Sturgis?? Really??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Sturgis?? Really??

Post by Mel46 »

So, as most of you know or have read, the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota is happening this month, whether we like it or not. I have read comments from those who live there, and those who are at the rally.

The town council sees it as good for their economy. One member said that there were other places that had gatherings (no where near as large as this) and no one got sick there, so they should be fine with this gathering. (REALLY?!!)

The people who have to Live and work there are worried about Covid-19.

...and then there are the bikers. The bikers say that they just want to have fun. Several said that they were tired of being restricted in their activities, so they came up there to enjoy the freedom.

Knowing the attitudes there, I wonder if anyone has considered what the fallout will be when 250,000 people from all across the United States gather in one place for an extended time, and then take whatever they caught back to their home town, and to the businesses on the road back to there?!

It takes 14 days for symtoms of the virus to show up. Next month's statistics should be an eye opener. The medical professionals know what this virus can do. I would suggest that people take this thing more seriously than they apparently are, or there may not be a civilization in the not too distant future.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Sturgis?? Really??

Post by Old Scoot »

That is why there are wise people who don't go to such gatherings, wise people stand above those stupid and ignorant things that call themselves human beings whom think: it can't harm us, we won't get sick and as a presidential clown said/says: there is nothing to worry about......... just inject the sick with disinfection fluid that'll help..........
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I can understand the frustration.

However, I think it's a recipe for disaster to have a lot of people gathered together these days and not practicing recommended guidelines from the health experts.

Supply lines of PPE are still a concern.

At the end of the day we had two choices on how to deal with this virus initially (in light of the fact there is no vaccine).

1) Let Nature do it's thing . . . some would die . . . and the herd immunity theory would evolve. (basically what happened in 1918)

2) Have a united front against the spread of the virus by everyone following guidelines from the CDC and WHO or medical science in general.

Of course we all hope for an effective vaccine ASAP. But at this point in time we are still trying to keep our heads above water considering the situation.

That said there has been some confusion from the "get go" about what is and isn't appropriate or what instructions should be relied upon and followed to the letter.

The elephant in the room seems to be "MONEY" and all interests there attached.

As the old saying goes you reap what you sow and if you sow a virus so it shall be reaped and the beat goes on . . .. :? o_O :(
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Old Grinner wrote:...........As the old saying goes you reap what you sow and if you sow a virus so it shall be reaped and the beat goes on . . .. :? o_O :(

:D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Lessons not learned from history.
What do you expect when you elect an incoherent ignorant orange baboon.
https://fullfact.org/online/1918-philad ... t-checked/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

No problem ,Clorox and Lysol tablets now come in chewables ??? The cure ??? LOL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

This version featuring Buddy Rich's 11 year old daughter Cathy is much better

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It’s a low level SARS variant.

The symptoms will be minor if any. It’s only likely to be dangerous if you have multiple co-morbidities or towards end of life.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

you you wrote:It’s a low level SARS variant.

The symptoms will be minor if any. It’s only likely to be dangerous if you have multiple co-morbidities or towards end of life.
Which I do, and am - so I don't want any of those Sturgis imbeciles headed my way after the rally. :x :x
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

About life . . ..

While we are on the subject of motorcycle stuff and medical problems let us reflect on wisdom and deep thought from Dr. House. :geek:

He rode a Honda didn't he? :D

Take it from him . . . life is indeed pain.

The thing is what we do about it. ;)

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:It’s a low level SARS variant.

How do you know that ???
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Lessons not learned from history.
He's known as Agent Orange here, in some circles.
Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I read that local Indian Nations will not let the bikers through their lands.
A confrontation might happen.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If we think about the fallout from this gathering, consider this: no matter who is leading the nation the choices we make as individuals are our own. Even though we may feel that we are safe in doing things that others would call dangerous, we should always consider how our actions might affect others that we come in contact with. Life is hard enough. We shouldn't make it even harder. Think of others as you go about your business each day. They may not be as 'lucky' as you believe that you are.

