Gas tank fill up

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Gas tank fill up

Post by TheMaverick »

Hax wrote:In the UK it costs me the equivalent of $10 to fill up. However I am getting a consistent 145 mpg out of my 2016 bike. This has increased from 130 when brand new.
According to WolframAlpha, that's 51.33 kilometers per litre - which is very good. Closest I've managed so far in my 2013 PCX is a shade under 45.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote: You must be getting good gas milage. I'm happy if the last bar start to blink at 100 miles on the oddo. I have the 1.6 gal tank and have filled up too 1.42 on occasions. I also fill my tank to the brim.
Gil
It would depend on how fast you're riding on average. Those figures equate to 27.77 km/L which is very close to what I get at wide open throttle (On Tuesday I was WOT for most of 60km and recorded 26.09 km/L) - if you're doing city speeds you should be well over 40 km/L though (I sit around 43-45 km/L in at city speeds of 50-60km/hr).
You are right TheMaverick, when I bought the scoot i was expecting 100 mpg, but i'm riding at close to WOT when commuting to school. I'm traying to change my driving habits by accelerating slower and taking the longer way home.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Gil, your fully says average of 79.2 mpg?? Gees... if anything I would expect it closer to the advertised 100 mpg. I have gotten as high as 114 mpg and as low as 96 mpg, but 79 mpg means to me that you jump off of the line wot, then you stay that way until you reach the next light. The PCX runs nice as it is. It doesn't need to be cranked to its max to get ahead of traffic. Many of the cars these days have modified transmissions that allow for slower transition to top end, which improves gas mileage. Try riding in the middle of the traffic for a week without trying to jump ahead and you should see a good change to your average.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Gil, your fully says average of 79.2 mpg?? Gees... if anything I would expect it closer to the advertised 100 mpg. I have gotten as high as 114 mpg and as low as 96 mpg, but 79 mpg means to me that you jump off of the line wot, then you stay that way until you reach the next light. The PCX runs nice as it is. It doesn't need to be cranked to its max to get ahead of traffic. Many of the cars these days have modified transmissions that allow for slower transition to top end, which improves gas mileage. Try riding in the middle of the traffic for a week without trying to jump ahead and you should see a good change to your average.
I'll be trying that out. Thanks for the tip. My best ever has been 104 mpg, only once though.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

i filled my tank with grape juice and for some reason it wont start. anything is better then gas it cost so much now
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

eggman wrote:i filled my tank with grape juice and for some reason it wont start. anything is better then gas it cost so much now
Here in New Zealand Coka-Cola costs more than petrol.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

depends if cola is on sale here sometimes they have for like 1 buck 90 per gallon
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

eggman wrote:i filled my tank with grape juice and for some reason it wont start. anything is better then gas it cost so much now

At least you aren't wining about it. :D
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

PaCoX wrote:Pardon the slight topic deviation, but has anyone found out how many miles (or kilometers) the PCX will go after the last fuel gauge bar starts blinking, if using in the city (not highway)?
Based on what's left when i fill up after it's blinking and my mpg, i estimate 15-25 miles.
Mel46 wrote:Gil, your fully says average of 79.2 mpg?? Gees... if anything I would expect it closer to the advertised 100 mpg.
I wouldn't. As you can see here: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2013 the average is 91mpg. It seems Gil and I are both suffering from below average results. Ever since i had the dealer do the 600 mile service, mileage and top speed have been suffering. The dealer hasn't touched my bike since, but i still haven't found the problem.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Hax wrote:In the UK it costs me the equivalent of $10 to fill up.
Equivalent of $10 in which currency?

