Briefly Considered a Motorcycle

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PaCoX
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

Briefly Considered a Motorcycle

Post by PaCoX »

I took the first half of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program this past Saturday to work toward my M1 endorsement and eventually reduce my insurance rate on the PCX. Admittedly, while weaving through the cones on the course, I briefly entertained thought of selling the beloved PCX for a Kawasaki Vulcan S. But since the majority of my riding is through city streets and I rarely have to top 50 mph, I know I would instantly regret switching over. Maybe one day I'll be able to justify two 2-wheelers in the stable, but that day is not now.
Attachments
VulcanS_2017.jpg
VulcanS_2017.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
* 2017 Honda PCX 150 (Pearl White)
* National Cycle Windscreen (medium)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Briefly Considered a Motorcycle

Post by TheMaverick »

Here's how you do it - on a Honda CBR 600RR

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I have owned a Motorcycle, I personally didn't like the experience but give it a try. The PCX is perfect for the city, but on the open road a big bike should be better. I still rode my PCX to Los Angeles, CA, but that's another story. What about having two bikes?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

There is nothing wrong with owning more than one two wheeler at all. It depends, of course, on your finances and parking options. I can tell you that in my experience having the PCX for around town travel is great. That being said, I occasionally go for rides out of town on it and logging 60 miles at the end of the trip is not uncommon. The seat is not the most plush. . .but I can deal with it. I only ride it on roads with a maximum speed limit up to 50 MPH.

I've also got a sport touring bike that I can use for longer hauls or taking a passenger. I like having that option.

For years I've gone without a scooter. But when I did get one I realized how much easier it is to just start it up, hop on, and go. It's light weight and simplicity make it easy to use and the storage is a bonus. 8)
PaCoX

Post by PaCoX »

TheMaverick wrote:Here's how you do it - on a Honda CBR 600RR

It's just as impressive that the rider can follow the cone pattern without Siri.
PaCoX

Post by PaCoX »

A second bike is not in the cards as my family and I sold my car in exchange for the PCX in order to save on gas, maintenance, and insurance expenditures. Since my daily roundtrip commute is between 8-12 miles, depending on how scenic I want it to be, the PCX has been perfect. Now I just have to invest in some items to weatherproof myself and the scooter for when I have to commute in the this winter.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Wow. . .balance is incredible. . .must take a lot of practice. :o
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

A second bike is not in the cards as my family and I sold my car in exchange for the PCX in order to save on gas, maintenance, and insurance expenditures. Since my daily roundtrip commute is between 8-12 miles, depending on how scenic I want it to be, the PCX has been perfect. Now I just have to invest in some items to weatherproof myself and the scooter for when I have to commute in the this winter.
This may sound weird but years ago I used to stuff newspapers inside my sweater and wear a heavy leather jacket for winter riding. Added layers of long sleeved shirts work too. Somehow the newspapers seemed to seal out the wind a bit more.

Mittens or gloves? It's a matter of personal choice. Mittens can be warmer but the gloves are easier to use on the levers.

Shop around and read the reviews on the winter riding products.

Tucking the pant legs into the top of boots also helps keep out the wind. :geek:

I made some wraps to put around pant legs for my bicycle so I didn't get chain oil on them. I took an old bicycle inner tube that already had a hole in it from glass or something and cut it into a few lengths. Then I sowed on some velcro pieces so I could wrap the inner tube around my leg and keep the pant legs tight. . .not flopping around. Works great. Can use them for bicycles or to help seal out cold wind in the winter. Here's a vid from someone who took it to another level using clips. . .and depending upon how big the inner tube pieces are you can use the material to make straps similar to bungee cords.

I started riding back in the 1970's before they had a lot of the high tech products they do now. Been on some mighty cold rides. Still ride year round but not long distances. . .. ;)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

So, I found this out about Santa Cruz, CA:
santacruz.jpg
santacruz.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Seems to me you are in pretty good shape for year round riding for a 12 mile commute. Warm gloves are obvious, but you don't really need electric. A neck gaiter is a must (I got one at REI something like https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... proof-buff. Look for wind proof/resistant, then cozy warm. Simple polar fleece won't cut it unless it is windblock stuff.). I use a three season jacket (Rev'it Tornado), and add a polar fleece vest under the liner down to around 40, and then add a down sweater down to freezing (where I wimp out). I use Aerostich khakis, and the removable knee pads keep my knees OK warm, and the ride is short enough so that my legs are chilled, but OK. Thicker socks above the boots are nice, unless your workplace is really hot. I got a thin balaclava that fits under the helmet, but almost never use it.

In the summer, the mesh outer jacket is great (so long as I'm moving). It keeps the sun off and me relatively safe. Spending some coin on good gear is as good an investment as that spent on your PCX.

Happy riding!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PaCoX

Post by PaCoX »

I know, I know, poor me, I live in a temperate climate with just one deluge of rain (last year) in the last 15 years. I'm a soft Californian compared to the other regions of the country and those in the UK.

Every day, hot or cold, I wear waterproof motorcycle sneakers, motorcycle jeans with knee armor, and a motorcycle jacket and gloves. I'm sure I look overkill here in sunny Santa Cruz, CA, but the asphalt and other vehicles don't discriminate whether you're in a T-shirt or full leathers.

I'm mostly concerned about visibility in the rain, which we do get. I had an earlier post regarding what people used to treat their windscreen and visor to help with beading water.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Wow. . .balance is incredible. . .must take a lot of practice. :o
Check out the guy at 23 seconds in - I think he's an idiot, but he understands balance!

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PaCoX wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Here's how you do it - on a Honda CBR 600RR

It's just as impressive that the rider can follow the cone pattern without Siri.
I reckon!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Maybe consider a bigger scooter, like the Forza or the Suzuki Majesty.
I ride my scooter to University.

Gil.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PaCoX

Post by PaCoX »

Spent 4.5 hours on the blacktop yesterday, while wearing full motorcycle gear, in 106-degree Fahrenheit while completing the Motorcycle course. By the end of the afternoon, I had drank about 3L of water but still felt like I had dropped 10 lbs from sweating. Thankfully I passed the course and will receive my M1 endorsement (making me exempt from the DMV skills test, and I will lower my insurance). A motorcycle is fun, but for my current needs, I'm definitely sticking with the PCX!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Congratulations! I did pretty much the same thing (although only around 90 F). Best money I spent, since I didn't know for sure that I would really like a motorcycle or scooter. During a break, they let take a 125 scooter for a spin, and I was hooked. Best of all, I left with the motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license, and that was that.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I started riding back in the 1970's before they had a lot of the high tech products they do now. Been on some mighty cold rides.
Me too. BSA lightning & both Victors are gone, so is the Norton. But Roxanne, my 1970 Triumph stays - she's a wonderful bike.
Clivebroad
Year: 2011

Post by Clivebroad »

I use my PCX 125 daily to commute to and from work. I ride a CBR1000RR for fun, it's the best of both worlds.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
I started riding back in the 1970's before they had a lot of the high tech products they do now. Been on some mighty cold rides.
Me too. BSA lightning & both Victors are gone, so is the Norton. But Roxanne, my 1970 Triumph stays - she's a wonderful bike.

Photo?
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

I tried scooters for the first time last year and haven't used my Shadow 1100 since! I do have some work planned on the Shadow and may keep it for longer journeys but I definitely won't return to it as my daily ride.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

you you wrote:
springer1 wrote:
Photo?
Sure lots, I nixed my Photobucket acct after they started charging and haven't figured which new alternative is easiest ..... now is as good a time as any ...... what's the consensus on switching to - and I'll get some pics .