The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Hello folks!

I'm going to a training course here in Arizona that has several motorcycles/scooters, they qualify you and give you a certification for the DMV to get your license. I've rode a small 49cc Scooter in Bermuda around 6 years ago and it never left my mind how fun it was! Even though it was only 30mph max speed lol.

Now, I love the PCX150, I just went to a Honda Powersports dealer, the rep there was super awesome. I sat on the scooter, really comfortable, and the mirrors are perfect although I'll always check my blind spot by quickly looking. I also love the under seat storage, I can fit my AR-15 there no sweat as long as it's broken down.

Here's the questions.

-I'm 5'7 340lbs, how well will this Scooter move me along? My area in Phoenix is mostly miles and miles of flat land and the speed limit is 40mph strictly enforced. Would my weight seriously hinder the acceleration from 0-20mph, basically if you wanted to get out of the way of impending danger etc.

-The highways are 55mph and 65mph mostly. I'm NOT looking to travel long distances on the highway, but can this Scooter get me up to 65-75mph? I don't want people honking at me because I'm slowing traffic etc. The rep at the dealership said and I quote "oh no, you cannot take this on the highway, it's not allowed, you need a bigger engine". ?? True?

-Is there a gas gauge anywhere? I didn't start it up, but I noticed there was no gas gauge unless I missed it somehow. This was a 2017 model in White. I want white because it's easier to spot for other drivers plus it's a bit less hot to the touch in the Arizona heat.

So that's really it, I can't wait to get this, super excited! I don't want a regular motorcycle, because honestly I don't want to shift I'd rather the automatic transmission. It will be used for leisure and going to local stores, local trips etc. Arizona has some of the best streets, no pot holes pretty much.

Thank you folks, cheers! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
I forgot to ask, what's the difference between the 2017 model and 2018? The rep at the dealer said "nothing".

How many miles can you get out of these things, like do they often break down after 40-50,000 miles? Can it last years? I know maintenance is paramount here, so it will be brought in for service regularly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 pm
Posts: 5501
Location: Chicagoland
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White
Trevor wrote:
I also love the under seat storage, I can fit my AR-15 there no sweat as long as it's broken down. :lol: :lol: :lol: come on by Chicago town any time, that's how we roll.

Here's the questions.

-I'm 5'7 340lbs, Would my weight seriously hinder the acceleration from 0-20mph, :lol: Who is this please? youyou stop clowning around.

The rep at the dealership said and I quote "oh no, you cannot take this on the highway, it's not allowed, you need a bigger engine". ?? True? Well maybe in Arizona but NOT on Chicagoland expressways o_O not if you want to make it off alive.

Is there a gas gauge anywhere? I didn't start it up, but I noticed there was no gas gauge unless I missed it somehow. This was a 2017 model in White. I want white because it's easier to spot for other drivers plus it's a bit less hot to the touch in the Arizona heat. It's a digital bar fuel gauge.

Arizona has some of the best streets, no pot holes. No, but you have to dodge the migrants who keep them filled. :lol: :lol: :lol: youyou knock it off :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:14 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Ok cool, I probably overlooked that fuel gauge when the rep turned the key to show me the under seat storage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:07 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 123
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
The scoot will barely do 65 MPH on the Highway, if conditions permit. I just ride on the slow lane and try to draft some bigger vehicles. The scoot is suited for city riding and 50-55 MPH roads. I only hesitate to take it into the highway when it's a windy day, unless it's a tailwind. It's the perfect city scooter though, The lightweight, CVT transmission and short wheelbase makes it nimble for splitting lanes, here in California.


Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150
    NCY Variator kit
    IRC tires
    LED driving lights
    Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:41 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Hi Trevor,

Trevor wrote:
I'm 5'7 340lbs, how well will this Scooter move me along?


