rock hard seat

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: rock hard seat

Post by Mel46 »

The YSS shocks are much less expensive and work quite well, from what I have heard from others on this forum. I have Takegawa lowering shocks on our bikes and they work well too. I have to think that just about any adjustable shock will work better than what comes on the pcx.
As for the seat, well I don't consider myself a fat ass but the seats are uncomfortable for any distance riding. Also, for me any way, that butt brace is hard on my back and also does not allow me to stretch my legs any. When I took the brace off there was still some plastic under it that was hard. Both original seats are still stored in our basement.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:Well, to me, (2013 PCX owner) the seat's not overly hard. I think it's just that you guys are a bunch of fat asses.

If you slouch, with your feet forward, it's going to hurt. Sit up straight, with a slight forward lean, and you're golden.

The rear shocks are more to blame than the seat. It's like they have OK springs, but the oil inside them is more like water than shock oil.

I had the same thing on my 2000 Suzuki SV650's fork. I swapped out the OEM dirty water in the fork for 15 W shock oil and all was well. Not sure if that's possible on a PCX. I'm planning to go with the NCY rear shock upgrade this winter.
It is possible. Always an easy mod on any Japanese bike from the 60s onwards. Swap out the fork oil asap for two grades heavier.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I have lower back problems but since fitting YSS shocks it hasn't bothered me much at all. The added bonus is I haven't bottomed out once.

My PCX is the first LED model and that may be why the seat is not a problem. From new it was firm and it took a while to get comfortable, but after two plus years of riding the seat has softened significantly and is quite comfortable. It could also be that my butt has toughened up, but I doubt that after years of riding a racing bicycle with a razor blade saddle. :) :)
Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

Post by Duke82 »

Airhawk cruiser r fitted Problem solved
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Airhawk cruiser r fitted Problem solved
What size. . .L or S? How much? Did you have to add much air or just a little? Straps go under seat OK without any problems closing the seat? Inquiring minds need to know! :geek:
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

The cruiser r is a one size model.
I added about 1 puff if air.. The two tiny supplied strap go under the seat too easily. Straps under seat hook onto the corners of the cushion to secure it. Because I live in London I don't trust people enough to leave the cushion on and the bike out. It's too easy to steal. When I unhook the cushion, the straps fall back inside the under seat storage. Not a problem. I will keep the airhawk in there anyway. Take 30-60 seconds to reattach and 10-15 seconds to remove so not a lot of time for such a huge improvement. I paid £150 in a shop. Probably cheaper on line.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

The cruiser r is a one size model.
In the U.S. they offer a Large and Small size for the Cruiser R seat pad. . .and the prices reflect that. I think the small is around 11 x11 inches and the large is around 14 x 14 inches and they are about 2 inches deep. I'll have to measure the PCX seat and throw the dice on which one I think would fit better. I've also got an old (but empty) Saddlemen cover for a gel pad. I can still get a gel pad for around $50 from Saddlemen or Dennis Kirk that I can re-install or I've been told that a couple of stores here like Walmart also sell gel pads you can cut to size. Like to keep my options open. . .measure twice. . .spend once. :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I stuffed some postal bubble wrap packing inside my cushion and believe it or not, works great. No need for an air hawk...LOL
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I stuffed some postal bubble wrap packing inside my cushion and believe it or not, works great. No need for an air hawk...LOL
No kidding? One more thing to add to the list of possible solutions. I just tossed out a bunch of that recently. . .. My biggest fear would be it popping over pot holes making a bronx cheer. :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Smaug wrote:Well, to me, (2013 PCX owner) the seat's not overly hard. I think it's just that you guys are a bunch of fat asses.
Inverted logic there - us fat asses have more padding - can post a photo of what I mean if it helps! :lol:

But seriously folks, I found the hump on my seat uncomfortable (to the point I was looking around here for seat replacement advice) so I took it off - since then no real issues. Sometimes on longer rides (1 hour+) it's nice to "reposition" my rear end from time to time, but can't say it bothers me now. I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of changing it, although no doubt I'd probably find it more comfortable if I did.

Hope this helps.
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

The fat ass thing is a bit weird. It's half the problem. I'm too light for the shocks and too heavy for the useless stock seat. Oh well. Problem solved. Now I need a new excuse to find to sell the pcx
Duke82

Post by Duke82 »

So just an update. the Airhawk whilst amazingly comfortable for my bottom caused me a lot of back pain. i think all the shifting on the air cushion was using my back muscles to stabalise my body and it hurt.

I have now sold my PCX with givi tall screen and 46ltr top box, The engine, fuel economy,stability and weather protection as well storage were fantastic however the rock hard seat and useless suspension meant i couldn't ride it without significant pain. This is a combination of the road texture, my spinal condition/seating position and the quality of components. The PCX has put me off scooters and I am returning to motorcycles where the foot pegs and seating position don't transfer everything through my spine. I wish you all safe and happy adventures. and also thanks for all the information on this forum it's very useful resource.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

The PCX has put me off scooters and I am returning to motorcycles where the foot pegs and seating position don't transfer everything through my spine.
My vintage brit bike suspensions leave a lot to be desired, but the seats allow moving back/ front in order to shift around and get comfortable and therefore work for a lot of different people. I wish someone made a PCX straight even seat without the rise for the passenger (Since I don't carry passengers anyway).

What helped me most was rotating the handlebar forward until the "riser" portion was straight vertical - its like moving the rise in the seat 2" back. The clamps for the levers then needed to be rotated back in the opposite direction.