Hello from the East Bay!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Yuppicide
Year: 2017
Color: Dark Blue

Hello from the East Bay!

Post by Yuppicide »

"New" Member, First Post....
Just bought a new Dark Blue 2017 PCX, waiting for delivery!

$4200 OTD

First Bike...

SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!

Btw, why no PCX USA Clubs???
2017 PCX 150 in Dark Pearl Blue.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Hello from the East Bay!

Post by homie »

Deported all of them :lol: seriously the bike caters to an older rider in the USA by far, so club days have given way to just... good days.

WELCOME!
Things to think about; putting as much information as you can in your profile so we can be of useful help. Put that year and color in there 8)

If you didn't buy the extended warranty you have one year. Very dependable bike so its not that big of risk. You can tool things yourself if you are any kind of handy and get on just fine after a year with archives in this forum and youyou is always very helpful.

And all that Mav wrote while I was typing this .... DAHAM! :lol:
Last edited by homie on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Hey - big welcome!

Congrats on the purchase - it's a super-exciting bike - so darn versatile; I've used mine for some impromptu touring (about 500km in one day) - strapped computers and printers on the back (a couple of strops that are latched under the super-strong passenger grip to their left/right and you're away) - and it performs taxi duties for my 17 year old daughter often as well. It does it all!

I'm trying to think of a few things I've learned with 31,000km on mine ...

- A Givi box on the back is a god-send for storing rain gear - first aid kit - small tyre compressor & other misc stuff. Under the seat is good too, but fills up pretty quick with helmets etc.

- It's a pain but you really do need to check your tyre pressures at least every few weeks - things can go pear shape real quick with a slow leak (as I found out in driving rain at night with a pillion passenger on the back) (didn't come off, but a flat tyre on a bike is a HORRID feeling - had 4 of them now - 3 my fault).

- Don't push your tyres for too long - they're round on the inside and start flattening out on the outside ... problem is that while the middle is getting flatter on the outside they're still round on the inside and the two meet at a tangent sooner than you may realize from looking at the outside. I've set myself a hard limit of 10,000km for a rear and 15,000km for a front now - my previous issues occurred around 14,000km both times.

- Give some thought to how many $$$ you want to give your dealer for maintenance. I was a bit shocked at what they were planning to charge and when I looked at the owner manual I discovered that there wasn't a lot that really needed doing apart from changing the oil. I now do it all myself - have saved over $1000 - and learned a lot about the bike in the process. There's a wealth of knowledge here to help with things like that. In summary, if you change your own oil and keep your eyes on the tyre wear there's not a lot that can't just wait until it tells you if needs doing. I've only just changed the air filter element on mine - and I have a new belt and clutch shoes waiting for when they're needed, but other than that I just change the oil every 4,000km and she keeps going and going and going.

- Not sure what experience you have with bikes - if it's your first then there's a LOT to learn to stay safe - things that are obvious once you know them but not obvious at all if they haven't been pointed out. An approved course is always a great place to start - failing that, there's a dude by the name of Kevin Morris who runs an excellent YouTube channel: MC Rider https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22 - and last/least there's a Motorcycle Tips and Tricks to Stay Alive facebook blog that I run that may (or may not!) be of interest: https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleTips ... StayAlive/

Hopefully some food for though.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike.

Having a model-specific club (aside from this one) would be far too limiting. You have all the people with this model, all over the world. There are a LOT of us. However, being serious enough about it to join a model-specific forum? Got to be a lot less than 1%.

Find a local scooter club that is open to modern scooters. There are lots out there in The Land of the Fruits and Nuts. :-D
-Jeremy
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome aboard the forum(s) :P
Woot! I'm always excited when a member joins and tells us they're waiting to take delivery of a PCX!! 8)
Please, please share a photo of it here when it arrives or..... when You decide to take a break from riding it! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Yuppicide

Post by Yuppicide »

Thanks to everyone for the Welcome and tips.

Lol. You may be correct about the PCX catering to an older crowd...I'm 40, never rode a scooter or motorcyle before...

