a monkey stole my pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

a monkey stole my pcx

Post by eggman »

well i dreamed it last night it was so real.so have u ever had a pcx dream
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: a monkey stole my pcx

Post by homie »

eggman wrote:well i dreamed it last night it was so real.so have u ever had a pcx dream
Yes every time I hook up the CPAP machine. Those things are addictive like DRUGS! Only recently I decided to stop sleeping with one eye open and a glock under my pillow so I ordered a full auto cpap. You don't need a doctor or script and unfortunately no nurse comes with these new compact little machines. They're fully capable of diagnosing apnea, adjusting themselves to your level of pressure and reporting all activity on an SD card if you care to read it. All I know is I'm out like a light, no snoring, no tossing and turning, dreaming wild shit and bouncing off the wall in the morning. Dam the torpedoes! Might as well leave the door open and put all my valuables out on the lawn for the monkeys because I'm passed the hell out all night baby!
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

u need a dog 2 wake u
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:Yes every time I hook up the CPAP machine. Those things are addictive like DRUGS! Only recently I decided to stop sleeping with one eye open and a glock under my pillow so I ordered a full auto cpap. You don't need a doctor or script and unfortunately no nurse comes with these new compact little machines. They're fully capable of diagnosing apnea, adjusting themselves to your level of pressure and reporting all activity on an SD card if you care to read it. All I know is I'm out like a light, no snoring, no tossing and turning, dreaming wild shit and bouncing off the wall in the morning. Dam the torpedoes! Might as well leave the door open and put all my valuables out on the lawn for the monkeys because I'm passed the hell out all night baby!
Ha - me too. Just checked the stats - I've logged 28251 hours. Best thing I like about them is not being able to smell when the wife lets one rip in the morning!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) that works! Be kind now, and let her in on your secret :lol:

Dreaming
Of a Road Not Taken

I dreamt I was riding a larger bodied PCX then I own now. This one with an extremely comfortable seat. We were cozy and We were headed "Somewhere." And so, we rode...
We met the Sunrise and then her full Sun who was encompassed by baby blue skies. I sported a t-shirt under my mesh jacket on this beautiful fall-like but Spring day. There were no police, no sheriff's, no authority on Our Dream road.
Nada concerns.
No other vehicles, no bumps, no potholes, no manhole covers or spaghetti strips, no painted lines, no gravel or stone, no oil. Just pure and cured tarmac. No stop signs or traffic lights, and....No noise other than nature's beautiful orchestra of sounds.
Farmland fields filled with flourishing corn grew on both sides of the road and went every mile with us. The bees didn't sting, the mosquitos didn't bite and my faceshield remained clean. We rode till Sunset and lingered with Her into darkness. We ended our journey in a canopy of stars where We bid our Dream Goodnight.

"I'll Take You There...."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote:
eggman wrote:well i dreamed it last night it was so real.so have u ever had a pcx dream
Yes every time I hook up the CPAP machine. Those things are addictive like DRUGS! Only recently I decided to stop sleeping with one eye open and a glock under my pillow so I ordered a full auto cpap. You don't need a doctor or script and unfortunately no nurse comes with these new compact little machines. They're fully capable of diagnosing apnea, adjusting themselves to your level of pressure and reporting all activity on an SD card if you care to read it. All I know is I'm out like a light, no snoring, no tossing and turning, dreaming wild shit and bouncing off the wall in the morning. Dam the torpedoes! Might as well leave the door open and put all my valuables out on the lawn for the monkeys because I'm passed the hell out all night baby!
Where do you get one w/o doctor prescription. My brother has one, my wife says I don't snore , but she is out like a light to really know. Worth a try if you guys recommend it . Always like wild dreams LOL
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

My dream
To a Road Not Traveled
WN - you should have written books! :geek:

. . .and the future only gets better each mile traveled. ;)

Doesn't it? Welcome to the Machine. 8)