Short answer: "just fine". By my calculations your weight is about 155kg - more than mine, but not by a huge margin. Add that to the weight of the bike (both weights need to be accelerated and braked) and there wouldn't be a lot of difference percentage wise. I've also done over 5,000km with my daughter on the back - she's not a small girl either - so we're definitely right up against the 180kg weight limit for the bike (wink, wink) and even that's absolutely fine. There's really 2 parts to carrying a pillion - the all-up weight and the overall balance; weight wise - yes - the scooter knows it's there and it works the engine, transmission, and brakes a little harder when she's on the back, but so what - it's a work-horse - and it handles it just fine. With pillions it's all about balance - my daughter has spent so much time on the back that for me it's like having an automatic pilot in that she leans just the right amount to steer the bike that I only ever have to make tiny corrections - sometimes I even forget she's there. Reason I mention all that is that even with just the rider, it's still all about balance - once you've mastered the counter-steering, balancing, and power co-ordination necessary to balance turns you just don't feel the weight - no matter how heavy the bike and rider is. I don't give it a moment's thought these days.

Quote:
My area in Phoenix is mostly miles and miles of flat land and the speed limit is 40mph strictly enforced. Would my weight seriously hinder the acceleration from 0-20mph, basically if you wanted to get out of the way of impending danger etc.


Not really. I'm usually first away at the lights by a huge margin. If some car WANTS to take you on in a drag race they'll win, but so what? Had that happen to me just yesterday - I pulled into the left lane, some lightweight car in the right - both of us going through. Lights went green and I did my usual speedy get-away, but couldn't see him in my mirror at the merge, but could still hear his engine revving it's little heart out behind me - so I knew what was about to happen - and sure enough he goes flying by me about 15 km/hr over the limit as I leveled off at the limit. Anyone would think the lead of the world driver's championship was at stake. But to answer your question, at your weight, you'll still pull away first most of the time - if you want to.

Quote:
-The highways are 55mph and 65mph mostly. I'm NOT looking to travel long distances on the highway, but can this Scooter get me up to 65-75mph? I don't want people honking at me because I'm slowing traffic etc. The rep at the dealership said and I quote "oh no, you cannot take this on the highway, it's not allowed, you need a bigger engine". ?? True?


The rev limiter on mine kicks in at 112 km/hr on the clock - and the clock over-reads by exactly 10% - so my true max speed is about 101km/hr (about 63MPH) in wind neutral conditions. If you're punching into a head wind then that WILL knock your speed back (sometimes quite significantly), and your weight will possibly knock another tiny amount off the top speed due to increased wind and rolling resistance). Our motorway has two lanes and a 100km/hr limit. Usually I'm going about the same speed as traffic likes to travel in the slower of the two lanes, but am at wide open throttle to do it - and on a 5km run, usually 2 or 3 cars will pass me in the other lane - and more often than not I pass them back at the end because the bike is generally more maneuverable plus I can get more aggressive on the brakes. How all that translates to your situation, sorry, I have no idea. Fuel economy drops to around 1/2 at wide-open throttle by the way. 2 things worth mentioning; (1) even if you are slightly slower, you're also narrow - and it's generally not difficult to flick on an indicator and get out of other peoples way if they want to get past, and (2) there are mods that can be done to increase the top speed. I've chosen not to do the latter because (a) I'm happy enough with my bike's top speed as it is and (b) I'm of the opinion that we never get anything for nothing and I'm concerned that working that small engine even harder than they designed it to be worked will probably have a disproportionate effect on engine life. No evidence to support that -- just my opinion, so take it as you'd like.

For what it's worth, Honda also have some very nice automatic bikes such as the NC750X DCT - only operating difference compared to the PCX is that the rear brake is on your right foot rather than left handlebar.

Quote:
-Is there a gas gauge anywhere? I didn't start it up, but I noticed there was no gas gauge unless I missed it somehow. This was a 2017 model in White. I want white because it's easier to spot for other drivers plus it's a bit less hot to the touch in the Arizona heat.


It's on the instrument panel. Mine stays on 9 bars (ie "full") for about the first 80km and then drops to 1 bar flashing at around 220km if I'm only running city speeds. Having said that, mine is a 2014 model with only a 6l tank - your will probably have an 8l tank and possibly slightly better economy. I understand that the tank on the newer models is in a different position, so the gauge behaviour may well be different. I sometimes carry an extra 5l under the seat (in an approved container) if doing long runs at full speed where there's no gas stations.

Quote:
So that's really it, I can't wait to get this, super excited! I don't want a regular motorcycle, because honestly I don't want to shift I'd rather the automatic transmission. It will be used for leisure and going to local stores, local trips etc. Arizona has some of the best streets, no pot holes pretty much.

