PCX reactions: whats yours?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Year: 2018
Color: white

PCX reactions: whats yours?

Post by default »

So I've had a bunch of oddball vehicles in my day, but this thing is taking the cake.

Mopeds are in awe, since it looks like a fancy version of a 50cc

Harley guys hate it because I can keep up

Sportbikers are curious

And most people in cars are mad because they were passed by a moped!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX reactions: whats yours?

Post by TheMaverick »

I've always thought of the PCX as being a scooter; in these parts a moped is a motor-assisted push bike.

For the most part, I find that most other riders don't appear to have any thoughts on the PCX one way or the other. Around town the PCX is fine. On the motorway I'm usually WOT, but pretty much manage to keep up with the flow. On occasions Harleys and sports bikes pass me and just disappear - they're capable of probably twice the max speed of a PCX (and more).
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Living in Southeast Asia, I feel unexceptional.

My chicken chaser often get smoked by all kinds of bikes here. The 2016 is slow.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My reaction when I first saw a PCX was to buy it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

On the east coast of the US scooters are typically rare and unusual. Other motorcycle riders won't look twice. The only curious are those who do not ride at all. We are stereotyped as being different....

Many here have no issue taking a huge lone on an expensive Harley to be like the others.
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Harleys around here are more about the style then function. I believe 150 and above is more motorcycle than scooter.Scooters are like skateboards and 50 cc category usually stay under 30 mph.I like the comfort of a scooter and not crazy about a bulky fuel tank that close to my jewels..If I want to do 75 mph I'll take the vette..
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I generally get waves from motorcycles and the scooter riders not so much (they look like they "don't get it"). In my area there aren't too many scooters but a lot of Harleys. The Harley riders almost never seem to wear helmets. Out of what few scooter riders there are I think half of them are just using them until they can afford a car and then they move on.

When I see a Vespa rider it is rare. It makes me wonder where did they buy it and where and how do they service it or order parts.

That being said I rarely see a PCX either. But the looks I get from other people seem to be favorable. The cross section of scoots in my area are really a mixed bag of Genuine (a few Buddys), Tao Tao (here and there), Chinese ??? (not sure), Vespa (only a couple I see regularly and one vintage model), Honda (older Elites mostly and a Ruck or Metro), Yamaha (occasional Zuma), Suzuki (Burgs but not often), and rarely a TOMOS. Kymcos were somewhat numerous a couple of years ago but almost never see one now. There are a lot of bicycle riders. . .sometimes riding in groups.

In contrast it's SUV paradise. Cell phone heaven. And, becoming Golf Cart boulevard. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Golf cart communities are becoming the "in " thing.. See them popping up more and more these days..
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:Golf cart communities are becoming the "in " thing.. See them popping up more and more these days..
Yes! can't wait to get old enough to start pimping a cart 8) I will be back down Tampa town in a couple three EZ so get your cart ready so's we can race. Lived in Tampa/CL for 15 years and Chicago has been good to me but sonny bitches are calling me back soon.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Golf cart communities are becoming the "in " thing.. See them popping up more and more these days..
Yup. . .and now they are getting into "styling" as well. It's like there's the standard "Poor Man's" carts and then those who like to flaunt their inheritance with a Lincoln Town Car "Rich Man's" type cart . . . chrome. . .custom paint. . . a fancier top . . .. We've come a long way from taking a ride in the "Surrey with a fringe on top". The more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

There's Big money in golf cart custom look, one of my friends in "the villages" near Orlando has got $20K in his golf cart… and so do all the neighbors!.....True alloy wheels, $1500 stereo, lights, and a ton of high end Upholstery .....… It truly is outstanding looking. But that's crazy money…

But more than once, I've had friends who know bikes and cars remark that my scooter looks like it's halfway between a scooter and a motorcycle, probably because it's not totally a step thru.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yes! can't wait to get old enough to start pimping a cart 8) I will be back down Tampa town in a couple three EZ so get your cart ready so's we can race. Lived in Tampa/CL for 15 years and Chicago has been good to me but sonny bitches are calling me back soon.
When I rode the PCX by the waterfront yesterday the sign was posted at the entry to the Town Beach again, "Lot Full". The sandbar looked like a KOA camp ground with all the beach umbrellas. All the people. . .where do they all come from? o_O :o :lol: :lol:

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:All the people. . .where do they all come from? o_O :o :lol: :lol:
Fuel is cheaper than ever and always will be from now on. Start building more beach please :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:Fuel is cheaper than ever and always will be from now on. Start building more beach please :D
You might need your meds reviewed again?
Fossil fuels will one day become completely unaffordable.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

There are no mopeds around me, so I don't know.

