

Here in the UK you have to do a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training), which costs up to £100 and should last most of the day. It sounds pretty much like your main test. This allows you to ride a bike with restricted power on L-plates for up to 2 years.

To get a full license you have to do a theory test. Then you do the part 1, which is a series of manoeuvres around a coned-out area. Then part 2, which is a ride out on the road under supervision. Theory, parts 1 and 2 (with training) can cost up to £600.

Then there are the power restrictions. There are three levels of license, based on the max power of the bike. Whichever level bike you take the test on, you're not permitted to ride anything more powerful. If you want to go on to a more powerful bike you have to take parts 1 and 2 again on that bike.

So most people do direct access and take the test on the most powerful bike. But there's also a staggered age restriction. So if you're 17 you can only take the test on the most restricted bike.

Oh, and if you take the test on an automatic, your license is restricted to riding automatics.

Expensive and confusing.
It seems very comprehensive though - I wonder how the accident rates compare with countries like NZ where it's relatively easy to get a motorcycle licence?
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

In my state, I'm not sure what the restrictions are as a minor, but as an adult all you have to do is first take the written learner's permit test which costs around $20. It's a joke and anybody can pass it in their sleep without even studying the manual. Then you take the road test, which lasts a few minutes. And that's it. There are some YouTube videos where in some states you don't even go out on the road. Instead, you do a few circles in the parking lot and that's it. Anyhow, once you pass the road test you get an M license with no restrictions, no nothing. If you had no experience riding a motorcycle or scooter beforehand but managed to pass the written and road test, you can immediately go out and purchase a Hayabusa. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad system.

We're encouraged to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, which waves the road test and also gives you a reduction in your insurance rates. I took my chances with just taking the road test and almost failed. I may sign up for the MSF eventually. When I scootered in New Zealand, I was surprised how tired I was at the end of the day. I wasn't physically tired because my body was used to sitting on a bicycle for 8 hours a day for the past two years, but mentally I was drained. Since I was going quicker on the scooter, I had to be mindful of EVERYTHING at a much faster rate and that wore me out. I had not anticipated that.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

All I remember from my riding test is doing the obstacle course and crossing the street and back to the DMV parking lot. I even got a happy face drawn on my test checklist, lol. The DMV person did ask me if I was gonna upgrade my scooter, I said NO lol. The riva did look pretty old and faded.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:In my state, I'm not sure what the restrictions are as a minor, but as an adult all you have to do is first take the written learner's permit test which costs around $20. It's a joke and anybody can pass it in their sleep without even studying the manual. Then you take the road test, which lasts a few minutes. And that's it. There are some YouTube videos where in some states you don't even go out on the road. Instead, you do a few circles in the parking lot and that's it. Anyhow, once you pass the road test you get an M license with no restrictions, no nothing. If you had no experience riding a motorcycle or scooter beforehand but managed to pass the written and road test, you can immediately go out and purchase a Hayabusa. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad system.

We're encouraged to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, which waves the road test and also gives you a reduction in your insurance rates. I took my chances with just taking the road test and almost failed. I may sign up for the MSF eventually. When I scootered in New Zealand, I was surprised how tired I was at the end of the day. I wasn't physically tired because my body was used to sitting on a bicycle for 8 hours a day for the past two years, but mentally I was drained. Since I was going quicker on the scooter, I had to be mindful of EVERYTHING at a much faster rate and that wore me out. I had not anticipated that.
My personal opinion is "the more training the better" - figures vary from country to country, but a typical one tells us that motorcyclists are come 28 TIMES more likely to die than someone in a car - and that's a HUGE statistic. There are just so many traps that many people won't live long enough to make all the mistakes themselves; it's imperative that we learn from the mistakes of others. I cringe at some of the mistakes I see other motorcyclists making.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not being allowed to crack opebn the visor not only seems daft but utter tosh - not saying it's not allowed on the test but come on, to ride safely you need to crack the visor open to clear the mist and allow fresh air in, it's why they are adjustable in the first place. Madness.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:Not being allowed to crack opebn the visor not only seems daft but utter tosh - not saying it's not allowed on the test but come on, to ride safely you need to crack the visor open to clear the mist and allow fresh air in, it's why they are adjustable in the first place. Madness.
Agreed. But it seems to be one of those situations where "the testing examiner isn't always right, but they are always the testing examiner". :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