Watched a YouTube video in April of some kid on a GROM.

Looked kinda fun, so I jumped on the Honda Website to learn more about it....

And then I saw the PCX

and I HAD TO HAVE IT!

I decided to take the Motorcyle Course, and started saving my money...

In the last few months I've done Tons of research, watched hundreds of PCX videos on YouTube (even the ones where I didn't understand the language), and joined this forum (which was a wealth of information and greatly helped me in my quest for PCX knowledge).

Got my license last week.

Went in on Monday around 2pm and made an offer:

$4200 CASH, Delivered.

Dealer countered with "the lowest I could do is $4800".

I countered back with "I've got $4200 CASH".

He said he might be able to do 45, but he would have to talk to his manager....

I thanked him for his time, told him I was on my lunch break and really had to get back (but gave him my # before I left...)

By 6pm it was sitting in my Driveway!

Insured it yesterday, and did a few dozen laps around a parking lot by my house after dinner.

Took it out on my lunch break today and rode around town.

Had fun and felt really comfortable on it, but I haven't found the sweet spot for the mirrors yet, and couldn't really see $hit...

...Might try some Bar end mirrors.

Not really into the Top Box thing, but did see a cool looking Sissy Bar/Grab rail I might order to tie things down on.

Basic mechanical skills, but plan on taking it in for service on the first check up (then doing it myself after that).

Would love to post pics, but have no idea how with my phone....
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Yuppicide wrote: Had fun and felt really comfortable on it, but I haven't found the sweet spot for the mirrors yet, and couldn't really see $hit...
In my opinion the mirrors are not it's strongest point, although I believe there are bikes with much worse. On mine I have to tuck my elbows in if I'm to use more than 1/2 of each mirror.

Just be aware that they have blind spots just the same as cars do - so be sure to do what's called a "lifesaver check" by looking over your shoulder as a final check before starting a lane change (and be careful that you don't start drifting across when you turn your head to do the lifesaver check).

Glad to hear you're investing in a motorcycle training course - great investment in staying alive!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Congrats on your new PCX!

I find that it's easier to see what's directly behind me from my right mirror (facing forward). Vehicles passing are more easily picked up in my left mirror. Granted, they aren't perfect, but not the worst I've seen either. :geek:

If you get a windshield, some brands offer extension brackets for the mirror mounts so they are moved outboard a bit more. I think the Honda taller windscreen comes with them and National Cycle offers taller windscreens with mirror mount bracket extensions also. 8)
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

You can purchase mirror extensions separate from a windscreen. They make a BIG difference. I have them on my Silver Wing as well.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My pcx is pre-led but I think the mirror extensions that I have on mine would work on the newer pcx as well. They are from Givi, which makes all sorts of accessories for bikes, including taller windscreens, tail boxes and soft packs, which come in handy for quick install if you have to carry something like a laptop. In any case, if you don't find the mirror extensions, one of the members here mentioned that he had replaced his mirrors with some from a Honda motorcycle, though you would have to check which one he found that worked.
Many of us purchased taller windscreens, so it might be worthwhile for you to consider doing the same. I know that California has great weather, but if you get on the road at say 45-50 mph you will notice that the wind wants to pull you off of the bike. Getting a taller windscreens moves the wind around you. There are also some mid-high ones that do not take all of the wind off of you...just your chest area, and that might be all that you would need in order to enjoy the bike even more than you already do... and it makes the bike look so much better.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Not too sure about these mirror extender thingies - they quite clearly caused this guy to crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_y6KwZXaIA

#JustKidding!
Yuppicide

Post by Yuppicide »

o_O

Ouch!!!

I'm thinking about ordering these mirrors:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/emg ... er-mirrors

...... Wasn't planning on trying to Lane split either way.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

TheMaverick wrote:Not too sure about these mirror extender thingies - they quite clearly caused this guy to crash:
Mav, please don't post snuff video's in here... don't we all have it hard enough without stumbling over one of these? Fortunately I caught on just in time to get off that ride :lol: Hope he survived but i suspect not.