Thank you folks, cheers! :D


Hope it works out well for you. I find driving a car sooooo boring compared to the PCX. Please make a personal commitment to your safety though - stats show that motorcycle riders are some 28 to 32 TIMES (not percent) more likely to be injured compared to a cager - that's a staggering statistic. I believe that the list of people who have come a cropper here is quite a long one too - so it's serious stuff. The course you're doing is a great first step, but please don't stop there. A couple of resources I like to mention to new members is Kevin Morris's MC Rider channel on YouTube (Kevin is a professional motorcycle instructor) and has done great instructional videos on a lot of important topics (a lot of which just isn't obvious to motorcycles riders until it's been explained -- like why cars don't see you and pull out in front of you at intersections - and how to avoid getting hit from behind). You can find Kevin's channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22. Last and least, I also run a pathetic little Facebook page under the name of "Motorcycle Tips and Tricks to Stay Alive": https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleTips ... StayAlive/

Hope some of this helps.


Last edited by TheMaverick on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:42 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Gil wrote:
The scoot will barely do 65 MPH on the Highway, if conditions permit. I just ride on the slow lane and try to draft some bigger vehicles. The scoot is suited for city riding and 50-55 MPH roads. I only hesitate to take it into the highway when it's a windy day, unless it's a tailwind. It's the perfect city scooter though, The lightweight, CVT transmission and short wheelbase makes it nimble for splitting lanes, here in California.


Gil


AWESOME! That's exactly what I was looking for. Even driving to work I could stick to the 40mph streets which area quite nice. I'm 37 years old, and sitting on that scooter made me feel like a kid again hahaha.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
TheMaverick wrote:
Hi Trevor,

Trevor wrote:
I'm 5'7 340lbs, how well will this Scooter move me along?


Short answer: "just fine". By my calculations your weight is about 155kg - more than mine, but not by a huge margin. Add that to the weight of the bike (both weights need to be accelerated and braked) and there wouldn't be a lot of difference percentage wise. I've also done over 5,000km with my daughter on the back - she's not a small girl either - so we're definitely right up against the 180kg weight limit for the bike (wink, wink) and even that's absolutely fine. There's really 2 parts to carrying a pillion - the all-up weight and the overall balance; weight wise - yes - the scooter knows it's there and it works the engine, transmission, and brakes a little harder when she's on the back, but so what - it's a work-horse - and it handles it just fine. With pillions it's all about balance - my daughter has spent so much time on the back that for me it's like having an automatic pilot in that she leans just the right amount to steer the bike that I only ever have to make tiny corrections - sometimes I even forget she's there. Reason I mention all that is that even with just the rider, it's still all about balance - once you've mastered the counter-steering, balancing, and power co-ordination necessary to balance turns you just don't feel the weight - no matter how heavy the bike and rider is. I don't give it a moment's thought these days.

Quote:
My area in Phoenix is mostly miles and miles of flat land and the speed limit is 40mph strictly enforced. Would my weight seriously hinder the acceleration from 0-20mph, basically if you wanted to get out of the way of impending danger etc.


Not really. I'm usually first away at the lights by a huge margin. If some car WANTS to take you on in a drag race they'll win, but so what? Had that happen to me just yesterday - I pulled into the left lane, some lightweight car in the right - both of us going through. Lights went green and I did my usual speedy get-away, but couldn't see him in my mirror at the merge, but could still hear his engine revving it's little heart out behind me - so I knew what was about to happen - and sure enough he goes flying by me about 15 km/hr over the limit as I leveled off at the limit. Anyone would think the lead of the world driver's championship was at stake. But to answer your question, at your weight, you'll still pull away first most of the time - if you want to.

Quote:
-The highways are 55mph and 65mph mostly. I'm NOT looking to travel long distances on the highway, but can this Scooter get me up to 65-75mph? I don't want people honking at me because I'm slowing traffic etc. The rep at the dealership said and I quote "oh no, you cannot take this on the highway, it's not allowed, you need a bigger engine". ?? True?


