rock hard seat

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

rock hard seat

Post by Duke82 »

does anyone else find their seat rock hard and very uncomfortable even for short time?
Of the 12 motorbikes and 1 scooter i have owned, this is the worst of all of them. (one of the bikes has a worse seat but much better suspension so it was better overall).

I take every opportunity to ask the other riders i see but none of them report problems.
I have solved this with a very unsexy cushion i tie to the seat and it makes it better.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: rock hard seat

Post by homie »

I ride some pretty hard seats on my bikes and probably always will until a cruiser is wanted.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Post by eggman »

lever since i got the kim kardasiin ass implants all seats are comfy
mike11148
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by mike11148 »

I agree 100 percent. In fact I cant ride anymore for more than half an hour. I love the scooter but if I cant enjoy the ride there is no reason to keep it. Not only is the seat way too hard,the design of it prevents me from sitting back farther where I know it would be more comfortable..Its one of those things that I never noticed when taking the test ride before buying it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The longest ride I've taken with my PCX is about 70 miles, non-stop (except for intersections), and a mix of state highway (45-50 MPH) and back country roads (25-35 MPH). It is a hard seat compared to other machines I've had. . .but looking at the big picture the PCX has more going for it than not going for it. ;)

Fat people are not going to be comfortable on these things. :lol:

I wish it just had a level seat with more cushion appeal but unfortunately it doesn't. My Corbin seat on Suzuki Bandit isn't really plush either but the special foam they use and the way they shape them helps a lot. So I can ride that thing all day. :D

I'm not going to buy a replacement seat for my PCX. I can live with it. . .and have my other machines to fall back on for longer rides. I'm not OCD about bikes. . .it's just that they get to be like an old friend and I can't say good-bye to them. One is 30 years old and the other 20 years old. . .and still running great. That being said I would certainly buy a "Cheeky Seats" cover if they were able to develop and make them for the LED PCXs. 8)

My Genuine Roughhouse has a thinly padded level seat (big enough for two but in reality more for one since it's only a 49cc) and the riding ergonomics are different than the PCX. It's a taller seat and the floor boards make you put your feet up higher. That being said I can sit as far forward or back as I want because there is no hump or sense of being in a bucket. "Cheeky Seats" does make a padded cover for that and it's on my wish list right now. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I purchased a square gel seat at a Walmart near me. BED Bath and Beyond is now selling them as well. It is similar to the Wondergel seat cushion sold by Amazon.com . My wife bought some vinyl at a sewing store, and then she made a a nice cover for the pad. Fastening it to the seat is simple. I used a ROK strap, but you could just as easily have some velcro straps and attach them under the seat.
It is quite comfortable. However, if you don't like gel seat pads there are all sorts of other types out there, including memory foam.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Is it too soon to link the Rhoid Rider thread? :lol: :lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Is it too soon to link the Rhoid Rider thread? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D . Piles of time yet.
Duke82
Year: 2016

Post by Duke82 »

Minus the current mosquito bite my ass is all good :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I purchased a square gel seat at a Walmart near me. BED Bath and Beyond is now selling them as well. It is similar to the Wondergel seat cushion sold by Amazon.com . My wife bought some vinyl at a sewing store, and then she made a a nice cover for the pad. Fastening it to the seat is simple. I used a ROK strap, but you could just as easily have some velcro straps and attach them under the seat.
It is quite comfortable. However, if you don't like gel seat pads there are all sorts of other types out there, including memory foam.
Mel - I've got an old "Saddlemen" cover from days of "Yore" for a large size gel pad. It has a zipper on it so one can remove and replace pads and it also has straps with hooks to attach to a seat. I had cut my old gel pad to modify it for my KLR but it became a classic case of "SNAFU" and I tossed it. The KLR seat is generally good but I used to take day trips into update NY, VT, MA, and NH from CT and having a little extra padding didn't hurt. That being said the cover has been sitting idle in storage for years but you gave me an idea. . .are those Walmart gel seats expensive? Any idea how big they are roughly? Are they all gel or gel covered with something. . .in other words can you cut them to a configuration? The Saddlemen large gel pads are about $50 depending upon where you buy them. If you get the seat cushions (covered pads) they are more of course. If I could find a workable solution as a cheap replacement pad to insert into my old Saddlemen cover I may give it a go on the PCX. Any info appreciated. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

