A 6-pack of wine fits perfectly under the seat

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: A 6-pack of wine fits perfectly under the seat

Post by homie »

up ye bum with the flaming wrench :lol: :lol: :lol:
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

TheMaverick wrote: In all seriousness, I think the best option is to just learn from the mistake and be more aware of your fuel state in future. I've found myself low on fuel in the middle of nowhere - best thing you can do is reduce speed; the economy at 50km/hr is probably close to double what it is at wide open throttle.
I agree. But it so happened that whole week I had a very fast ride without stopping to refuel. That day, when the road ran out of fuel and had to drive 25 miles in 30 minutes, 50% of the roads in the city where the speed limit signs 25-30 mph. the Last division of the fuel flashes when left until the end of the road 12 miles, hoping that will be enough. :cry:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

djbass wrote:
TheMaverick wrote: In all seriousness, I think the best option is to just learn from the mistake and be more aware of your fuel state in future. I've found myself low on fuel in the middle of nowhere - best thing you can do is reduce speed; the economy at 50km/hr is probably close to double what it is at wide open throttle.
I agree. But it so happened that whole week I had a very fast ride without stopping to refuel. That day, when the road ran out of fuel and had to drive 25 miles in 30 minutes, 50% of the roads in the city where the speed limit signs 25-30 mph. the Last division of the fuel flashes when left until the end of the road 12 miles, hoping that will be enough. :cry:
Been there too. Carrying extra fuel is always going to be one solution - I just don't know if it's always (or ever) going to be the best solution. Not sure what other options you had, but in my case I just had to learn to manage my fuel a bit better. Tell you a true story ... when my Mum was alive, she used to refill her car as soon as it got below 1/2 way; when I asked her why, she said "because I don't want to run out and I don't know how accurate the fuel gauge is". I probably rolled my eyes to myself - and carried on running my tank down to the last bit (and never ran out). On one occasion though my partners father had a heart attack and we needed to rush her to her parents house urgently, not knowing if it would be the last time she saw him alive. Yep ... had to deviate and stop for petrol first so that I didn't risk running out on the way. Perhaps my Mum was right for the wrong reasons after all?
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Regarding carrying extra fuel, why not just fill up the PCX from the gas can and then refill the can at every fuel up? That way, it stays fresh.
-Jeremy
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

TheMaverick, a cautionary tale.
In the car get nervous when the needle of fuel shows less than 1/2 of the fuel tank. Always fill the tank to full. It all originated after the Chernobyl accident at a nuclear plant, all the while waiting for the Apocalypse to go as far as possible from the epicenter :)
And PCX fuel tank little and often to stop for fuel refills for 2-3 liters somehow not comfortable.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

djbass wrote:TheMaverick, a cautionary tale.
In the car get nervous when the needle of fuel shows less than 1/2 of the fuel tank. Always fill the tank to full. It all originated after the Chernobyl accident at a nuclear plant, all the while waiting for the Apocalypse to go as far as possible from the epicenter :)
And PCX fuel tank little and often to stop for fuel refills for 2-3 liters somehow not comfortable.
How about a compromise - keep a 20l container of fuel at home and just top the PCX up the night before if you have a busy day planned for tomorrow?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Whatever happened to the seat/hump posts. Boy am I missing them now .
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

TheMaverick wrote:How about a compromise - keep a 20l container of fuel at home and just top the PCX up the night before if you have a busy day planned for tomorrow?
This is a good option, but the fuel in the canister must be constantly updated.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

djbass wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:How about a compromise - keep a 20l container of fuel at home and just top the PCX up the night before if you have a busy day planned for tomorrow?
This is a good option, but the fuel in the canister must be constantly updated.
Not really - I used to keep 3x 20l containers for my generators before I had the PCX - I didn't want to risk it going stale so I changed it about ever 6 months - never had a problem so I know it's good for at least 6 months. Other than that, it can fill the bike from almost empty 3 or 4 times - and nothing says you can't just use it for top ups after filling the bike at a gas station when it was more convenient.

Anyway - whatever works for you. Personally, a 5l approved container under the seat gives me over 400km range if I need it. I'm happy with extra fuel securely under the seat, but I don't think I'd feel quite as safe with an external tank - even those very very nice looking ones previously detailed - personally, I'd be concerned about them being abraded through in the event of an accident - at which point I think the very action of road surface abrading through it would inevitably result in a fire. For me, for 364 days out of every year fuel management just isn't a big problem.