Remember the Golden Rule: Do to others what you would want them to do to you. In this case, ...what you would want them to do to you and your family.

Also, don't blame others for your choices. Take responsibility for your own actions.

All of those are words of wisdom that I learned to live by a long, long time ago.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Mel46 wrote:If we think about the fallout from this gathering, consider this: no matter who is leading the nation the choices we make as individuals are our own. Even though we may feel that we are safe in doing things that others would call dangerous, we should always consider how our actions might affect others that we come in contact with. Life is hard enough. We shouldn't make it even harder. Think of others as you go about your business each day. They may not be as 'lucky' as you believe that you are.

Remember the Golden Rule: Do to others what you would want them to do to you. In this case, ...what you would want them to do to you and your family.

Also, don't blame others for your choices. Take responsibility for your own actions.

All of those are words of wisdom that I learned to live by a long, long time ago.
I like that one !!True.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Which I do, and am - so I don't want any of those Sturgis imbeciles headed my way after the rally. :x :x
At least Daytona Week was over last March.

I guess not too many were wearing masks at that time. And I think there was still some confusion due to mixed messages about whether or not masks were effective. So things were what they were.

But now that it's a fact that masks should be worn along with the social distancing and personal hygiene there's no excuse for not having one unless your local store was "out of this item".

Today on ABC news I saw a quick report on some mask testing and it seems that the cloth type masks are not all they are cracked up to be. The valve type masks protect on the inhale but not so much on the exhale . . . which means "others" get effected.

The cloth masks sort of break up the bigger droplets into smaller droplets and the droplets continue to spread. Here's a link to the story https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/sci ... d=72285844

I prefer the blue paper type surgical masks myself. :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Lessons not learned from history.

To be fair we do have our own incoherent ignorant albino baboon.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Baboons or no baboons, we are STILL responsible for our own actions. If someone told you that it was good to jump off of a skyscraper your inner warning alarm would sound. If someone told you that you would be safe standing in the middle of an active battle field, your inner warning alarm would sound. Listen to your alarm. If everyone else is putting on a mask for safety, listen to your inner alarm. Put on a mask. Then you can talk about how effective it is, sort of like when you put on a gas mask in war..

If you feel that everyone else is wrong, go home and then take off your mask. THAT is your right. What is NOT your right is to cough in someone else's face.

There use to be a saying that went something like this: Your rights end where mine begin. A person has certain rights before the law, but when another person is present, his or her rights must then be taken into consideration so that there is no conflict.

Unfortunately what we are seeing instead are people who feel strongly that it is their right to impose their rights on others, and if they are asked to respect other people's rights by, say wearing a mask when near them, they feel that it is also their right to physically attack that individual who asked them, thus imposing their rights on others once again.

It all comes down to the Golden Rule. Please try to live by it, for everyone's sake.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Baboons or no baboons, we are STILL responsible for our own actions.
Good words of wisdom Mel. :D

"The Art of the Deal" :lol:

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Baboons or no baboons, we are STILL responsible for our own actions. If someone told you that it was good to jump off of a skyscraper your inner warning alarm would sound. If someone told you that you would be safe standing in the middle of an active battle field, your inner warning alarm would sound. Listen to your alarm. If everyone else is putting on a mask for safety, listen to your inner alarm. Put on a mask. Then you can talk about how effective it is, sort of like when you put on a gas mask in war..

If you feel that everyone else is wrong, go home and then take off your mask. THAT is your right. What is NOT your right is to cough in someone else's face.

There use to be a saying that went something like this: Your rights end where mine begin. A person has certain rights before the law, but when another person is present, his or her rights must then be taken into consideration so that there is no conflict.

Unfortunately what we are seeing instead are people who feel strongly that it is their right to impose their rights on others, and if they are asked to respect other people's rights by, say wearing a mask when near them, they feel that it is also their right to physically attack that individual who asked them, thus imposing their rights on others once again.

It all comes down to the Golden Rule. Please try to live by it, for everyone's sake.

Not being facetious Mel but what is the “Golden Rule”?