The rev limiter on mine kicks in at 112 km/hr on the clock - and the clock over-reads by exactly 10% - so my true max speed is about 101km/hr (about 63MPH) in wind neutral conditions. If you're punching into a head wind then that WILL knock your speed back (sometimes quite significantly), and your weight will possibly knock another tiny amount off the top speed due to increased wind and rolling resistance). Our motorway has two lanes and a 100km/hr limit. Usually I'm going about the same speed as traffic likes to travel in the slower of the two lanes, but am at wide open throttle to do it - and on a 5km run, usually 2 or 3 cars will pass me in the other lane - and more often than not I pass them back at the end because the bike is generally more maneuverable plus I can get more aggressive on the brakes. How all that translates to your situation, sorry, I have no idea. Fuel economy drops to around 1/2 at wide-open throttle by the way. 2 things worth mentioning; (1) even if you are slightly slower, you're also narrow - and it's generally not difficult to flick on an indicator and get out of other peoples way if they want to get past, and (2) there are mods that can be done to increase the top speed. I've chosen not to do the latter because (a) I'm happy enough with my bike's top speed as it is and (b) I'm of the opinion that we never get anything for nothing and I'm concerned that working that small engine even harder than they designed it to be worked will probably have a disproportionate effect on engine life. No evidence to support that -- just my opinion, so take it as you'd like.

For what it's worth, Honda also have some very nice automatic bikes such as the NC750X DCT - only operating difference compared to the PCX is that the rear brake is on your right foot rather than left handlebar.

Quote:
-Is there a gas gauge anywhere? I didn't start it up, but I noticed there was no gas gauge unless I missed it somehow. This was a 2017 model in White. I want white because it's easier to spot for other drivers plus it's a bit less hot to the touch in the Arizona heat.


It's on the instrument panel. Mine stays on 9 bars (ie "full") for about the first 80km and then drops to 1 bar flashing at around 220km if I'm only running city speeds. Having said that, mine is a 2014 model with only a 6l tank - your will probably have an 8l tank and possibly slightly better economy. I understand that the tank on the newer models is in a different position, so the gauge behaviour may well be different. I sometimes carry an extra 5l under the seat (in an approved container) if doing long runs at full speed where there's no gas stations.

Quote:
So that's really it, I can't wait to get this, super excited! I don't want a regular motorcycle, because honestly I don't want to shift I'd rather the automatic transmission. It will be used for leisure and going to local stores, local trips etc. Arizona has some of the best streets, no pot holes pretty much.

Thank you folks, cheers! :D


Hope it works out well for you. I find driving a car sooooo boring compared to the PCX. Please make a personal commitment to your safety though - stats show that motorcycle riders are some 28 to 32 TIMES (not percent) more likely to be injured compared to a cager - that's a staggering statistic. I believe that the list of people who have come a cropper here is quite a long one too - so it's serious stuff. The course you're doing is a great first step, but please don't stop there. A couple of resources I like to mention to new members is Kevin Morris's MC Rider channel on YouTube (Kevin is a professional motorcycle instructor) and has done great instructional videos on a lot of important topics (a lot of which just isn't obvious to motorcycles riders until it's been explained -- like why cars don't see you and pull out in front of you at intersections - and how to avoid getting hit from behind). You can find Kevin's channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22. Last and least, I also run a pathetic little Facebook page under the name of "Motorcycle Tips and Tricks to Stay Alive": https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleTips ... StayAlive/

Hope some of this helps.


WOW epic post, learned a ton! Thanks brother! BTW I didn't mean that I wanted to "drag race" people from a stop lol. I meant, let's say you see someone texting and driving and not stopping behind you, and approaching you, can this little scooter get out of the way. Let's say someone is clearly running up to you to car jack (scooter jack lol) you can this thing "move out" to get away quick.

Thanks again and enjoy your night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Trevor wrote:

WOW epic post, learned a ton! Thanks brother! BTW I didn't mean that I wanted to "drag race" people from a stop lol. I meant, let's say you see someone texting and driving and not stopping behind you, and approaching you, can this little scooter get out of the way. Let's say someone is clearly running up to you to car jack (scooter jack lol) you can this thing "move out" to get away quick.

Thanks again and enjoy your night.


