Full Face & 3/4

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Full Face & 3/4

Post by Greenmeenie »

Gonna be getting my new white PCX by the end of the month. Buying all my gear now. Was wondering how many out there own both a 3/4 helmet & a full face? Most videos I see of PCXs in Europe and Asia the riders seem to be all wearing 3/4. I guess that makes sense in stop & go city & urban traffic. I will probably get both eventually. I live in NY, and will be keeping it fairly local this summer most likely, so I'll probably get the 3/4 first. The Shoei J-Cruise fits me perfectly. Next Spring I plan to do a lot of longer trips & more touring on it, so will get a full face then.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Full Face & 3/4

Post by homie »

I tried a half shell once and found it to be uncomfortable always anticipating a rock or bug in the face. Distracting to say the least so its full face with bluetooth electronics phone/music and no fear of rock haulers or grass hoppers for me :) unless you have a tall screen then sail on with ye half shell WOOT!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm ugly so it's full face all the way...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I have a full face, modular, and 3/4. I use the 3/4 around town mostly but seldom ever use it on the open road. My modular does it all. The full face I lean on in winter. I've been riding for many years so my 3/4 and full face are a legacy. I've tossed helmets in the trash when they've started to literally deteriorate which makes them less effective. You can wash them out with simple dish water liquid or soap but read the manufacturer's instructions.

If I was only going to have one helmet I'd get the modular. It may not fit under your PCX seat so use the helmet leash wire. But the nice thing is you can get gas and go in and by raising the chin bar be able to communicate with the store clerk and since they can see you plainly it's a lot more congenial. When you get back on the scoot just pop the chin bar back down. . .vent as required. . .and go. Some of the modulars even have pop down sun shades. I've got the HJC Symax III. There are other brands to choose from so it's a personal choice. The thing about the Symax is I find it quite acceptable for warm weather riding. $$ is always a factor so if you want to get one at least make sure it's DOT rated and SNELL is a plus. Since you live on Long Island it gets windy there and you get that Summer tourist traffic. Having a helmet that gives your face more protection is even more important when the party people arrive. 8)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I liked the idea of a modular, but I also like the idea of Snell certification. I believe there is something about the way Snell tests that causes modulars to fail. A quick explore of Revzilla resulted in finding plenty of modulars, but there was no filter selection for Snell until you choose full face.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I currently use a 3/4 with a removable chin bar. The chin bar is more for looks and wind noise reduction, rather than for safety. I also have a 1/2 helmet I got free with my PCX, which I only use on very short trips on village roads, like to convenience shop, barber, mosque, etc. I'm thinking about getting a dual sport helmet in the future, as I think most full face helmets have small visor area which I don't like..
ImageImageImage
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

The most common place to hit the head in a bike wreck is the chin. I've crashed 3 times, and twice, the chin bar on the full face helmet saved me jaw surgery.

If you're going to compromise, modular is the way to go. ( though their chin bars are not as robust as a full face helmet's)
-Jeremy
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Thanks for all the feedback. I totally intend to get both a full face & the shoei 3/4 j cruise. Just ordered the Shoei. I'm gonna take it slow this summer. Mostly short local trips.no highway. I know that doesn't ensure no accidents, but I think it makes sense. I will get the full face later for sure. More towards the winter, and for next season when I plan some long trips. One thing I like about the 3/4 Shoei is that the field of vision is huge. But it also has a full face shield and extended sides that run down the jawline unlike the classic bell custom style 3/4 which leaves your whole face and jawline exposed. Again...I know it's not a full face, but since I plan to get both eventually, and my riding habits this summer will be local, I am happy with my decision.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm sharing what a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 lid looks like (I chose the White :D
I see what you mean about Jaw Coverage and the larger field of view. Nice. I'm glad you're planning on buying a full-face as well. Please don't change your mind.
Attachments
0130-0109-03-9.jpg
0130-0109-03-9.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

WhiteNoise wrote:I'm sharing what a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 lid looks like (I chose the White :D
I see what you mean about Jaw Coverage and the larger field of view. Nice. I'm glad you're planning on buying a full-face as well. Please don't change your mind.
Totally plan on getting a full face. It's been awhile since I've ridden. But I learned how to ride scooters in the crazy congested streets of Taipei when I was teaching English over there. So many people didn't even wear helmets or obey traffic rules. It was like Mad Max over there. Good training. But things are just as dangerous over here in the states now since the advent of the smartphone. So I don't take safety lightly. I'm really gonna take it slow this summer. Like I said, keep it local and not get cocky.

Yup. White to match my soon to be white PCX. I'll look like a friggin storm trooper from Star Wars, but I'll be visible.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Full face most of the time, but i also have a half-face helmet as a reserve. Can't take the heat hitting my face on a half face helmet, South east Asia cant get so hot and humid.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Years ago I came off my Vespa on slow speed on gravel. The scratches on the chin of my helmet were deep.

I love the idea of an open face helmet but can't persuade myself to accept the risk.
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Mister Paul wrote:Years ago I came off my Vespa on slow speed on gravel. The scratches on the chin of my helmet were deep.

I love the idea of an open face helmet but can't persuade myself to accept the risk.
Yeah, I hear ya. Makes total sense. And I do intend to get a FF. But for this summer I'll be using my PCX here in NY for around town local errands & short trips. No highways. So the 3/4 makes sense. Especially in the summer city heat. It's funny, most of the videos I watch on youtube of Vespa or PCX riders in European or Asian cities are wearing 3/4 as well. When I start touring next spring, I fully plan on getting a FF for my Mellon. My shoei 3/4 arrives in the mail tomorrow. Will post pics!