It costs me around about $10 in New Zealand dollars.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

cessna151 wrote: I wouldn't. As you can see here: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2013 the average is 91mpg. It seems Gil and I are both suffering from below average results. Ever since i had the dealer do the 600 mile service, mileage and top speed have been suffering. The dealer hasn't touched my bike since, but i still haven't found the problem.
I think' that it might be normal, I do ride in windy conditions and do mostly highway speeds, although I try to take side roads that are ~50 mph. I have ridden in different conditions and have gotten much better results. I did notice on Fuelly.com that the LED PCX's have better MPG, although it could be due to their lower number of scoots.

Gil
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

cessna151 wrote:
PaCoX wrote:Pardon the slight topic deviation, but has anyone found out how many miles (or kilometers) the PCX will go after the last fuel gauge bar starts blinking, if using in the city (not highway)?
Based on what's left when i fill up after it's blinking and my mpg, i estimate 15-25 miles.
Mel46 wrote:Gil, your fully says average of 79.2 mpg?? Gees... if anything I would expect it closer to the advertised 100 mpg.
I wouldn't. As you can see here: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2013 the average is 91mpg. It seems Gil and I are both suffering from below average results. Ever since i had the dealer do the 600 mile service, mileage and top speed have been suffering. The dealer hasn't touched my bike since, but i still haven't found the problem.
After reading your post again, it occurred to me that it might be the valve adjustment that lowered your mpg. Last week I adjusted my scooters valves, days later when I had it idling, I noticed a ticking noise from the head of the engine. I used a long screw driver as a stethoscope to find the source of the noise. I adjusted the valves again, good job this time, and the engine feels smooth. How many miles on your PCX now?

Gil
ImageImage
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Hmmm ..... won’t start eh? Was that the store brand or the good stuff ?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
Hmmm ..... won’t start eh? Was that the store brand or the good stuff ?

Grape juice is a waste of wine...

Hic
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When you think about gas miles on a PCX you have to think about what speeds and conditions it was built for. If I remember correctly it gets its best gas mileage at 45 mph. It is a great scooter for riding around in the city, and for quiet rides in the country. Many of the country roads have a 45 mph speed limit. That's where I get my best gas mileage, and it is also where I enjoy the ride the most.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Agree. PCX @45mph is the sweet spot. From there I can pick up speed or slow it down.

I may have to dodge that kitty spotted on the shoulder of the road waiting to spring out. Good to know PCX has more power to give or take away :) I like choices.

What is it about riding full throttle on a PCX? Why not buy the proper bike for the intended (fast) ride?
Me, I'd tire very quickly. Maybe it's an age related thing? Going fast (GFATT) all the time? :roll:
To each his/her own, just be Safe whilst rolling. Just my input.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Gil wrote:
After reading your post again, it occurred to me that it might be the valve adjustment that lowered your mpg. Last week I adjusted my scooters valves, days later when I had it idling, I noticed a ticking noise from the head of the engine. I used a long screw driver as a stethoscope to find the source of the noise. I adjusted the valves again, good job this time, and the engine feels smooth. How many miles on your PCX now?

Gil
The dealer only charged for an oil change and i hung out at the dealer while they did it. Whatever they did didn't take very long. I did the valve check myself at 2,500 miles and it was perfect. It's approaching 17,000 miles now.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

cessna151 wrote:
Gil wrote:

Gil
The dealer only charged for an oil change and i hung out at the dealer while they did it. Whatever they did didn't take very long. I did the valve check myself at 2,500 miles and it was perfect. It's approaching 17,000 miles now.

I see, maybe you were just cautious with the break in.

Gil
ImageImage
MikeWard
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by MikeWard »

Well, mine got 8,5 litres of gas. Wasn't it 8 liter capacity? (Honda pcx 150 i 2016)
He filled it till the top of the tank, but 500 ml more?
A/w it costed 12 euro 1.1795 dollars.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeWard wrote:Well, mine got 8,5 litres of gas. Wasn't it 8 liter capacity? (Honda pcx 150 i 2016)
He filled it till the top of the tank, but 500 ml more?
A/w it costed 12 euro 1.1795 dollars.

11.795 dollars?