Benefits Of Owning A Scooter...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Benefits Of Owning A Scooter...

Post by homie »

Less we forget why we keep these around even if we have other bikes :D

brightlime
Year: 2018

Re: Benefits Of Owning A Scooter...

Post by brightlime »

Awesome video. I just recently got my PCX because of the change of location of my work... much closer to my home and it gives me access to a short cut only passable with a small scoot like this.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Indeed. . .nailed it! 8)
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

Haven't gone back to my 1100 since getting the PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, there are very few disadvantages of owning and riding a scooter, especially one that can keep up with traffic...that is, as opposed to the 49cc scooters that can't even get up a steep incline and only impede traffic. Weather is one of the disadvantages, if it doesn't cooperate. Still, there are countries where riders are not deterred by weather.
I was impressed on that video when I saw at least one sidecar on a scooter. The family could come along when you head to the store, or to visit the relatives.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I'd like to have a CD1000RR Fireblade in addition to the PCX ... so I can put a sticker on the PCX that says "My other bike is a CB1000RR Fireblade"!

Seriously, I love my PCX and would buy one again in a heartbeat ... but some of the Fireblade videos really make me pine for one ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZQ80FaV-k
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, there are very few disadvantages of owning and riding a scooter, especially one that can keep up with traffic...that is, as opposed to the 49cc scooters that can't even get up a steep incline and only impede traffic. Weather is one of the disadvantages, if it doesn't cooperate. Still, there are countries where riders are not deterred by weather.
I was impressed on that video when I saw at least one sidecar on a scooter. The family could come along when you head to the store, or to visit the relatives.
We like to blast the 49cc models, but there are lots of towns where 49cc is just perfect. It has to be a smaller town, with no speed limits above 35. It has to be kind of out in the country, where folks are still polite and patient, and with not too much traffic. Oh, and not many hills.

I've been down in your neck of the woods, I have family in Canton. THAT's no place for a 49cc, with all those hills! and folks drive pretty fast there too, even in some pretty iffy cars. But a smallish down that's mostly flat? It's fine. Heck, in those kinds of areas, it would even be safe to ride on the shoulder of a 55 mph highway.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

TheMaverick wrote:I'd like to have a CD1000RR Fireblade in addition to the PCX ... so I can put a sticker on the PCX that says "My other bike is a CB1000RR Fireblade"

The CBR1000RR, known in some countries as the Fireblade, is a 999 cc (61.0 cu in) liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder sportbike, introduced by Honda in 2004 as the 7th generation of the CBR series of motorcycles that began with the CBR900RR in 1992.

I'm with you on this choice of Honda for thrill. 1000cc, 400lb, 189hp Honda CBR has twice the ponies to play with over my street bike for the same weight and displacement. Truly you could feel the guys heart rate in that video for his first ride.
$16,499 https://powersports.honda.com/2017/cbr1000rr.aspx

For 2017, with the 25th anniversary of the Fireblade, Honda has updated its flagship CBR with new features such as throttle-by-wire and traction control for the first time that works with selectable ride modes and new bodywork. A retuned engine which now produces a claimed 189 hp (141 kW) and 153.2 hp (114.2 kW)[5] at the rear wheel, a 10 hp increase and a 14kg (33lbs) weight reduction for a wet weight of 196 kg (433 lb).[5] some of the new features on the SP model are revised frame and fuel tank made of titanium and a 13:1 compression ratio Also adding an even more exotic limited production "SP2" variant with Marchesini forged wheels and with larger valves of which (500 units) will be sold.
Attachments
blade.jpg
blade.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

The major disadvantage i find is being so low down compared to a bike.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

RedBaron wrote:The major disadvantage i find is being so low down compared to a bike.
Really? Perhaps compared to something like an Africa Twin, but in most cases I'd think it would be pretty much the same (and probably a little higher than a sport bike).
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

homie wrote:Less we forget why we keep these around even if we have other bikes :D
Great video! Thanks homie! :)
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Mel46 wrote:...
I wonder what the handling would be like with a sidecar?? Also, now I want to find a 'scooter rally' in my area! :D
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Smaug wrote:We like to blast the 49cc models, but there are lots of towns where 49cc is just perfect. It has to be a smaller town, with no speed limits above 35. It has to be kind of out in the country, where folks are still polite and patient, and with not too much traffic. Oh, and not many hills.
I agree, there are some places where 49cc scoots are perfect. Another example would be if you do RV touring and you want to have something small to get to the store and back. (Remember all those Honda 70 Supercubs hanging off the back of RVs in the '80s?) My biggest complaint is that so many of them are 2-strokes, and the amount of pollution they create can rival a city bus!
... Heck, in those kinds of areas, it would even be safe to ride on the shoulder of a 55 mph highway.
As long as you're not suggesting riding in bike lanes, right? It's incredibly dangerous to cyclists to have motorized traffic in the bike lanes!! Unfortunately, with the legal 'grey area' surrounding 49cc scoots on roads, it's probably most common to see them in bike lanes around here (along with those bastardized 49cc bicycle 'conversion kits' :x )
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eiron wrote:
Mel46 wrote:...
I wonder what the handling would be like with a sidecar?? Also, now I want to find a 'scooter rally' in my area! :D

Sidecars handle and brake differently to a motorcycle unless they are the leaning type. Bloody awful. Waste of a motorbike.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The newer 2-stroke 49cc machines from Genuine (PGO) actually aren't bad as far as smoke is concerned and they are CARB compliant here in the U.S.. 8)

That being said I do miss the days of the 2-stroke street bikes that were popular in the early '70s. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:The newer 2-stroke 49cc machines from Genuine (PGO) actually aren't bad as far as smoke is concerned and they are CARB compliant here in the U.S.. 8)

That being said I do miss the days of the 2-stroke street bikes that were popular in the early '70s. ;)
Ditto.