Harley guys don't acknowledge it.

Sportbikers give the "respect wave" when oncoming, but do a double-take when they realize they've been duped.

Cagers want to pass me and get in front of me, thinking I'm a moped and will slow them down. From the rear, the PCX looks like a sporty 50cc, with its skinny tire. The cager reaction is the most annoying.

I wear a dayglow jacket and helmet, which I find gets me a lot of respect from the cagers when they're beside or behind me. I don't ride like a squid and they can see I'm serious about being safe. I catch them admiring it at stoplights, esp. the kids. I was the hero dad of the boy scout troop when I dropped my son off on it one day.

I've had lots of different rides. When I had the sport-touring bikes and the naked SV650, folks assumed I would be a squid; it took them time sharing a drive with them for them to realize I wasn't one of them. Hard luggage earns a little respect from other motorists, I've found. They assume the rider is older, more careful and more experienced.

When I had the KLR, no one even acknowledged me; they didn't know what to think. (I'm in the Chicago suburbs; not many dual sports or adventure bikes other than the big BMWs)
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:
homie wrote:Fuel is cheaper than ever and always will be from now on. Start building more beach please :D
Fossil fuel will be completely illegal in the not so distant future. America will ban all gasoline vehicles is the push right now and only the rest of the world will be polluting... ironic isn't it. Hydrogen Semi's and Lorries that are so quiet they have to add fake noise to them are already here. The vehicle of tomorrow is SILENT 8) What a peaceful place it will be.

I point you back to an earlier post, sadly emissions control the production and innovation for our hobby http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7989
Last edited by homie on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Fossil fuel will be completely illegal in the not so distant future. America will ban all gasoline vehicles is the push right now and only the rest of the world will be polluting... ironic isn't it. Hydrogen Semi's and Lorries that are so quiet they have to add fake noise to them are already here. The vehicle of tomorrow is SILENT 8) What a peaceful place it will be.
Absolutely correct,electric will be the future of transportation.The oil companies are slowing it down by buying up battery patents and lithium reserves.Gasoline will once again be a dinosaur.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

easyrider wrote: Absolutely correct,electric will be the future of transportation.
If I can have a bike like this, then count me in!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b9Yd6kZKW4[/youtube]

Fixed. Only the letters, and numbers After the = sign get placed between the youtube brackets ;) WN
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I was watching the Barcelona attack and I saw police scooters.
I had to research it, but I found out they are BMW C-Evolution Electric scooters.
They look pretty cool. Interesting specs.
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by default »

Smaug wrote:There are no mopeds around me, so I don't know.

Harley guys don't acknowledge it.

Sportbikers give the "respect wave" when oncoming, but do a double-take when they realize they've been duped.

Cagers want to pass me and get in front of me, thinking I'm a moped and will slow them down. From the rear, the PCX looks like a sporty 50cc, with its skinny tire. The cager reaction is the most annoying.

I wear a dayglow jacket and helmet, which I find gets me a lot of respect from the cagers when they're beside or behind me. I don't ride like a squid and they can see I'm serious about being safe. I catch them admiring it at stoplights, esp. the kids. I was the hero dad of the boy scout troop when I dropped my son off on it one day.

I've had lots of different rides. When I had the sport-touring bikes and the naked SV650, folks assumed I would be a squid; it took them time sharing a drive with them for them to realize I wasn't one of them. Hard luggage earns a little respect from other motorists, I've found. They assume the rider is older, more careful and more experienced.

When I had the KLR, no one even acknowledged me; they didn't know what to think. (I'm in the Chicago suburbs; not many dual sports or adventure bikes other than the big BMWs)

HA! I had a friend tell me my KLR was misfiring... he turned a few shades of red when I told him it was a thumper.