No worries. Yeah - know where you're coming from. When you haven't ridden the scoot much I think the common reaction is one of feeling like you're catching up from behind (ie "will I be able to keep up") - but after a while I think that probably changes to be more along the lines of "lead, follow, or just get the hell out of my way" and you start feeling like at least an "equal" to city traffic and in many cases somewhat "superior". Different story on the open road though where regular vehicles are more than a match power wise. But off the line - generally - you'll be the one leading the pack, not following them, if you want to be.

With regards to "getting out the way of someone approaching from behind", I think the most accurate answer is "no more and no less than any other rider". You're always going to be "in gear" and you may or may not have the engine running (our model had idle-stop that turns of the engine after 3 seconds of idling and starts it again in about 1/2 a second when the throttle grip is twisted, but I know it's not fitted in all countries for some reason). Most important thing is to position yourself so that you have an escape route and are watching your mirrors. Where you stop and how far behind the vehicle in front you stop also affects your visibility to any vehicle waiting for the car in front of you clear an intersection before they turn.

Kevin has a great video addressing the first:



And the 2nd:



Chap I know gives a painful example of what not to do:

https://www.facebook.com/logan.shore.3/ ... 203278931/

If someone tries to "bike jack" you then - frankly - who the hell knows. Not something I have any expertise in to be honest. I'd think it'll depend on time and distance. The bike is still quite a heavy beast so I doubt anyone would be able to hold you back with just hand strength - and I think even grabbing you from behind in a "bear hug" probably still would be challenging for them if you've got a good grip on the handlebars. From the side though, different story - easy enough to push any motorcyclist off. If anyone wanted to bike-jack me I'd give them the keys and a few helpful hints before calling my insurance company and getting a brand new bike ordered same day :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:23 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Nice points, so true. I regularly train for self defense shooting (my hobby-guns) and I always look at my surroundings and feel out the area. I know that sounds paranoid, but trust me I got out of a lot of jams and hairy situations by just knowing what can happen and avoiding it.

BTW I still can't believe 90% of riders out here don't wear helmets! I see them every day doing 80mph with just shorts and a tshirt, crazy! I'll be wearing a helmet lol even doing 25mph!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:29 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Trevor wrote:
Nice points, so true. I regularly train for self defense shooting (my hobby-guns) and I always look at my surroundings and feel out the area. I know that sounds paranoid, but trust me I got out of a lot of jams and hairy situations by just knowing what can happen and avoiding it.

BTW I still can't believe 90% of riders out here don't wear helmets! I see them every day doing 80mph with just shorts and a tshirt, crazy! I'll be wearing a helmet lol even doing 25mph!


Yeah - a lot of riders are their own worse enemies.

Here's one of my favourites - start at 2:40



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:58 am
Posts: 449
Location: Thailand
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White
Get a Forza 300, the 150 is to small for you.

_________________
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:46 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
alx123 wrote:
Get a Forza 300, the 150 is to small for you.


I've regularly carried more weight on my 150 and it's been fine for what he's indicated it's needed for.

No doubt Forza has more capability - and a goldwing more capability still - but I still think the PCX is more than adequate.

If in doubt, try it out I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Fort lauderdale
Year: 2015 PCX
Color: White
At 340 I'd get the new shocks. I'm 240 and you will feel every speedbump you go over, The stock shocks are crap. There is a do it yourself article here, and it's only about 125 bucks. YSS z-shocks work perfect.

And if I was going to go anywhere near an interstate, I have a forza/Bergman. You are taxing the PCX at interstate speed, and no one mentions this too often, but the bike is too light and you get blown around very easily. I don't feel safe at any type of interstate speed.

_________________
Glen in Fort Lauderdale
My build thread here:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
‘15 PCX
‘16 CTX 700 DCT/ABS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Jge64 wrote:
At 340 I'd get the new shocks. I'm 240 and you will feel every speedbump you go over, The stock shocks are crap. There is a do it yourself article here, and it's only about 125 bucks. YSS z-shocks work perfect.


I'm more than 240, and stock has been fine for me. Trying to be fair to all, I think it's just a personal choice thing; some seem to want to change a lot of things (windscreen, shocks, brakes, variator, tyres, belt, clutch, seat, exhaust) - in contrast, I've found the stock version of all these things to be absolutely fine, with the exception of unbolting the "hump" (which later models don't have anyway), and adding heated grips for winter ops. The max load for the scooter is 180kg and in my experience that's pretty much where the stock shocks start bottoming out. I'd encourage the OP to just try the bike as is and see how he finds it.