61TcasVzyGL._SL1000_.jpg
61TcasVzyGL._SL1000_.jpg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
The gel seat pad that I purchased from Walmart looks like this picture, but it did not cost anywhere near the $50 mark that the Wondergel seat cushion seems to be selling for. In fact, I don't think I paid much more than $25 for mine. If you go to the household area instead of the pharmacy area, the price is much lower for the same pad.
Because it is a pattern of little squares you should be able to cut it to the shape that you want. I didn't cut mine but it might have been a good idea.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Mel - I've got an old "Saddlemen" cover from days of "Yore" for a large size gel pad. It has a zipper on it so one can remove and replace pads and it also has straps with hooks to attach to a seat. I had cut my old gel pad to modify it for my KLR but it became a classic case of "SNAFU" and I tossed it. The KLR seat is generally good but I used to take day trips into update NY, VT, MA, and NH from CT and having a little extra padding didn't hurt. That being said the cover has been sitting idle in storage for years but you gave me an idea. . .are those Walmart gel seats expensive? Any idea how big they are roughly? Are they all gel or gel covered with something. . .in other words can you cut them to a configuration? The Saddlemen large gel pads are about $50 depending upon where you buy them. If you get the seat cushions (covered pads) they are more of course. If I could find a workable solution as a cheap replacement pad to insert into my old Saddlemen cover I may give it a go on the PCX. Any info appreciated. :geek:
SNAFU :D :D . You're American, shouldn't you say FUBAR? :D

Where did you learn that?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Mel - Thanks. . .I'll do that the next time I go to Walmart. 8)

Walmart is tricky sometimes. Know what you mean. . .. ;)

I'll just cut it to the configuration of the seat pad cover and try it on the PCX. If it's better than the OEM seat I'll pass the results along. The thing is the Saddlemen seat cushions I see advertised now are different from the kind I have that was purchased back in the 1990's. :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yeah. . .that too. But it wasn't "Beyond All Recognition". Just "Situation Normal". I spent some time in the Army a long time ago. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I just found this at the Bed Bath & Beyond website. Get one of their 20% off coupons (they ignore the expiration dates, in case you didn't know it), and the price is quite reasonable.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... R8QAvD_BwE
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:

Yeah. . .that too. But it wasn't "Beyond All Recognition". Just "Situation Normal". I spent some time in the Army a long time ago. 8)

3 year stint in the Brownies is where I picked it up.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

When I rode a pushbike again for the 1st time in over 20 years, I had pain for days due to the small sports style seat and not being used to it.

Having ridden the '15 style PCX for over 3 years now (14 reg without the hump) I can say I've never once thought the seat was uncomfortable - but it's the 1st 2 wheel powered bile I have owned so have nothing to compare it to. I usually ride from 25-50 minutes commute, but occasionally my journey has been well over an hour - never a problem. Stange so many fine the original seat uncomfortable.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:When I rode a pushbike again for the 1st time in over 20 years, I had pain for days due to the small sports style seat and not being used to it.

Having ridden the '15 style PCX for over 3 years now (14 reg without the hump) I can say I've never once thought the seat was uncomfortable - but it's the 1st 2 wheel powered bile I have owned so have nothing to compare it to. I usually ride from 25-50 minutes commute, but occasionally my journey has been well over an hour - never a problem. Stange so many fine the original seat uncomfortable.
I don't think they do. I suspect most people find the seat fine.

They don't have the motivation to do a "I find the seat fine" thread.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well I can say for certain that neither my wife nor I could stand the set on the 2013 model. Not only was it hard, but that back/butt support was a real Pain in the butt! I was so glad that there was an option to buy a replacement seat. I can thank Maddiedog for that. Someone sent him a custom seat from Thailand and it was oh so comfortable compared to ours that I ordered a replacement for my wife's bike immediately. I have ridden on hard seats on motorcycles in the past when I was younger, and I didn't appreciate them then, so you can bet that I don't like them now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Well, to me, (2013 PCX owner) the seat's not overly hard. I think it's just that you guys are a bunch of fat asses.

If you slouch, with your feet forward, it's going to hurt. Sit up straight, with a slight forward lean, and you're golden.

The rear shocks are more to blame than the seat. It's like they have OK springs, but the oil inside them is more like water than shock oil.

I had the same thing on my 2000 Suzuki SV650's fork. I swapped out the OEM dirty water in the fork for 15 W shock oil and all was well. Not sure if that's possible on a PCX. I'm planning to go with the NCY rear shock upgrade this winter.
-Jeremy