New Member/Rider in Santa Cruz, CA

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: New Member/Rider in Santa Cruz, CA

Post by PCX150Rider »

ow! I do believe that Honda has a recommendation to change the belt more often than 32,000km.
On post 2013 models the SM recommended belt replacement schedule is at 15K miles or 24K kilometers. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Ed, Just catching up! Welcome to our Forums! :P Glad you found us and Happy that you bought a PCX! A hoot to ride (even "as is"). Indeed, Mine is White 8) with added Prestige badge(s).
Enjoy yourself and Ride Safe, Always
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (213.17 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:
ow! I do believe that Honda has a recommendation to change the belt more often than 32,000km.
On post 2013 models the SM recommended belt replacement schedule is at 15K miles or 24K kilometers. :geek:
I'm discovering that Honda appear to be being quite conservative in their recommendations - great for the dealers (on average), but perhaps not so great for us riders? In all fairness, it's possibly just coming down to a different philosophy; if one follows the Honda schedule then one is unlikely to ever break down on the road - but there's a cost to that. In contrast, I'm prepared to take a chance on breaking a belt (I've got a new spare in waiting). So far (performance wise) the bike/belt appear to be going as good as they did when new; it was a bit chirpy when accelerating from a stop, but even that has stopped. Still on it's original spark plug too despite Honda saying to replace it every 6,000km (WHY? - they're good for 100,000km+ in cars)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just remember others telling stories of their bikes quitting 9n the road and when they took the cover off the belt particles had wrapped around the clutch assembly. Quite a mess to dig out before replacing the belt. That would not be nice in the dark on the side of a lonely back road. I changed out my wife's belt at 10,000 miles and it is not the backup belt.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mel46 wrote:I just remember others telling stories of their bikes quitting 9n the road and when they took the cover off the belt particles had wrapped around the clutch assembly. Quite a mess to dig out before replacing the belt. That would not be nice in the dark on the side of a lonely back road. I changed out my wife's belt at 10,000 miles and it is not the backup belt.
Fair point. I'm planning on whipping the side panel off at some stage soon anyway, so I'll make an assessment then. I'm trying to strike that happy medium between being "prudent" but without being "over cautious". These days I'm usually no further than 7km in either direction between either my workshop or my home, so not a huge biggie if something breaks (and always a cell phone in my pocket).