Quote:
And if I was going to go anywhere near an interstate, I have a forza/Bergman. You are taxing the PCX at interstate speed, and no one mentions this too often, but the bike is too light and you get blown around very easily. I don't feel safe at any type of interstate speed.


Again, I've spent a lot of time at top speed and don't find it to be an issue. I was talking to a lady who rode a 600cc scooter and the only negative comment she had to say about it was "it gets blown around a bit in the wind"; it's just a fact of life that devices that balance on 2 wheels are never going to be as laterally stable as those that balance on 4. In my experience the speed differentials to cars on the motorway isn't enough to "blow bikes out the way" (might be different if someone passes you at 150MPH, but that's never happened to me). There is a bit buffeting imparted by a stiff cross winds - moreso on lighter bike+rider combinations, but it doesn't particularly "destabilise" the bike - it just pushes one off at a bit of a tangent until the rider corrects a 1/2 second later. It comes down to all up weight and profile surface area and by my calculations a Forza with a 240lb rider is only around 22% heavier than a PCX with a 240lb rider (so not a lot of difference) and it probably has more surface area in it's profile which would negate that even more. Getting blown around a bit at speed is just a fact of life when riding bikes. I actually enjoy getting out among the elements and feeling that to be honest, but it does take a little time to get use to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:04 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Fort lauderdale
Year: 2015 PCX
Color: White
OK that's your opinion. I still think the bike is light and the Shocks are junk.Been riding 30 years, worked corporate for two motorcycle manufacturing companies (Honda and Kaw) and have ridden hundreds of bikes .so my Opin is somewhat experienced, I don't want any part of an interstate on the PCX.

_________________
Glen in Fort Lauderdale
My build thread here:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
‘15 PCX
‘16 CTX 700 DCT/ABS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Jge64 wrote:
OK that's your opinion. I still think the bike is light and the Shocks are junk.Been riding 30 years, worked corporate for two motorcycle manufacturing companies (Honda and Kaw) and have ridden hundreds of bikes .so my Opin is somewhat experienced, I don't want any part of an interstate on the PCX.


Yep - absolutely. And I respect that. Not trying to say anyone is right or wrong - just giving my opinion and the reasons for it so we can have a discussion. Got my licence in '79 off memory.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 453
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Trevor,

Here's a comprehensive no-holds-barred review of the scooter from a reviewer that I think uses it the way you will. It pretty much mirrors my experience (although I'm fine with the stock screen):

http://www.justgottascoot.com/hondapcx.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Posts: 982
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Year: 2017
Color: White
Quote:
Here's the questions.

-I'm 5'7 340lbs, how well will this Scooter move me along? My area in Phoenix is mostly miles and miles of flat land and the speed limit is 40mph strictly enforced. Would my weight seriously hinder the acceleration from 0-20mph, basically if you wanted to get out of the way of impending danger etc.


I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. . .get a larger scooter or motorcycle. If your weight is almost 350 lbs. then you need something with moor oomph and stronger suspension. Just my opinion. 8)

Buy a Honda that fits you and your needs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
I have to seriously thank all of you for the incredible advice and wealth of knowledge. I just came from the same dealer, asked them if I could drive it around a bit. I was surprised they even let me because I don't have a motorcycle license. He came out with me on a ATV lol it was funny. It was really easy to drive, it felt just like the scooter I drove way back in Bermuda. We turned off at the first block because there was a 1/4 mile straightaway and few people around. He said they do this often with inexperienced riders, and he always goes with them just in case they need assistance.

The acceleration from a stop was surprisingly good, it definitely got my fat ass off the line lol. It was only a 40mph street so we didn't go much past that I think we hit 45mph roughly. At 40mph, when I twisted the throttle all the way it did feel eager to accelerate, but definitely not good for passing cars on the highway. This type of scooter I would put my blinker on and let the car pass instead of me over taking them.

Jeez that helmet, OMG! My face was soaking wet, it's around 106 degrees today. A small inconvenience for safety though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!