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

eggman wrote:u need a dog 2 wake u
Beware the German Shepherd, his wee buddy and feline companion :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:Where do you get one w/o doctor prescription. My brother has one, my wife says I don't snore , but she is out like a light to really know. Worth a try if you guys recommend it . Always like wild dreams LOL
I do recommend it but it will lighten your wallet, you might have to postpone one of your drone purchases :D read the Amazon reviews, do a lot of YT research about people who's lives have been changed and they didn't know what real sleep was because of today's busy and stressful life style. Caffeine, soda, cell phones, traffic noise, gun shots, siriens, my shepherd going off, trump tweeting all night (that one used to wake me every time) no more! :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019M ... UTF8&psc=1

You're going to want this too...
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Paykel-Si ... ZTKAJ&th=1

First use your Go Pro to watch yourself sleep... If you see the problem, get the machine. If you don't see the problem you are good, take a pill... cheaper.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

easyrider wrote: Where do you get one w/o doctor prescription. My brother has one, my wife says I don't snore , but she is out like a light to really know. Worth a try if you guys recommend it . Always like wild dreams LOL
I've been a CPAP user (aka "hose head") for about 10 years or so now. I'm in New Zealand so can't really comment as to how things are done in other parts of the world, but for me it involved suspecting that I had a problem (snoring is one symptom, but it's far from a definitive diagnosis) and then completing a "sleep study" where the local sleep clinic gave me a box of electronics to strap to my chest (that senses what position I'm in and how much movement, and also includes a pulse-oximeter and a tube that goes near my nose to sense breating (or lack thereof)).

When the results were analysed I had an AHI of 72 (or in English, my brain was partly waking me up 72 times per HOUR due to not breathing). Obviously not a good thing.

They sold me a machine (Resmed AutoSet Spirit S8) (which is still going well for me after 10 years) and the process of getting used to it began.

In short, the way they work is by keeping a positive pressure in your mouth and/or nose - bit like riding the PCX without a helmet and opening your mouth at full speed - but without the chance of catching flies and bees! How you "hook up" to the machine is one of the key challenges though; some people feel a bit claustrophobic and some people don't like things on their face - luckily for me as an (ex) SCUBA diving instructor trainer I'm 100% comfortable with masks and breathing devices, but the sleep clinic wasn't convinced so they started me off with what's called a nasal mask (only covers the nose) ... unfortunately the nose is connected to the mouth at the back of the throat and if you put a pressure in the nose it leaks out the mouth unless you can keep your mouth shut when asleep. Didn't work for me - the pressure differential was uncomfortable. So they put me on a combination mask that went over my mouth, but had a couple of extensions that my nostrils were supposed to seal against ... most ridiculous f-ing contraption ever devised. At some point they tried me on a mouth only mask (driest mouth I'd EVER had!) ... before FINALLY letting me try a full face mask ("FFM") - instant success ... just like I told them weeks before ... (*sigh*).

So for me, the FFM was ideal - and over the years Resmed have developed a few different models which I've tried - some I liked and stuck with, some I didn't. I did develop quite a few tricks over the years though - these days I put the actual CPAP unit right under the bed where it can't be heard - there is a quiet sound that's made as the air flows through the mask exhaust though - I'd describe it as being similar to the noise the air conditioning fan in your car makes on the lowest speed. Some masks & hoses are much quieter than others, but I won't bore you with any details unless you ask. Personally, I run the hose up towards the top of my head - under the head strap - then down the back of the bed to the machine so I can sleep in any position and not have to worry about getting tangled up in the hose. As a side sleeper I found that a buckwheat pillow worked best in that it supports my head comfortably, but doesn't try to push the mask to the side.

In terms of results - yeah - snoring is stopped dead in it's tracks - and my AHI dropped right down to only a few per night (and I think most of those were false positives).

So yeah - hope all this helps. Happy to answer any questions. If you do get a machine, I can't recommend the latest Resmed models highly enough - general opinion is that they're the "ducks nuts" in terms of quality and smarts - blows the F&P out of the water - and has extensive range of masks. Not cheap though, but considering the number of hours it'll be looking after you, not something I'd suggest skimping on. End of the day they're either something people take to or they don't. I LOVE mine - means I can bury myself under a pillow or under the sheets and still have an endless supply of fresh air. They do have a humidifier option, but I like fresh cool air, not warm moist air, so I don't use a humidifier. My doctor said "I can't think of anything worse than sleeping with a mask on" ... short answer to that is "Doh - you don't know you're wearing it when you're asleep!" Personally I sleep really really well using it ... but in all fairness, I also know people who just struggle to get used to them - in my opinion, attitude and techniques make about 100% of the difference.

PS: A "full face" mask doesn't actually cover the entire face like, say, a fire fighters mask would - it only covers mouth and nose - not the eyes.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I should probably look a data and progress like that, dive in deeper to the details but you don't have to. The main thing is the new equipment is automatic, it will make its own analysis and adjustments through the night. If you want to program it you can take it off auto with the help of a technician but at first not advised. That company mans the phone 24/7 with their product because this is over counter now and that makes them a little nervous IMO but very helpful. Please don't get sucked into the medical carousel that bills the crap out of your insurance before they issue a machine. It's safe and easy enough to skip all that sleep apnea lab testing and just film yourself sleeping. Signs you are not reaching deep sleep are obvious from your own camcorder and the body cannot sustain itself after 50 if you don't achieve a deep body nourishing recovery level of sleep. You know who you are, beds sheets spun up in the morning, wife says you snore too much, waking several times in the night gasping for air.

You know Mav my main complaint to a shaved head was how cold it is in the winter to sleep with one. With this you can bury yourself under blankets so I might reconsider the skin head look :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Great information..I think I will do that camcorder thing. Thanks
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

easyrider wrote:Great information..I think I will do that camcorder thing. Thanks
Just be REALLY careful if you're going to do that. If anyone sees a camera on a tripod pointing at a bed they ALWAYS get the wrong idea. Cough, or so I've heard!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:I should probably look a data and progress like that, dive in deeper to the details but you don't have to. The main thing is the new equipment is automatic, it will make its own analysis and adjustments through the night. If you want to program it you can take it off auto with the help of a technician but at first not advised.
Can't speak for other brands, but with my Resmed I can get into the programming by holding down the right button combination. On one hand it is automatic, but on the other hand one can program things like the starting pressure, maximum pressure, ramp time, auto-start etc if one wants. I tweaked mine a little years ago, but these days I'm lucky to even see the unit more than than once or twice a year to check the inlet filter.
You know Mav my main complaint to a shaved head was how cold it is in the winter to sleep with one. With this you can bury yourself under blankets so I might reconsider the skin head look :)
I've had close to that ever since my military days - these days I just do it myself with a #4 guard on the trimmer thingee. I think the thing I like most about CPAP is being able to pile sheets / blankets / pillows on top of me to make it as dark as possible (especially if I'm trying to sleep in after getting to bed late) - also helps make it a little quieter for she-who-must-be-obeyed, although the sound level is probably only 2% of what it was during the snoring days.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

easyrider wrote:Great information..I think I will do that camcorder thing. Thanks
In all seriousness, in addition to the camera (which I did on my first night with CPAP), it's possibly a good idea to look up all the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea and do a bit of a self-evaluation. Snoring is the usual give-away, although it it's possible for people to snore and not have OSA - and vice-versa. Sure signs would also be things like wife telling you you stop breathing and then resume with a gasp - of if you find yourself drifting off during the day or can't concentrate, or need a lot of hours sleep to feel rested. It's quite serious stuff because OSA is linked to a number of maladies inc increased risk of heart attack and stroke, and disrupted sleep / poor sleep has recently been linked to premature dementia - none of the things I really wanted to mess with.