2019 PCX abs?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

2019 PCX abs?

Post by Greenmeenie »

I have a feeling that next years PCX will be the model that finally gets abs. With the release of Yamaha's NMax last year which includes abs, I think it's a pretty good bet that Honda will probably add it to the PCX next year. With other possible design changes. What do y'all think?

Having said that, I'm happy about buying a PCX this year. Hope to nab mine in the next week. Can't wait to get riding.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Re: 2019 PCX abs?

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've got a new 2017 PCX and I'm totally down with the OEM combined braking system. I have no problems with the front disc or rear drum brakes. To me, ABS would be "overkill" and just extra money down the drain for little or no improvement. If it was going to add $500 to the price of the PCX I'd just get a 300cc non-ABS motorcycle. It's a personal choice. I've lived without ABS and never missed it. In fact from a maintenance standpoint it's just one more thing to fail later on down the line. Sensors get corroded. . .pumps fail. . .you name it. Same thing with electric roll down windows in a car. Just one more thing to breakdown. 8)
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

PCX150Rider wrote:I've got a new 2017 PCX and I'm totally down with the OEM combined braking system. I have no problems with the front disc or rear drum brakes. To me, ABS would be "overkill" and just extra money down the drain for little or no improvement. If it was going to add $500 to the price of the PCX I'd just get a 300cc non-ABS motorcycle. It's a personal choice. I've lived without ABS and never missed it. In fact from a maintenance standpoint it's just one more thing to fail later on down the line. Sensors get corroded. . .pumps fail. . .you name it. Same thing with electric roll down windows in a car. Just one more thing to breakdown. 8)
I actually totally agree with you. Abs on a 150cc is overkill, and if it raises the price of the PCX, kinda defeats one of the best aspects of the PCX...it's affordability!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Getting the PCX upgraded by Honda took 4 years 2011-2015. My money is on them holding for a while yet.
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

homie wrote:Getting the PCX upgraded by Honda took 4 years 2011-2015. My money is on them holding for a while yet.
True, but the 2015 redesign was announced in 2014, so Honda announcing another redesign in 2018 would be the exact same timeframe. Not saying they will, but with Yamaha releasing the NMax, it's totally within the realm of possibility.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:I've got a new 2017 PCX and I'm totally down with the OEM combined braking system. I have no problems with the front disc or rear drum brakes. To me, ABS would be "overkill" and just extra money down the drain for little or no improvement. If it was going to add $500 to the price of the PCX I'd just get a 300cc non-ABS motorcycle. It's a personal choice. I've lived without ABS and never missed it. In fact from a maintenance standpoint it's just one more thing to fail later on down the line. Sensors get corroded. . .pumps fail. . .you name it. Same thing with electric roll down windows in a car. Just one more thing to breakdown. 8)
I agree
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
I agree
Me three!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I'm happy with my scooter brakes too. I don't think any scooter or for that matter most street bikes can decelerate as fast as a PCX when you really lay into both levers.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

ABS only added £200 to one of the Honds UK scooters (model evades me now, but they used to sell non-abs and ABS). ABS is a good thing as many of the accidents people have perhaps could have been avoided with ABS - no front wheel lock up for starters which seems to happen when people jerk react and pull the lever too fast to soon.

If you want an ABS PCX in europe, probably have to import the 150cc version sold in europe as Honda are unlikely to add cost to the PCX and take sales away from the Forza 125 (which has ABS). I believe anything above 125cc will have to have ABS by european law (soon if not already).

Countries that have their fare share of wet and poor weather probably can do with ABS more so than warmer drier countries.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

I have had this expectation last year when Nmax caught both more eyeballs and sales, but Honda disappointed me.
Still the same wish next year....
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

ABS is awesome. You only need it once to pay for itself, either in injury or money.

Just one patch of unseen sand, gravel, black ice... Just one animal in the road that causes you to panic brake too hard, to fast, that's all it takes.

I had an accident on my Buddy 125 in 2007. I was just cruising down a country road on a hot summer night. Minding my own business, only going 45 miles per hour. Suddenly, a deer was there just standing in the middle of the road. Even though I'm an experienced motorcyclist, with good braking habits, I locked up that front wheel immediately and went pavement surfing. It was painful and expensive, and ABS would have saved it all from happening. ( also, thank God for a full-face helmet!)

Another time, on my Yamaha FJR 1300, another deer suddenly appeared in front of me. That time, I braked harder but in a more controlled manner. Even so, the ABS for the rear brake pushed back on me and saved me from locking up the rear wheel. We are stronger than we think we are when our reflexes and adrenaline kick in.
-Jeremy
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

iceman wrote:ABS only added £200 to one of the Honds UK scooters (model evades me now, but they used to sell non-abs and ABS). ABS is a good thing as many of the accidents people have perhaps could have been avoided with ABS - no front wheel lock up for starters which seems to happen when people jerk react and pull the lever too fast to soon.

If you want an ABS PCX in europe, probably have to import the 150cc version sold in europe as Honda are unlikely to add cost to the PCX and take sales away from the Forza 125 (which has ABS). I believe anything above 125cc will have to have ABS by european law (soon if not already).

Countries that have their fare share of wet and poor weather probably can do with ABS more so than warmer drier countries.
Wow. I didn't know they had a Forza 125. I guess it makes sense since the PCX is a 125cc over there in Europe. Here in the States 150cc is the minimum for highway riding. How are the sales for the Forza compared to the PCX over there? I could see Honda releasing a PCX with abs over here in the states to compete with the NMax...but maybe not in Europe cause it would then canabalize Forza sales perhaps. Unless Honda discontinued the Forza 125.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

ABS is awesome. You only need it once to pay for itself, either in injury or money.

Just one patch of unseen sand, gravel, black ice... Just one animal in the road that causes you to panic brake too hard, to fast, that's all it takes.

I had an accident on my Buddy 125 in 2007. I was just cruising down a country road on a hot summer night. Minding my own business, only going 45 miles per hour. Suddenly, a deer was there just standing in the middle of the road. Even though I'm an experienced motorcyclist, with good braking habits, I locked up that front wheel immediately and went pavement surfing. It was painful and expensive, and ABS would have saved it all from happening. ( also, thank God for a full-face helmet!)

Another time, on my Yamaha FJR 1300, another deer suddenly appeared in front of me. That time, I braked harder but in a more controlled manner. Even so, the ABS for the rear brake pushed back on me and saved me from locking up the rear wheel. We are stronger than we think we are when our reflexes and adrenaline kick in.
At the end of the day it's whatever gets you through right? :lol:

As I age into retirement I definitely have changed my riding habits. Big reasons to. . .. More congestion on the highways. More distracted drivers. More displaced wildlife. More stupid people who will walk into a mailbox texting. Failing infrastructure and poor road surface conditions. Less escape routes on Interstate Highways due to the installation of Jersey barriers which essentially place you into a "cattle shoot" situation. A lot people with a lot on their minds driving who look through you rather than at you. Drivers who should be hanging up the keys to the car but refuse to because of fear of becoming "shut-ins". A general acceptance that it's OK to drive 20 MPH over the speed limit (85 in a 65 zone) as long as one doesn't get caught. The list goes on. We face more threats to our safety as riders of scooters or motorcycles than we ever have before IMHO. I can't speak for those on the other regions of our planet but I'll bet that they have their challenges as well. o_O

If all scooters or motorcycles eventually have ABS I'll continue to ride as long as I can but in the mean time I'm OK with what I have. 8)

As a side note I've also got a Genuine Roughhouse (with the 10 inch wheels) and almost got the Buddy 125 but didn't think I'd need it at the time. My Vespa/Genuine dealer went out of business since then and I moved up to the PCX. Still riding the R50 though. . .it reminds me of how much fun it is to ride fast at 40 MPH. :lol:
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Actually, I just realized the Yamaha NMax with abs isn't available here in the states. My bad. Only the Yamaha SMax step thru style scooter without abs is available here. I think the NMax is only in Asia now. So perhaps there is no pressure for Honda to put abs on the PCX here in the States after all.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Actually, I just realized the Yamaha NMax with abs isn't available here in the states. My bad. Only the Yamaha SMax step thru style scooter without abs is available here. I think the NMax is only in Asia now. So perhaps there is no pressure for Honda to put abs on the PCX here in the States after all.
Ah yes. . .the N-Max. . .not to be confused with the S-Max. But if you do like the N-Max parlez vous francais? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOcf2KZW3JY :D
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Ah yes. . .the N-Max. . .not to be confused with the S-Max. But if you do like the N-Max parlez vous francais? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOcf2KZW3JY :D
Ha! I've already watched that video. And no, I don't parlez vous francais. Lol. In fact, while researching/shopping for scoots, I've watched PCX vids in Turkish, Russian, Thai, Japanese and Portuguese. And I don't speak any of those languages either! Oddly enough, even tho I do speak some Chinese from living in Taiwan...there are hardly any PCX videos in Chinese. Or PCX videos from Taiwan period. The only one I found was from Canadian motovlogger M13 when he reviewed it in Taiwan. But the PCX is actually called the "prestige" in Taiwan. Weird. I guess there are so many Taiwanese scooter makers over there that the PCX hasn't become as popular as it has in other parts of the world.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Greenmeenie wrote:Wow. I didn't know they had a Forza 125. I guess it makes sense since the PCX is a 125cc over there in Europe. Here in the States 150cc is the minimum for highway riding. How are the sales for the Forza compared to the PCX over there? I could see Honda releasing a PCX with abs over here in the states to compete with the NMax...but maybe not in Europe cause it would then canabalize Forza sales perhaps. Unless Honda discontinued the Forza 125.
No idea but lots of Forza 125 sales - even though the price shot up by about £500 recently - it's now around £4550!
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

iceman wrote:
Greenmeenie wrote:Wow. I didn't know they had a Forza 125. I guess it makes sense since the PCX is a 125cc over there in Europe. Here in the States 150cc is the minimum for highway riding. How are the sales for the Forza compared to the PCX over there? I could see Honda releasing a PCX with abs over here in the states to compete with the NMax...but maybe not in Europe cause it would then canabalize Forza sales perhaps. Unless Honda discontinued the Forza 125.
No idea but lots of Forza 125 sales - even though the price shot up by about £500 recently - it's now around £4550!
Yikes. Here in the states the price diff btwn the PCX & Forza makes sense cause one is 150cc with a rear drum brake and the other is a 300cc with dual disc. How much more does the Forza 125 cost compared to the PCX 125 over there?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

You wont appreciate ABS until you have to do emergency braking running 100kph.

Linked brake is powrful enough to stop the pcx, but ABS will keep you rubber on the road instead of face on the asphalt.

Nmax has ABS and it is cheaper than PCX here. I almost bought the nmax but the dealer asking many documents, I ended up with the PCX and im happy.

Wish they put abs on the next pcx though. If only forza wasnt too bloated for me.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I would appreciate ABS. I think riders in Thailand would appreciate ABS most as it seems to be wet most times there?

About 2019 model, I also feel it might be the biggest update since 2015 model. Maybe a proper stock windshield? New dashboard layout? Possibly will come with an airbag, or was that idea abandoned? Most definitely a new colour?

Anyway, I still see a lot of people happily riding their non-LED PCX, so I should be fine with my 2015 for a very long time regardless.
ImageImageImage