By the way, how do I share pics from my phone on this board? Thanks!
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Local driving and taking it easy don't decrease the risk of taking a hit on the chin. Statistically, you're less likely to take a chin hit on the highway. Intersections are the most dangerous places for motorcyclists, due to oncoming left-turners.

Consider picking up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough. That one book has probably saved me a couple of wrecks.
-Jeremy
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Smaug wrote:Local driving and taking it easy don't decrease the risk of taking a hit on the chin. Statistically, you're less likely to take a chin hit on the highway. Intersections are the most dangerous places for motorcyclists, due to oncoming left-turners.

Consider picking up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough. That one book has probably saved me a couple of wrecks.
Oh, I intend to avoid all intersections too. ;) Seriously tho, I totally agree. There are no guarantees. Of this, I am well aware. I read Proficient motorcycling, and I just took the MSF course as well as a defensive riding course. I haven't ridden for awhile, but I rode for years while living in Taiwan. That was a defensive riding course in and of itself! I'm confident in my skills, but humble enough to admit that in riding, as in life, I never stop learning. I'm totally aware that a 3/4 will never be as safe as a FF. I accept that risk. I will eventually switch between a 3/4 and a FF and will enjoy both. I just happened to buy the 3/4 first. I'm definitely looking forward to riding again. Gonna be a fun summer. Happy(and safe) riding!
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Speaking of intersections, watch those brake lights & left turning vehicles people! Did y'all see this YouTube video of a PCX rider crashing? Guy walked away but totaled his PCX. Lucky.
https://youtu.be/CJlDLge_SfQ
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My 3/4 helmet has worked out well, even when I had an accident. In fact, the helmet sustained damage during the accident but I walked away without a scratch. Just remember to tuck & roll, and your chin will be well protected. In my case, I rolled at around 40 mph down an asphalt road. I had full protection gear except for a 3/4 helmet, which was well beat up but held up like it should.
Notice how far down the lid goes on that Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 lid. As long as the lid is locked in place you will be fine.

As for that accident Greenmeenie showed above, ouch! That is exactly what my wife fears. When I see brake lights I start riding my brakes, and when I am at a intersection like that I slow to a creep. We have an intersection that goes into our subdivision that is just like that, and the police are out there daily for accidents. That is also why I added more front LED lights to the bike. Even then, be careful. The truck driver was not looking for a bike, I am sure.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Although probably not the safest, I use a half helmet with a padded leather ear pads. I tried all the other ones but feel too confined, noisy, drumming etc and sometimes condensation on the face shield etc. I am cooler and can hear more of the environmental and danger sounds around me better. In florida least is better due to the heat, but of course I use a tall shield to prevent bug and stone hits with some nice tinted goggles. Works well down here.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Speaking of intersections, watch those brake lights & left turning vehicles people! Did y'all see this YouTube video of a PCX rider crashing? Guy walked away but totaled his PCX. Lucky.
Thanks for sharing. . .just proves that when passing a line of cars anything can pull out in front of you. I had a similar situation happen to me this morning but from my riding experience I was aware of what the driver in this case could potentially pull. I was approaching a left hand bend (blind on the inside of the turn due to bushes and buildings) in a beach area going around 25 MPH that has two roads that intersect on the outside edge of the bend. A car was coming in my direction with a BMW driver (I could see the front of his car emerge into the turn and start to change direction) right behind him who decided to blindly make a left hand turn and continue without slowing down into one of the side streets. As I spotted the front end of the BMW behind the guy coming at me I prepared to go off the gas and monitor the brakes just in case he decided to make the left hand turn which he ultimately did. As he was going up the street he looked over at me like he was surprised. . .he evidently made the turn without even knowing I was there. He did not slow down. He did not stop to make sure he had full visibility of what was in his oncoming lane. He just went for it. I've seen countless people shoot off that bend over the years going too fast or not signaling or not slowing down to see if someone else is coming so I'm always suspicious. In my case curiosity saves the cat. :lol: 8)

FWIW I had my 3/4 helmet on because I was only going to travel about a mile and a half. . .go figure. That fickle finger of fate always points in your direction when you think one would least expect it. ;)
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Thanks for sharing. . .just proves that when passing a line of cars anything can pull out in front of you. I had a similar situation happen to me this morning but from my riding experience I was aware of what the driver in this case could potentially pull. I was approaching a left hand bend (blind on the inside of the turn due to bushes and buildings) in a beach area going around 25 MPH that has two roads that intersect on the outside edge of the bend. A car was coming in my direction with a BMW driver (I could see the front of his car emerge into the turn and start to change direction) right behind him who decided to blindly make a left hand turn and continue without slowing down into one of the side streets. As I spotted the front end of the BMW behind the guy coming at me I prepared to go off the gas and monitor the brakes just in case he decided to make the left hand turn which he ultimately did. As he was going up the street he looked over at me like he was surprised. . .he evidently made the turn without even knowing I was there. He did not slow down. He did not stop to make sure he had full visibility of what was in his oncoming lane. He just went for it. I've seen countless people shoot off that bend over the years going too fast or not signaling or not slowing down to see if someone else is coming so I'm always suspicious. In my case curiosity saves the cat. :lol: 8)

FWIW I had my 3/4 helmet on because I was only going to travel about a mile and a half. . .go figure. That fickle finger of fate always points in your direction when you think one would least expect it. ;)
Congrats on being aware enough to spot that potential disaster and avoiding it!