TheMaverick wrote:
iceman wrote:Not being allowed to crack opebn the visor not only seems daft but utter tosh - not saying it's not allowed on the test but come on, to ride safely you need to crack the visor open to clear the mist and allow fresh air in, it's why they are adjustable in the first place. Madness.
Agreed. But it seems to be one of those situations where "the testing examiner isn't always right, but they are always the testing examiner". :(
Rule 1: The testing examiner is always right.
Rule 2: When the testing examiner is wrong, refer to rule 1. :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

For my US motorcycle license, I took a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. I was ride tested on an a course at the end and issued a certificate. I took the certificate to the DMV and was automatically issued an M (Motorcycle) endorsement. The road test being waived is a bonus. The MSF course was well worth the $275.

In Thailand, I handed them my International Driving Permit (IDP) which was issued from the AAA (American Automobile Association) in the US. It is to accompany a valid driver's license from the country of which it is issued. I did not have my M endorsement on my US license at the time but the AAA clerk stamped the IDP as being valid for a motorcycles. The Thai official accepted it and issued me a Thai motorcycle license. All I had to do was colour, peripheral vision, depth perception and reflex tests.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

Here's a bit more detail on what happened. After I said hello and he refused my handshake, he explained to me that under no circumstances was I allowed to open the visor. I told him I had to retrieve something in the car before the test. When I got to the car, my friend told me the examiner might be one of those types who enjoys failing the examinee. I was so fearful of flunking the test that I didn't even attempt to open a crack on the visor at the stop light - I made no hand gestures toward my visor at all, my hands were on the handlebar the entire test.

I hold no grudges against the examiner. It was my responsibility to wear sunglasses and have a fog-free visor, even though I see motorcyclists all the time lifting their visors at stop lights. Perhaps I could've gotten away with just a crack, but when he said "under no circumstances", I took no chances. Anyhow, it's their rules and if I had failed it would've been my fault. And the fact that he refused my handshake makes complete sense if what my friend said was true about bribes. The examiner did his job correctly. BTW, Shoei cheaped out on their Qwest helmet. It is a great helmet, but come on, it doesn't come with a pinlock and the cheek pads give me the fish face.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:BTW, Shoei cheaped out on their Qwest helmet. It is a great helmet, but come on, it doesn't come with a pinlock and the cheek pads give me the fish face.
No pin-lock? Yikes! They're absolutely essential in winter and in the rain. Generally I find that all I need to do on my Schuberth C3 Pro (with pin-lock) is just leave the visor cracked open about 3mm even in the rain and it sorts the problem completely. Most of my fogging up is actually on the built in tinted screen.

Most cheek pads will "settle in" after a few weeks and it shouldn't be anywhere near as big an issue (wasn't for mine anyway).
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

It doesn't come with those dots (whatever they're called) on the ends of the visor where the pinlock attaches. I have to get a new pinlock-ready visor. I still would've gotten the Qwest, but come on, some cheapo $100 helmets have those dots.

I'm short but have this big fat pumpkin head. I had to order the 31mm cheek pads (it originally came with the 35). Or I can lose some weight. That ain't happening until my next trip.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:It doesn't come with those dots (whatever they're called) on the ends of the visor where the pinlock attaches. I have to get a new pinlock-ready visor. I still would've gotten the Qwest, but come on, some cheapo $100 helmets have those dots.

I'm short but have this big fat pumpkin head. I had to order the 31mm cheek pads (it originally came with the 35). Or I can lose some weight. That ain't happening until my next trip.
I hear ya!

I used to have a LX2 - was cheap, but too noisy - but it had pinlock lugs.

I need to lose a few thousand pounds too - but can't rush these things!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is interesting how much some of the states in the United States have advanced in their responses to high motorcycle deaths, and how little others have responded. When I got my first motorcycle drivers license it wasn't even a requirement to have a helmet, but I had one. The test was to ride beside a motorcycle cop for a few blocks.

As I moved from state to state the license followed me...essentially trade in your drivers license for one from that state. Some states required a riding test, but most just traded one state license for another.

When I moved to Georgia the clerk forgot to add my "M" (motorcycle endorsement), and when I realized that they had forgotten it they had already destroyed my previous license, so I had to take the tests again. This required a written test AND a course riding test. Previous other states did not do the course but did a riding test on the streets instead.

Essentially, every state seems to do its own thing. Several states around Georgia do not require a helmet still. I think the number of motorcycle deaths would drop considerably if all state tests were uniform.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers