5,000 mile maintenance costs?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 5,000 mile maintenance costs?

Post by homie »

TheMaverick wrote:I've got a new belt and clutch plates on standby - will deal with rollers when the time comes. I'm quite happy with the stock variator too; I read about various changes that people make, but I'm struggling to believe that Honda haven't already got the most efficient design for their engine therefore there's likely to be a trade-off in any mod that gives faster acceleration & higher top-end speed and that trade-off is likely to be engine life - not something I'm prepared to compromise (and frankly there's just nothing in the existing design that I'm in any way unhappy with).
Agreed! it is very effectively tuned by Honda with the stock set up... for fuel efficiency ;) Honda strives and competes heavily promoting their mpg as the selling point which is excellent for high fuel prices. We pigs in murica don't much care bout that :lol: and sometimes roll that fuel efficiency build back for best performance. btw what are we paying for a gal of petro in Z'land these days?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote: Agreed! it is very effectively tuned by Honda with the stock set up... for fuel efficiency ;) Honda strives and competes heavily promoting their mpg as the selling point which is excellent for high fuel prices. We pigs in murica don't much care bout that :lol: and sometimes roll that fuel efficiency build back for best performance. btw what are we paying for a gal of petro in Z'land these days?
Interesting that you'd mention economy as the priority; for me the comparison was never with other scooters - only with cars - and when I drive a car that does 10km per litre it really doesn't make much difference to me if a scooter does 40 or 45km per litre. So not sure if I'm the exception or not but these days when I fill up I almost feel like apologising for wasting their time for the paltry $$$ they get from me.

Last fill for me was NZD 1.86 per litre - it's been around there for a while. Was well over $2 a litre a few years ago.

In terms of best performance, I'd still be more concerned about engine wear - some of the mods are asking for an extra 20 to 25% power from the same size engine - and I suspect that fuel economy isn't the only thing to take a hit long term (from the "we don't get something for nothing" dept). I don't lose any sleep over it, but not something that interests me. If Honda were to make any changes to my PCX I think all I'd ask for is a bigger tank (which they already did compared to my 2013 model (bought in 2015)) and a slightly bigger engine so I could run at a true 100km/hr without being WOT (head down, smacking it's rear end with a rider's whip!) In all seriousness, even the existing power is (just) OK at WOT but I do wish for a bit more power when punching into a stiff headwind, but not at the risk of shortened engine life. I asked a friend once if he thought the Honda Fireblade would have enough power to allow me to cruise at the open road limit and still have enough power in reserve to pass cars when needed; he didn't know the bike so he looked it up and was assured to read that it has a top speed of around 160km/hr ... in 1st gear ...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

AttieeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnHhhhuuuuuuuuuutttttttt. . .. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iOO1km9Coo&vl=en 8)
Quetzl Jity
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Quetzl Jity »

For anyone still interested in my initial post, I had the 5,000 mile maintenance done at DuPage Honda on North Ave. in West Chicago.

I had the service at ~7,500 miles so I was quite a bit over the 5,000 mile mark. Up until this point, the only work done to it was the valve check at 300 miles (which cost me a little over $300) and my yearly oil changes I do myself.

Going into it, I already knew I was in need of new brakes and new tires so the cost was going to be more than just the maintenance.

All told, the total for the 5,000 mile maintenance, new brakes and new tires was $1,050.

If it was just the 5,000 miles maintenance with no other added work or costs, the total would've been $427.50.

Felt like a lot of money when I was paying it, but I shouldn't have to worry about anything other than oil changes for the next 8,000-10,000 miles.

All said and done, they did good work, although it took much longer than expected due to a part needing to be delivered to finish the job.

Keep in mind this was a Honda dealership and not a mom and pop place so I knew I was going to be charged top dollar for the service going in to it, but I think it was worth it.

It's running great and I'm back on the road!

Hope this little summary helps for anyone looking into getting this done by an official Honda dealer.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

5000 miles maintenance cost will depend on the level of wear on the bike.

For most people, at 5000 miles all you'd have to do is an oil change, which is about 5$ worth of oil (I use Rotella T6).

If your tire is worn on the rear, it would cost you anywhere between 40-65$ for a tire.

Valves should have been checked at 600 miles and I wouldn't check them again until after 10K.

Now if you are asking how much dealers and shops would like to charge you for their service - I would answer - AS MUCH AS THEY CAN.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Quetzl Jity wrote:For anyone still interested in my initial post, I had the 5,000 mile maintenance done at DuPage Honda on North Ave. in West Chicago.

I had the service at ~7,500 miles so I was quite a bit over the 5,000 mile mark. Up until this point, the only work done to it was the valve check at 300 miles (which cost me a little over $300) and my yearly oil changes I do myself.

Going into it, I already knew I was in need of new brakes and new tires so the cost was going to be more than just the maintenance.

All told, the total for the 5,000 mile maintenance, new brakes and new tires was $1,050.

If it was just the 5,000 miles maintenance with no other added work or costs, the total would've been $427.50.

Felt like a lot of money when I was paying it, but I shouldn't have to worry about anything other than oil changes for the next 8,000-10,000 miles.

All said and done, they did good work, although it took much longer than expected due to a part needing to be delivered to finish the job.

Keep in mind this was a Honda dealership and not a mom and pop place so I knew I was going to be charged top dollar for the service going in to it, but I think it was worth it.

It's running great and I'm back on the road!

Hope this little summary helps for anyone looking into getting this done by an official Honda dealer.

It certainly does. Leave your credit card at home or pop a small cork up your arse.