Do you pull ahead of the stop line?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Do you pull ahead of the stop line?

Post by PCX150Rider »

Forest Gump. . .got it on VHS. . .as I travel through life just the site of a ping pong table makes me think of it. 8)

Never. . .Ever. . .Take your eye off the ball!!! :roll: :lol: :D

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

In Bangkok, it doesn't really matter, just split the lanes and join the herd of bikes at the front.

In the US, if I am in my car I always stop behind the line. If I am on my bike, I treat as situational. If I am the first in line without a car behind my, I typically pull ahead of the line in case a vehicle approaches and drives right through me because he doesn't "see" me. If there is a car following me as I slow down, I will keep an eye on my mirror to see if he sees me and slows down. If so, I stop before the line. If not. I will ride past the line. If I am turning left, I will only go past the line if I can see the traffic from the right can't hit me if they turn left.

One thing I am learning as I ride more in the US is that I have to be more aware when it isn't as congested as Bangkok. In the congested traffic of Bangkok, I am typically aware of where everyone is and they seem to be aware of me, but in the not so congested traffic of the US I am noticing how other drivers are not aware of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

krammer do they ever just have pile ups like bicyclist? You know, the light turns green and then someone fails to accelerate... :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't imagine riding in that herd of scooters everyday. I would need a disposable scoot and then one to pet and polish.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hahah! "Stop beating around the bush!" Disposable diaper you mean! :lol:
I ain't proud, I couldn't ride in kram's situation day in and day out. Freaking crazy! And where's the Fun in it? I'd be the one the other bikes piled on, you know....football style. No thanks.
"Country Roads, Take Me Home" ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

In answer to the topic question - Sometimes, and only if the white line is set so far back that I cannot see to the left, right or both of me. Then I edge forward till I can safely see. Most times I sit behind the white line scanning and checking my mirrors. I like to have some "wiggle" room to move, you know....in case someone forgets to brake (hard enough) o_O Yeah, it could happen!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:krammer do they ever just have pile ups like bicyclist? You know, the light turns green and then someone fails to accelerate... :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't imagine riding in that herd of scooters everyday. I would need a disposable scoot and then one to pet and polish.
WhiteNoise wrote:Hahah! "Stop beating around the bush!" Disposable diaper you mean! :lol:
I ain't proud, I couldn't ride in kram's situation day in and day out. Freaking crazy! And where's the Fun in it? I'd be the one the other bikes piled on, you know....football style. No thanks.
"Country Roads, Take Me Home" ;)
Homie .... The pile ups don't happen. Sometimes there are bumps and but not typically a "pile up". Having said that, the worst accidents typically happen when it isn't bumper to bumper, but a little more open space. It seems that people are quite as aware of their immediate surroundings when they have more space.

WN ..... I ride the PCX a lot less than I originally thought I would, almost exclusively because of the traffic. It is often mentally exhausting to me. But when I am in the US, I love the country roads. A quick 25 mile scoot on the back roads first thing in the morning sure does the mind some good — 30 minutes well spent.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am not sure which would be worse, being constantly aware of the crowds because of really heavy traffic...OR being in traffic where No one is paying attention to the road. That is what we have here. Everyone seems to be on their phone. Lights change, horns blow, fingers fly, and still we sit...or imagine the other way...lights change, no one cares because they haven't stopped from the previous light change, horns don't blow because everyone has crashed, and fingers are flying to the phone to call everyone except the police.
Yep, about the same here. Everyone is hyper aware of their surroundings...phone, GPS, kids in the back seat, cigarettes, music selection on the in dash selection screen. Traffic...not so much.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:In the turn lane only I will pull up far enough so the vehicle behind me can trip the light. Otherwise half the time I get no green arrow at all and the traffic is released leaving me to wait for a yellow to turn hoping no one is planning on running it. Very frustrating for me and any drivers behind me who miss the turn light because of my scooter. Traffic cams might get you if you don't know where they are so scooter life is always interesting :D
I do the same as homie.

You cursed the guy out for pointing out that you were breaking the law. That's not cool. Ignore him if you want, that's fine. It's illegal to go beyond that line, I gain nothing by pulling further up. I don't feel like being further up is going to prevent someone from hitting me.

The BEST it can turn out is that you don't get killed, but you made some stupid cager hate scooterists. The worst it can turn out is with you in the morgue due to road rage.

I think a better response would have been for you to act apologetic and roll back behind the line. Maybe even with a bit of drama and sarcasm. :D

He would NOT have known how to react to that.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Place your finger to your helmet and cock your thumb like a gun. This diffuses any stupid act you just made to other drivers ... plus it's funny.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Get off your bike get into his vehicle and throw his keys away I say...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:Get off your bike get into his vehicle and throw his keys away I say...
This is America ! That aint never gonna happen !! unless you are suicidal !
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: That's Not How This Works....That's Not How Any of This Works!"
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote::lol: That's Not How This Works....That's Not How Any of This Works!"
I don't see that funny comercial anymore WN. Those old ladies cracked me up... "I unfriend you" :lol:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

what, there's a line? where? can't see it :lol:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Notice that there is a PCX ahead of everyone at that light.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Notice that there is a PCX ahead of everyone at that light.
I see another one. . .black or dark blue. . .about 15 ft. front and center of the bus. ;)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I could see at least 4 PCX in that pic.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, they have to keep up their appearance so they blend in with the crowd and play "where's Waldo on the PCX". It is hard to blend in when your bike looks soo good though. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

alx123 wrote:what, there's a line? where? can't see it :lol:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it is done in Bangkok. My quick count indicates that there is somewhere around 60 bikes in the picture. But I understand it is even more bike-crowded in Vietnam and possibly Cambodia.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote::lol: That's Not How This Works....That's Not How Any of This Works!"
I don't see that funny comercial anymore WN. Those old ladies cracked me up... "I unfriend you" :lol:
It's one of those quickie commercials that I never wanted to miss :lol: Today we have commercials that keep repeating :x and, they're Bor........innng

So everyone knows what we be talking about, here's "That's Not how This Works!"
HAPPY Saturday Folks :P