what gas do you use in your pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: what gas do you use in your pcx

Post by Jge64 »

easyrider wrote:
Jge64 wrote:We have 87 non-ethanol here....my bike runs better on it.
Ethanol is about 33% less energy than normal gasoline. Propane about 50% less energy when we did fuel mileage tests..
Yup, it seems to idle and accelerate better. And on the price, get real.....when I'm buying just a gallon of gas or so every month, I could give a damn about the price.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Price wise, I must be cheap. I am not willing to pay $2.67 for non-ethanol gas when I can put the ethanol blend in for $2.07, even if it is only a gallon or so...and usually we fill our two bikes at the same time, which means that we buy about 3 gallons. I just don't like to waste money.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

In PCX run gasoline AI-95 Belorusneft meets U.S. 89. Tried 92 Ron (87 us), and the scooter seems to be more noisy, but it accelerates better. Maybe it's the only difference I think.
Attachments
1184578-261052-4x188588 (1).JPG
1184578-261052-4x188588 (1).JPG (99.52 KiB) Viewed 526 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Runs better, sounds better, now faster, smoother running etc its all psychological. Gasoline is gasoline. Different companies have different detergent packages but in the end mostly all the same due to the government mandates. Higher octane fuels do not necessarily give you more energy per se , just provides more anti knock additives which are necessary for higher compression ratios used in higher performance environments. Ethanol fuels are cleaner burning have less BTU and will yield less mpg than non ethanol blends .The alcohol(ethanol) has an affinity for water so humid and wet marine environments may have issues , but if used and not stored for long periods should also be OK .The best you can do for your bike is to buy from newer gasoline stations that have newer in ground tanks. Stay away from the older mom and pop stations as they tend to be leakers and have aged tanks.The newer tanks are double lined and have lots of EPA protections. I think most fuel stations today have to have had to make modifications by EPA regs, but may still be some rogues left ???
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am sure that there are quite a few older stations that have not been updated. There was one in our neighborhood a few years back that had never had its tanks upgraded, but eventually they wanted to upgrade their pumps since the pumps had finally worn out. To get the newer pumps installed they had to meet the new EPA regulations. The station closed permanently. Eventually a company owned station was built there, but it took them many months of valuable time to remove the old tanks and take care of the petroleum saturated ground before they could move forward with building the new facility.
If you drove up into the mountains around our state and neighboring states, I am sure you would pass quite a few of those older 'Mom & Pop' gas stations that have been handed down from father to son to grandson without ever being changed or updated. On one of our trips we pulled into a station that had non-electronic pumps, with no card slot. When you went inside they ran your card the old fashion way...paper. Not many like that left, but they do exist.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Yes Mel, that's true.. Many older stations have polluted the soil and the new buyer has to reconstitute the land and is responsible for all the clean up to the tune of removing most of or all the soil on the plot with new fill or reconstitute it by firing it (burning it) and then re installing it..very expensive.Most replace it , but disposal of the contaminated soil has to go to certain approved hazardous dump sites. After reconstituting the old plot then they have to drill monitoring wells and send in water samples periodically. Its really an involved and expensive deal to purchase an old gas station. Many junk yards are closing to due to the expense involved in reconstituting the land there on as well.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Runs better, sounds better, now faster, smoother running etc its all psychological. Gasoline is gasoline. Different companies have different detergent packages but in the end mostly all the same due to the government mandates. Higher octane fuels do not necessarily give you more energy per se , just provides more anti knock additives which are necessary for higher compression ratios used in higher performance environments. Ethanol fuels are cleaner burning have less BTU and will yield less mpg than non ethanol blends .The alcohol(ethanol) has an affinity for water so humid and wet marine environments may have issues , but if used and not stored for long periods should also be OK .The best you can do for your bike is to buy from newer gasoline stations that have newer in ground tanks. Stay away from the older mom and pop stations as they tend to be leakers and have aged tanks.The newer tanks are double lined and have lots of EPA protections. I think most fuel stations today have to have had to make modifications by EPA regs, but may still be some rogues left ???
That pretty well sums it all up. Back in 2002 a lot of marinas had problems with boats that were built with fiberglass gas tanks because the ethanol fuels were softening up the resins and causing serious problems. Tanks had to be torn out and replaced. Most of the "old" gas stations in my area are long gone or have been converted into some other type of business and never pumped gas again. :geek:
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

easyrider wrote:Runs better, sounds better, now faster, smoother running etc its all psychological. Gasoline is gasoline.
That's right, "the placebo effect" :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I don't think eth in the gas is all "psychological" ....there are some real benefits to running straight gas, particularly in small engines....

https://axleaddict.com/misc/Pros-and-Co ... nol-in-Gas
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I can definitely tell the difference in pickup with gas that does not have ethanol in it, and I also note that it seems to hesitate more with the ethanol blend. That is why I have to occasionally add Seafoam to my tank.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

Don't like how the PCX 89 gasoline, a feeling that the mixture burns slowly and with a sharp reset of the throttle, the muffler occur microexplosions. Before such did not notice. Next season you should try 87 gas.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

This has legs :lol: :lol: :lol: