I feel like taking a gamble.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

I feel like taking a gamble.

Post by Smaug »

I bought my PCX used, maybe 300 miles ago.

The oil level was good; right up to the top, but not over. The oil clarity was good too, leading me to believe that the mechanic at the used bike shop where I bought it did The Right Thing. (put the right oil in it)

So I'm going to leave it be until the next oil change interval. If I had any doubt, I would change it immediately upon receipt.

I think it should have had at least two valve clearance adjustments by now. I watched homie's YouTube video on how to do it; it's a major pain in the ass. I read that other account of the other member dropping a tappet nut inside the engine. I think I might skip it until it shows some external signs of needing it.

If I DO do it, I'll probably just do it once and might outsource it. It was so nice of them to provide a hatch for access to the spark plug, but on a bike with such frequent valve clearance checks, they sure did make access to the valve a bitch, right?

On another note, I feel like the low beam is aimed way too low. It's not useful at night at any speed above about 20 mph. I looked in the manual at how to adjust it. I started up my PCX on the center stand and shone the headlight down the driveway. Turned both gear/screws both ways; didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference. Is there a trick to this, or does it not adjust high enough?

High beam is aimed just a bit above what I would consider good for low beam, so I don't want to just leave the high beams on. I'd like to get them a smidge higher, which of course would be achieved when I raised the low beams... :|

I DID at least change the tires, at least, so I'm not a totally worthless home mechanic.
-Jeremy
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: I feel like taking a gamble.

Post by Mel46 »

You have a 2013...hmmm. I have two of them. I not only couldn't get the beams to adjust but they looked like they were dim as compared to the newer ones that are out. Several of us, if not more, added extra led lights that work much better than the ones that come on the bike. I have read of others who have changed their factory lights out to the newer LED ones. Here is a picture of not only the new lights on each side of the front wheel, but also some position led lights just below the light encasement (which is missing most of its lights for some reason.) It shows up quite well at night AND we can actually see the road.
Extra lights.jpg
Extra lights.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Extra lights in daylight.jpg
Extra lights in daylight.jpg (342.47 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Here is what they look like in the daytime. Regular headlights were off for this picture, to show contrast.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Smaug wrote:On another note, I feel like the low beam is aimed way too low. It's not useful at night at any speed above about 20 mph. I looked in the manual at how to adjust it. I started up my PCX on the center stand and shone the headlight down the driveway. Turned both gear/screws both ways; didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference. Is there a trick to this, or does it not adjust high enough. I DID at least change the tires, at least, so I'm not a totally worthless home mechanic.
Um.. on the first note I agree about the VCA. Take to dealer someday, sell scoot before you have to, anything but that long slow process. Other note, we only have one beam adj screw on LED PCX and I didn't see anything about a driveway in the SM ;) The procedure for all vehicles if I'm not mistaken is a set distance from a wall measuring from the ground to the beam level and adjusting to a given height on the wall. For example I recall for one of my bikes 15' & 3' That's fifteen feet from wall leveling at 3 feet the beam projections highest point. What are these numbers for a 2013 PCX with dual halogen independently adjusted headlights for 2013? IDK but it should be written.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Attachments
Extra lights in daylight.jpg
Extra lights in daylight.jpg (325.47 KiB) Viewed 980 times
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

11,000 kms now, Valves are not checked since I bought. Still running
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Hey, Mel, I got a question.
I installed some 6-LED lights for night driving, but they are so bright,
I have to turn them off in oncoming traffic. Then, the stock lights are
way too dim to see. Any ideas? Yeah, I have the 2013 model, too.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

