Well I have my supplies for a seat modification

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Well I have my supplies for a seat modification

Post by pattomike »

I am going to rid my seat of the drum. That is the part of the seat cover that stretches over the top of the step-up, and leaves a hollow drum where the driver sits. I bought a heavy duty staple remover, and an electric stapler. I picked up a couple of 2 inch thick 18 x 18 premium density foam squares from Walmart, and spray-on adhesive for joining the two squares together if needed. The only thing I don't have is a grinder. I am bewildered about what I need for the grinding task. I have some sandpaper so I guess I will try using that initially to shape the foam. I am not very handy, and I live in an apartment. So I'm not exactly psyched about it. I just want the seat anxiety to be over. My goal is to fill in the void that is the drum, and then blend the foam in with the front of the seat. I sit on a blanket when I am riding, and it makes riding more comfortable because I am not sitting so low. Sometimes I sit on the passenger sit. I can even flat foot while sitting on the passenger seat. But I do not think it is safe to drive like this. I would like to carve out some of the foam that makes up the step-up, but I think there is a plastic wall behind this foam so there is nothing much I can do about carving out the wall. Any ideas, suggestions, experiences are welcome. Here are some pics of whatever I can find to share. I haven't taken any project pics, yet.
Attachments
seat 01.jpg
seat 01.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
crain-126_2.jpg
crain-126_2.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Well I have my supplies for a seat modification

Post by pattomike »

Ok I figured out what kind of grinder I need. It is called an "angle grinder" and I need a flat disk to attach to it. This is going to be epic!!
chappy99
Year: 2013

Post by chappy99 »

You don't need a grinder,just take a sharp long bladed knife and carve off what you want to remove then some coarse grit sandpaper and smooth it out,it is a lot easier then using the grinder.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Foam is also easily shaped with an electric carving knife. The "right" tool is probably a "hot knife":
https://www.harborfreight.com/130-watt- ... 61423.html
(I know - Harbor Freight. But this is a one-time tool that you don't need to last forever.)
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

pattomike wrote:Any ideas, suggestions.
Yes, don't do it. I can't see any way to get the perfect saddle from the plastic base. It will either end in a harder hump to ride if you remove material or a taller bike to sit on if you had material. If I had to do something (other than conditioning yourself over time and use) I would be adding material not removing it, but you lose the existing cover as it will not be enough to reupholster.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You might be able to "fill the drum" as you say and get away with using the original cover, why not do that as that's reversible if it fails to get satisfaction.

Is there anyone out there who wants to trade their stock set for this new one (2015 PCX or later only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoavDiVitSg
Attachments
pcx_l18.jpg
pcx_l18.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I am going to rid my seat of the drum.
A noble undertaking indeed. . .good luck with that project. Inquiring minds need to know the results. . .keep us posted! :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Is there anyone out there who wants to trade their stock set for this new one (2015 PCX or later only)
Did you try Craig's List? 8)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I made an incredibly comfy seat on my Kymco.
Used actual seating foam from online supplier, 4 way stretch Sailrite vinyl (see their motorcycle seat rebuild on utube) to recover with, mechanical staple gun, electric knife, spray glue, block of wood and tack hammer to fully seat new staples.
Took me 3 days, many road running sitting tests before recovering. Cut away some, but mostly built upon existing seat foam. Glued on and trimmed new foam.
Remove cover staples with needle nose pliers and small screwdriver.....now you lift off foam to see seat pan.

I added inches of foam....over ridge in pan. Widened and squared seat edges for broader seat, sloped front UP to prevent diving upon braking. Used harder foam with cutouts for plastic protrusions, and in nose and tail of seat. Then softer foam over firm foam concaved a bit where I sit.
TEST and Test some more. Cover with trash bag. RIDE IT to test - before recovering.

If you need to lower seating height while retaining stock seat pan.....good luck. Seems you will end up with a hard, uncomfortable seat. I Raised My seat height some 2-3 inches and it is amazingly comfy. I'm 6'3".

If you're going to cut away foam without adding more -- you might want different scoot.
Fish
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

fish wrote:I made an incredibly comfy seat on my Kymco.
Used actual seating foam from online supplier, 4 way stretch Sailrite vinyl (see their motorcycle seat rebuild on utube) to recover with, mechanical staple gun, electric knife, spray glue, block of wood and tack hammer to fully seat new staples.
Took me 3 days, many road running sitting tests before recovering. Cut away some, but mostly built upon existing seat foam. Glued on and trimmed new foam.
Remove cover staples with needle nose pliers and small screwdriver.....now you lift off foam to see seat pan.

I added inches of foam....over ridge in pan. Widened and squared seat edges for broader seat, sloped front UP to prevent diving upon braking. Used harder foam with cutouts for plastic protrusions, and in nose and tail of seat. Then softer foam over firm foam concaved a bit where I sit.
TEST and Test some more. Cover with trash bag. RIDE IT to test - before recovering.

If you need to lower seating height while retaining stock seat pan.....good luck. Seems you will end up with a hard, uncomfortable seat. I Raised My seat height some 2-3 inches and it is amazingly comfy. I'm 6'3".

If you're going to cut away foam without adding more -- you might want different scoot.
Fish
Wow you sound like you have more patience than I do. I just want to get this done as quickly as possible. I am going to start on it in a matter of minutes, and hopefully be done in 4-5 hours. I definitely will not be cutting any of the foam out that covers the plastic pan now that I have thought about this more. I just want to fill in the void underneath the driver's seat, i.e. the drum. The 2 inch high density foam pad should be enough, and then I will shape that puppy to blend with the front. Thanks to who ever it was in the thread who said I don't need a grinder. That's good because I didn't buy one, and didn't feel like dealing with one. I fully intend to be able to use the original cover. In fact, I am not even going to take the cover all the way off. I am going to take out the staples starting from the rear of the seat, and stop about 3/4 the way to the front. Then I will just peel it back til I have the drum area and the thigh area exposed. Well, here goes nothing. Let the cursing begin.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:Any ideas, suggestions (?)

Stop obsessing and ride the bike?
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

never mind i tried to do a seat modification and i dont have the patience or skills. i wasted $30 in foam. i'm taking it to the upholstery shop in the morning. They'll modify it and put a different cover on it for $180. Nuke this thread!!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

pattomike wrote:never mind i tried to do a seat modification and i dont have the patience or skills. i wasted $30 in foam. i'm taking it to the upholstery shop in the morning. They'll modify it and put a different cover on it for $180. Nuke this thread!!
Well, a wise man knows his limits. (I was working on a $30 used ebay seat...so could take my time and no worries about screwing it up)
Hope you get to test the seat before they put the new cover on.
Hate to have your disappointment with the seat become a sequel.
Fish
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

pattomike wrote:never mind i tried to do a seat modification and i dont have the patience or skills. i wasted $30 in foam. i'm taking it to the upholstery shop in the morning. They'll modify it and put a different cover on it for $180. Nuke this thread!!
$180 is a lot of bread, considering bikerzbits.com has several custom seat options for half that:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda/pcx/pcx-12 ... age-racks/
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

At least you had a go at it.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Smaug wrote:
$180 is a lot of bread, considering bikerzbits.com has several custom seat options for half that:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda/pcx/pcx-12 ... age-racks/

doesn't it take like 14 years to get one? by the time i got it summer will be over
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

By going local, Patto can get exactly what s/he wants. Once you add the shipping to the Thai seat (at least, if you add this-season shipping), you are in the same ballpark as the local guy. s/he also wants to get higher - not precisely the direction that the Thai seats look to be going, at least not without incurring more cost for a custom modification.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

GeorgeSK wrote:By going local, Patto can get exactly what s/he wants. Once you add the shipping to the Thai seat (at least, if you add this-season shipping), you are in the same ballpark as the local guy. s/he also wants to get higher - not precisely the direction that the Thai seats look to be going, at least not without incurring more cost for a custom modification.
Well I found a solution for the time being. It works very nicely. Last weekend I found a oval shaped butt cushion at a garage sale. It is one of those orthopedic things that old people sit on. It is elongated-shaped and has a hole in the middle. I bought a black pillow case from Walmart, and slipped it over the seat and put the cushion under the pillow case. It is not coming out. It was not easy to get it in. It seems to work pretty good for being make-shift. My hips and legs are now at a natural, comfortable angle and height. It probably would not be too hard to make a seat cover out of a pillow case, and put cushion under it. If only I knew how to sew.

Oh well, I have spent the last hour trying to attach pictures. It says they are too big, and I can't resize them. Screw it. Not sure why pic attachments ahve to be such a headache.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:
GeorgeSK wrote:By going local, Patto can get exactly what s/he wants. Once you add the shipping to the Thai seat (at least, if you add this-season shipping), you are in the same ballpark as the local guy. s/he also wants to get higher - not precisely the direction that the Thai seats look to be going, at least not without incurring more cost for a custom modification.
Well I found a solution for the time being. It works very nicely. Last weekend I found a oval shaped butt cushion at a garage sale. It is one of those orthopedic things that old people sit on. It is elongated-shaped and has a hole in the middle. I bought a black pillow case from Walmart, and slipped it over the seat and put the cushion under the pillow case. It is not coming out. It was not easy to get it in. It seems to work pretty good for being make-shift. My hips and legs are now at a natural, comfortable angle and height. It probably would not be too hard to make a seat cover out of a pillow case, and put cushion under it. If only I knew how to sew.

Oh well, I have spent the last hour trying to attach pictures. It says they are too big, and I can't resize them. Screw it. Not sure why pic attachments ahve to be such a headache.
Hole in the middle :lol:

It is a pile cushion.

Sexy look :lol: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

pattomike wrote: Oh well, I have spent the last hour trying to attach pictures. It says they are too big, and I can't resize them. Screw it. Not sure why pic attachments have to be such a headache.
Oh no you don't... we must have a picture of the hemorrhoid cushion on the PCX saddle.

I assume you have a windows platform on a computer

Email images from your phone to yourself and then move them into the picture directory on your computer

Open the paint program in windows

file/open
choose from your picture directory any image
resize/
leave the dot in the percentage, take it from 100% to maybe 15%
OK/save
done