Well... I dumped it.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Well... I dumped it.

Post by pattomike »

I was coming out of a gravel parking lot, and hit the front brake instead of the rear. It went down. There is luckily no damage to the fairing. The only damage is on the panel beneath the foot well. There are two separate gouge areas. Up to this point, I have been washing it every night, and drying it off with a micro fiber towel, and there wasn't a scratch on it. Is there anything I can do to repair this? Are their replacement panels available, if I should choose to go that route? More than likely, I will just see if I can get some touch-up paint and minimize the appearance. Thanks.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Well... I dumped it.

Post by homie »

Dude... SHOCKING!
yes we can get you the lower side panel... white right? How's the seat?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Do you have a picture of the damage?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Glad you're OK.

I came close to dropping mine once - was parked on the sidestand - on a slight downhill slope. I didn't think the slope was significant enough ... I was wrong. I was lucky to be alongside it and "caught" it (somewhat ungracefully) when she was well on her way over. Another lesson learned.
megalodon
Regular User
Regular User
Color: pearl blue

Post by megalodon »

never ever use front brake on gravel if it's really not necessary.even if its necessary do it like a sequeeze a lemon slow and smooth..at least you are ok. stuffs can fix..
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Number one. . .you are OK. Number two. . .your PCX is only slightly wounded. ;)

Maybe Homie can chime in on this but Bike Bandit does sell OEM PCX body panels as well as other parts. They don't list the 2017 or 2018 PCX models on their site but do list 2015 (2016 had other colors). They called the 2015 white "Jasmine Pearl White". On the Honda site they call the 2017 just "Pearl White". So I'm not sure if they are the same. Some years had more of a mat finish and others were into the gloss finish so-to-speak. :?

Other than color, since the PCX 150 LED models are otherwise quite the same (with few exceptions), it would make sense to me that one could buy 2016 parts for a 2017 in my opinion. That's what I intend to do. . .unless they do start listing the 2017 model part sources. Not sure if they were trying to avoid redundancy or not. The Service Manual lists "After 2013 models" when they refer to certain procedures. . .the manual is dated for 2013-2015, but they keep repackaging the ones in inventory to stamp them as applicable currently through 2017.
2013-2017-Honda-PCX150_RepairManuala.jpg
2013-2017-Honda-PCX150_RepairManuala.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Here's a link to Bike Bandit. I do business with them on my other bikes and they are OK in my book. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch909758

One other thought that occurred to me. . .and I'm not trying to sound cheap. . .but would a really good decal applied help the situation? And perhaps another on the other side to make it look like a factory job? :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The panel that is under the area where your foot rests is an easy panel to replace, or it was easy on the older model. On the 2017, I would have to wonder about being able to locate any place that sells the panels yet. Otherwise, if that is the only damage, you are lucky. It should be an easy fix.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Lucky man you're alright, that's a Very good thing! :P

There are techniques to braking. Others will probably share theirs, here's my input:
I've gotten into the habit of first applying my Rear brake followed immediately by my Front brake thus developing good "muscle memory" - (an automatic response). I was Taught this in my MSF course. Have you taken a course pattomike?
Also Squeeze your brake levers, never grab fistfuls as if you're "stopping on dime!" Easy does it. Apply more (and a little firmer) till you come to a stop.

I consider replacing panels pretty inexpensive compared to let's say.....a Vespa (Ouch!!)
Here's a site that I and others have purchased from over the years (for all type bikes):

In the USA - Website's Home Page: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/#&panel1-2

Honda PCX 150 (2016 model) page: (2017 not available. However, the '16 parts should be a match):
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... dropdown=t
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

WN - the 2016 colors are Steel Grey and Dark Candy Red. The pre-molded panels listed at Bike Bandit are in the colors for the particular year in question. So if you have a "Pearl White" 2017 model then it's "Pearl White" you need. My concern is that the "Jasmine Pearl White" from 2015 may not be an exact match for the 2017 "Pearl White". It's possible but my brain just doesn't know for sure. :roll:

There aren't too many PCX Hondas in my area. I did about 60 miles on my Suzuki Bandit yesterday (went up by the old Powder Ridge Ski Resort) for the view and didn't see a one. I think I've got the only one in my town for sure. So I've got nothing to compare it to. If someone else out there knows that would be a superb answer to the riddle. ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

That's a very good alternative PVX150Rider :P Sticker's/Decal's have been used many a time to cover scratches. Here's one we all know (and there's more where that came from! Look around, Pickings are yours) 8)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycl ... 2548.l4275
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider wrote:WN - the 2016 colors are Steel Grey and Dark Candy Red. The pre-molded panels listed at Bike Bandit are in the colors for the particular year in question. So if you have a "Pearl White" 2017 model then it's "Pearl White" you need. My concern is that the "Jasmine Pearl White" from 2015 may not be an exact match for the 2017 "Pearl White". It's possible but my brain just doesn't know for sure. :roll:
You're right! I just assumed Cycleparts had all the PCX 2016 fairing colors available. I also assumed that the 2016 and 2017 "White" was the Same color white and Same named "White." My bad :roll:
Sorry pattomike, that website won't be working for you after all.
No White in stock? That's just ridiculous :lol:

Want to get crazier? The 2011 PCX I sold was White with Gold metallic flakes. My 2015 White has Silver metallic flakes. What's next, Ruby, Emerald, Onyx? :lol:
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Thanks for your replies. I have never thought of putting a decal on the bike. But I would definitely do it. Maybe when and if the time comes to sell it, the panels for my bike will be available. Yes, I have the white (faster) 2017 model. There are 2 contact points where the damage occurred and both are up-high on the panel beneath the foot well. The decal would have to cover the panel completely from front to rear. I don't think this damage is going to stop me from washing my PCX every night. Usually something like this will kill my desire to keep it polished up. I hope this doesn't. I was only going about 2 miles per hour when the front tire skidded and fell over. I was doing something I should haven't been doing and my mind was inattentive. I was checking to see who was working a particular shift. One for which they begged me to work, and I refused! So I was seeing what sucker they got to work it. Had I just minded my own business I would have not made such a ridiculous mental error.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

I don't think this damage is going to stop me from washing my PCX every night.
Interesting how technology changes and how associated maintenance changes. So far, I've never washed a MC or scooter, only wiped them down with wet towels and then dried them, and maybe waxed them annually. Buts that's because forced water into older technology wiring harnesses, air filters, switches, brakes, cables, wheel hubs, etc, sometimes resulted in problems - either right away or later on. I'm sure its OK to hose off and wash down new bikes, but don't know if I can change at this point.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

WhiteNoise wrote: There are techniques to braking. Others will probably share theirs, here's my input:
I use a 2 part technique when riding on gravel (and I'm serious).

1. I ride ridiculously slow so I don't need anything more than the lightest of light applications (if that) (usually with my feet hovering over the ground), and

2. I repeat to myself over and over "Gawd I hate this sh*t, gawd I hate this sh*t" until I'm off the gravel.

I absolutely hate the stuff.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I came close to dumping mine a couple of weeks ago. My results were the opposite of yours. . .
I saved the scooter and hurt myself. I was coming to a stop and the front brake grabbed tight for some reason.
The scoot did a stoppie, the rear came up and around to the left. There was another bike on that side of me, So,
In an effort to not hit that bike, I put my foot down. Needless to say, I jammed my left knee up pretty bad.
Unfortunately, my left Tibia had been shattered about a year ago in a vehicle accident.
I was finally out of the wheelchair, off the walker and had stopped using a cane a couple of months ago.
Now, back to the wheelchair and walker for a few weeks.
On a good note, the x-rays showed no bone damage and that my tibia had healed completely.
I get to see the orthopedic doc to check for tendon or other muscular damage.

But, at least the scoot is just fine. I'll heal!!
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

springer1 wrote:
I don't think this damage is going to stop me from washing my PCX every night.
Interesting how technology changes and how associated maintenance changes. So far, I've never washed a MC or scooter, only wiped them down with wet towels and then dried them, and maybe waxed them annually. Buts that's because forced water into older technology wiring harnesses, air filters, switches, brakes, cables, wheel hubs, etc, sometimes resulted in problems - either right away or later on. I'm sure its OK to hose off and wash down new bikes, but don't know if I can change at this point.
I gingerly spray water on the bike to get the dust off, and then wipe it down with a wet micro-clothIt would be more accurate to say I wipe down my bike than it is to say I wash it. I am doing surprisingly well despite the damage to my bike. I have OCD and I was afraid this would ruin the bike for me, but so far so good. I even washed it today.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

There is touch up paint, pearl white (Himalayan) is my color. Haven't seen the extent of your damage so maybe not. Of course there is always any body shop. Take it off and hand it to them... done. For 6 bucks on ebay you can buy a scratched one and take it to any body shop so you don't even lose a day's ride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Genuine-U ... 1k&vxp=mtr
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

homie wrote:There is touch up paint, pearl white (Himalayan) is my color. Haven't seen the extent of your damage so maybe not. Of course there is always any body shop. Take it off and hand it to them... done. For 6 bucks on ebay you can buy a scratched one and take it to any body shop so you don't even lose a day's ride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Genuine-U ... 1k&vxp=mtr
Here's some new ones, I would contact this seller for your year and color.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-125-1 ... Tl&vxp=mtr
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Here's some new ones, I would contact this seller for your year and color.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-125-1 ... Tl&vxp=mtr
Not trying to Monday Morning Quarterback the thing but the key words here are "contact this seller for your year and color" if you choose to. The link is to panels for model years up to 2014. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

One other thing you could do. . .and probably won't. . .but could do. . .is buy two lower panels (one for port and one for starboard) of a distinctly different color to give your PCX a unique appearance compared to the run of the mill OEM ones. So you could have from 2016, according to Bike Bandit, Mat Techno Silver Metallic or Candy Nobel Red (also refered to as Steel Grey and Dark Candy Red). Or from 2015 Poseidon Black Metallic. We aren't sure if the 2015 Pearl Jasmine White is an exact match.

Here's kind of a quick color fill I did on the lower panels on a 2017 Pearl White PCX 150 with generic dark red so you'd get the idea. :o
PCX150_2017_01-a.jpg
PCX150_2017_01-a.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
But of course you could use Black or Grey as well. . .. Prices vary depending on the color but for two panels it would be less than $50. . .not sure how much on shipping. 8)

Black or Grey would hide the dirt better perhaps. ;)