How many miles on your scoot?
Some owners recommend touching the valve lash only if scoot becomes a hard starter....or is tapping noticeably.
A whole lot of scooters and motorcycles never get a valve check - and few are grenading as a result. Would that fact give me comfort ?....not necessarily.
The headlight adjustment scews on my Burgman required SEVERAL turns to show a difference in the light aim.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sorry, what is the gamble?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Just saw the PCX service schedule. That thing is goofy!
Valves every 2,500 miles - but the oil every 5,000 miles!!
My buddy who has a PCX said a conversation with his buddy who services Hondas at a local dealer, said ---
check valves every 2 or 3 years - 10/15K miles or hard to start
Replace Oil every 1000 miles, or twice a year which ever comes first
And "it will last as long as you own it."
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

dgnyberg, I am not sure where you installed you lights, but if they are like where mine are installed they will need to be aimed down a bit further if they are bothering oncoming traffic. You can usually look at them and tell if they are going to aim too high once the beam is a certain distance away from the bike. A good suggestion is to aim them like Homie said. Do it at night and you will be surprised at how bright they are. I modified the way mine are attached so that I can adjust them in increments, plus I have a switch on my handlebar that allows me to turn them off or on. I also have some baby strobe lights on the bike for evening riding, if I don't or can't use the flood/spot lights. After all, they are Kawell, which is advertised for off road use, so you have to be careful where they are aimed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

fish wrote:How many miles on your scoot?
Some owners recommend touching the valve lash only if scoot becomes a hard starter....or is tapping noticeably.
This is what I'm going to do. I almost wonder if Honda forgot to add a 0. 25,000 miles seems more realistic for an involved valve check than 2,500.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

fish wrote: Replace Oil every 1000 miles, or twice a year which ever comes first
Fish
Oil change every 1k is kooky-talk. I'll stick with Honda's 5k recommendation on that. (or annually, if I don't get 5k on it in a year)
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Mel, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose headlights can't be adjusted high enough.

I'll be forced to run high beams at night, even if they're slightly blinding to oncoming traffic; better to blind them for a couple of seconds than for me to not spot a deer or raccoon...

homie, I usually just adjust my bike headlights in the driveway, going by what looks reasonable. Then, take it around the block at night with a screwdriver on board. Stop, re-adjust and repeat until they "feel" right. I find the manufacturers always adjust them too low, out of the box. Either that, or I'm not heavy enough to get them aimed high enough. ;)
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:
fish wrote: Replace Oil every 1000 miles, or twice a year which ever comes first
Fish
Oil change every 1k is kooky-talk. I'll stick with Honda's 5k recommendation on that. (or annually, if I don't get 5k on it in a year)

Agree
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

you you wrote:Sorry, what is the gamble?
The gambles are:
  • Trusting that the right oil is in it, so the engine won't be damaged
  • Not checking valve clearances, and trusting that won't cause engine damage
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Got them bullet points nailed now! Hows that done?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:
you you wrote:Sorry, what is the gamble?
The gambles are:
  • Trusting that the right oil is in it, so the engine won't be damaged
  • Not checking valve clearances, and trusting that won't cause engine damage

I think you mean risk not gamble.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Smaug wrote:
Fish
I'm wondering if 10,000 miles was meant?

I do mine every 4000km (2500 miles) - dealer reckons no point but I'm taking a "what the heck - can't hurt" approach.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:dgnyberg, I am not sure where you installed you lights, but if they are like where mine are installed they will need to be aimed down a bit further if they are bothering oncoming traffic. You can usually look at them and tell if they are going to aim too high once the beam is a certain distance away from the bike. A good suggestion is to aim them like Homie said. Do it at night and you will be surprised at how bright they are. I modified the way mine are attached so that I can adjust them in increments, plus I have a switch on my handlebar that allows me to turn them off or on. I also have some baby strobe lights on the bike for evening riding, if I don't or can't use the flood/spot lights. After all, they are Kawell, which is advertised for off road use, so you have to be careful where they are aimed.
Thanks Mel, my driving lights are where the turn signals used to be. Yeah, mine are off-road lights, too. Which lights did you use for the strobe lights? Are they the ones you mounted under the headlight?

I added new turn signal lights and put LED strips in the lower headlight locations for turn signals, too. Here's a pic.
Attachments
Front Light Mods-small.jpg
Front Light Mods-small.jpg (104.45 KiB) Viewed 834 times