what gas do you use in your pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

what gas do you use in your pcx

Post by eggman »

i use chevron 93 octane
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: what gas do you use in your pcx

Post by homie »

eggman wrote:i use chevron 93 octane
The SM is very specific about 87 octane for the little engine. But here is just one of a thousand lively conversations in this forum on the subject. You can search as many as you like.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... =87+octane
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

im pretty sure ive read its 91 but imay be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There are two methods of calculating octane, the European method and the U.S. method. By the European method it is 91, but by the U.S. method it is 87, so read the owners manual carefully.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I use Shell Regular Unleaded. . .87 Octane. The PCX is most always getting over 100 MPG with it. . .mix of around town and state two lane road riding. I add Startron fuel treatment on occasion to help curb ethanol issues including phasing. :geek:
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

I use Chevron Supreme Plus (94 octane) which is most certainly overkill as I'm sure it make little to no difference in performance.

I use it because it has no ethanol which provides a longer shelf life since ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor directly from the atmosphere

During the winter months a tank can last me up to 3 months, so gasoline blended with ethanol will absorb/retain water more so than non-ethanol blends
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:I use Shell Regular Unleaded. . .87 Octane. The PCX is most always getting over 100 MPG with it. . .mix of around town and state two lane road riding. I add Startron fuel treatment on occasion to help curb ethanol issues including phasing. :geek:
Phasing?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Phasing?
Here's a brief explanation. It's a big problem in the boating industry especially. Ethanol absorbs water out of the air and it ruins your fuel characteristics and ultimately creates havoc in a fuel system and or engine. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrb4pl03xCg

I can only get fuel that contains ethanol in my area. . .. So if I think I'm not using one of my bikes enough to keep fresh gas in it I lean on the Startron fuel additive to reduce the risk of it spoiling. :o
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Interesting.. I did some quick searches on other vehicles' recommended fuel rating (Honda CBR1000RR, Suzuki Vitara, Ford Fiesta, Honda NSX) and they all seem to say "RON 91 or higher". Enlighten me, please.

As for my PCX, I have always put RON 97 "Premium" fuel in it. The next option was RON 92 "Super" fuel which costs only BND0.011/litre less (USD0.02998/USgallon if I got it right). So seems not much money can be wasted or saved anyway.
ImageImageImage
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

i heard a wild conspiracy theory about ethanol i thought ide share. So why do they insist on putting ethanol in all the gas, its bad for engines its nothing but trouble it serves no real beneficial purpose. But ethanol has a very unique and scary attribute. Theres a specific wavelength that can ignite it. So (again this is just a theory) imagine if your govt has a dark secret, a plan to kill millions and millions of people and also need a way of doing it where they cant be blamed.....just send that wavelength out like a radio wave across the country or the world. and it would ignite the ethanol thereby igniting the gasoline that its in creating explosions everywhere. The gas stations would blow up in huge explosions, the cars, the trucks, the motorcycles, the boats etc. there would be alot of carnage. Of course my own theory added to it is: what if they wanted to stage a fake alien invasion and they wanna pretend like the aliens have a super weapon and do all this in order to make us lose our rights... "Submit and the attacks stop" anyways. pretty wild huh. True or not if you hear of cars exploding mysteriously get away from any (if you get the chance to)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Yup. Wild. Ludicrous, from an engineering/chemistry/physics point of view.

The only benefit I see it to your local corn grower and his governmental lobbyist. If you don't live in a major corn-growing state, the ethanol mandates don't do you much, if any good. At least, not IMHO.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

happyscooter wrote:i heard a wild conspiracy theory about ethanol i thought ide share. So why do they insist on putting ethanol in all the gas, its bad for engines its nothing but trouble it serves no real beneficial purpose. But ethanol has a very unique and scary attribute. Theres a specific wavelength that can ignite it. So (again this is just a theory) imagine if your govt has a dark secret, a plan to kill millions and millions of people and also need a way of doing it where they cant be blamed.....just send that wavelength out like a radio wave across the country or the world. and it would ignite the ethanol thereby igniting the gasoline that its in creating explosions everywhere. The gas stations would blow up in huge explosions, the cars, the trucks, the motorcycles, the boats etc. there would be alot of carnage. Of course my own theory added to it is: what if they wanted to stage a fake alien invasion and they wanna pretend like the aliens have a super weapon and do all this in order to make us lose our rights... "Submit and the attacks stop" anyways. pretty wild huh. True or not if you hear of cars exploding mysteriously get away from any (if you get the chance to)
Not the stupid thing I've heard on here :lol:
pumps
Color: Red

Post by pumps »

The local chain of convenience stores sells premium ethanol free fuel....at a premium cost but I don't mind. I use it in all my bikes and lawn mower etc.
My other rides are a 67 Honda CA160
1975 & 1979 Honda CT90 Trail 90s
2000 Kawasaki W650
In Kansas City , Missouri.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

We have 87 non-ethanol here....my bike runs better on it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

QT-pump display.jpg
QT-pump display.jpg (115.66 KiB) Viewed 9868 times
I just saw this at our newly remodeled QT. The price for the No Ethanol pump is higher than even the high test gas Pump, but it is only 87 octane! Well, if you want non-ethanol you can have it, for a price. I would think that high test would be ethanol free, but if you want to pay more, here you are.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

At least you have the option. I would certainly be using it at the end of the season when the gas would be sitting in the tank for a few months. Other three seasons? Not worth it to me. Scoot runs fine on the 10% EtOH regular.

How much was the extra cost?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Jge64 wrote:We have 87 non-ethanol here....my bike runs better on it.
Ethanol is about 33% less energy than normal gasoline. Propane about 50% less energy when we did fuel mileage tests..
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

I use what ever my neighbor uses in his pickup truck. Runs great and free.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I mostly use Shell regular 87 octane. A little Startron additive helps avoid ethanol issues. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The price of the regular unleaded 87 octane with ethanol was 2.07 . The high test with ethanol was 2.62, while the No Ethanol 87 octane was 2.67! ...that is $.60 more per gallon than the ethanol mixture of regular, and $.05 per gallon more than the high test. I thought they didn't put ethanol in high test??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150