5,000 mile maintenance costs?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Quetzl Jity
Year: 2013
Color: Black

5,000 mile maintenance costs?

Post by Quetzl Jity »

Hi all,

I have done a pretty thorough search of this site and didn't find any information on this subject. If there is a thread for this please direct me to it otherwise...

I am coming up on 5,000 miles on my 2013 PCX 150 and wondered what is involved in the 5,000 mile maintenance (brakes? tires? etc) and how much it would cost to have it done at a dealer? I don't have the time or tools to do it myself and would rather trust it to someone qualified.

I understand a precise cost is not possible, but I'd like to know at least a ballpark figure of what I should expect (so I don't get ripped off). I had the 300 mile maintenance done and have performed the standard oil changes etc since on my own. I take pretty good care of it, although I am hard on the brakes so I imagine brake pads would need replaced.

Anyway, I live in the western suburban Chicago area if this helps. Anyone in the area with advise or recommendations of who I should go with for this maintenance would be great. I bought it at the Honda House of Elmhurst, but they have since closed their doors. I'm guessing Dupage Honda in West Chicago would be where I would take it.

Thanks for your help in advanced!

QJ
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 5,000 mile maintenance costs?

Post by homie »

Quetzl Jity wrote:Hi all, I bought it at the Honda House of Elmhurst, but they have since closed their doors.
It's true, I bought mine there in 2015. It's too bad, that family owned Honda had been there for years and years. Sorry I did my own 5K but maybe someone has a stateside quote for you.
#scootlife
Color: Black

Post by #scootlife »

Wondering the same thing. Anyone know ballpark cost at a dealer?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Quetzl Jity wrote:Hi all,

I have done a pretty thorough search of this site and didn't find any information on this subject. If there is a thread for this please direct me to it otherwise...

I am coming up on 5,000 miles on my 2013 PCX 150 and wondered what is involved in the 5,000 mile maintenance (brakes? tires? etc) and how much it would cost to have it done at a dealer? I don't have the time or tools to do it myself and would rather trust it to someone qualified.

I understand a precise cost is not possible, but I'd like to know at least a ballpark figure of what I should expect (so I don't get ripped off). I had the 300 mile maintenance done and have performed the standard oil changes etc since on my own. I take pretty good care of it, although I am hard on the brakes so I imagine brake pads would need replaced.

Anyway, I live in the western suburban Chicago area if this helps. Anyone in the area with advise or recommendations of who I should go with for this maintenance would be great. I bought it at the Honda House of Elmhurst, but they have since closed their doors. I'm guessing Dupage Honda in West Chicago would be where I would take it.

Thanks for your help in advanced!

QJ

Change the engine and final drive oil. Give the brakes and the rest of the bike a once over.

Ride the bike.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am not certain if this will matter, but here is a copy from my SM of the maintenance schedule for my pcx.
IMG_20170621_153938.jpg
IMG_20170621_153938.jpg (340.01 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

Post by Duke82 »

My 2016 pcx125 esp. just had the 4000 done. Using this base Service cost to predict future costs. Labour for dealer is £70/hour which is included in the price

Service @4000m including new air filter £121

At 5000 Miles new tyres @ £100 a pair fitted.

8000 Service £310 Inc valve clearance.& Spark plug air filter front and rear brakes.

10000 new tyres @ £100 fitted

12000 belt and rollers, air filter Service £270

Petrol 140-150 UK mpg
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by Carl »

Check out my owners blog. I'm just about to go over 15k and all my costs are logged.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Any possibility of cutting and pasting a link?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I was just about to ask the same question George :P Carl, a link to "your blog" would be a good start :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Sorry the link should have been on the 'my' bit of my post..

Here is the link:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5725
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Duke82 wrote:My 2016 pcx125 esp. just had the 4000 done. Using this base Service cost to predict future costs. Labour for dealer is £70/hour which is included in the price

Service @4000m including new air filter £121

At 5000 Miles new tyres @ £100 a pair fitted.

8000 Service £310 Inc valve clearance.& Spark plug air filter front and rear brakes.

10000 new tyres @ £100 fitted

12000 belt and rollers, air filter Service £270

Petrol 140-150 UK mpg

Not bad prices and MPG tbh.

Mind you I've got over 5,000 miles with £0 for servicing and tyres.

Oil changes only and I already have the oil.

Oh, I bought sliders, screen, seat cover and some tat...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

At 5000 miles service, Honda Thailand just changed my scoot's engine oil for 3$. Done in 5 minutes.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:At 5000 miles service, Honda Thailand just changed my scoot's engine oil for 3$. Done in 5 minutes.

:lol: no preventive maintenance from them. Don't fix it until it breaks I guess.
molesy4
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by molesy4 »

Bristol prices for 125 pcx service is about £90.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

My personal opinion is that Honda are "very kind" to dealers with their maintenance schedule.

I did mine, and found that a lot of it just didn't need doing. I change the oil every 4,000km anyway, but why would a spark plug need to be changed after 8,000km when they do 100,000+km in a car? (mine is still going strong on the bike at 31,200km). I did take the strainer out - spotless - haven't bothered since. Not sure how someone could wear out a set of brake pads in 8,000km - I'm still on my original set and aren't particularly close to the wear limit indicators. Sought expert opinion on checking valve clearance every 4,000km - conclusion was that it just wasn't necessary in a low-revving engine like that (had it done the once at 4,000 and not since) (it's such a pig of a thing to get at apparently). Many other things you can check (breathers, fuel line, lights, throttle etc) but they should all be just fine.

If I'd done all the things that were supposed to be done when they were supposed to be done - and by a dealer - then in a couple of years (I ride about 14,000km a year on the PCX) then I think I'd be at about 50% the cost I paid for the bike. As it stands my bike only gets oil changes every 4,000km - new air cleaner every 30,000km - and hasn't needed any other parts - and goes absolutely fine. I really do think they're severely over-serviced by following Honda's schedule.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:My personal opinion is that Honda are "very kind" to dealers with their maintenance schedule.

I did mine, and found that a lot of it just didn't need doing. I change the oil every 4,000km anyway, but why would a spark plug need to be changed after 8,000km when they do 100,000+km in a car? (mine is still going strong on the bike at 31,200km). I did take the strainer out - spotless - haven't bothered since. Not sure how someone could wear out a set of brake pads in 8,000km - I'm still on my original set and aren't particularly close to the wear limit indicators. Sought expert opinion on checking valve clearance every 4,000km - conclusion was that it just wasn't necessary in a low-revving engine like that (had it done the once at 4,000 and not since) (it's such a pig of a thing to get at apparently). Many other things you can check (breathers, fuel line, lights, throttle etc) but they should all be just fine.

If I'd done all the things that were supposed to be done when they were supposed to be done - and by a dealer - then in a couple of years (I ride about 14,000km a year on the PCX) then I think I'd be at about 50% the cost I paid for the bike. As it stands my bike only gets oil changes every 4,000km - new air cleaner every 30,000km - and hasn't needed any other parts - and goes absolutely fine. I really do think they're severely over-serviced by following Honda's schedule.
Exactly.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

My personal opinion is that Honda are "very kind" to dealers with their maintenance schedule.

Ever heard the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? :D

Doing regular scheduled oil changes, gear oil changes, air filter changes, perhaps fuel filter changes if there's a problem, spark plug replacement, occasional brake pad inspection on front disc, rear brake inspection when tires get changed, add ethanol fuel treatment (Startron) occasionally, check coolant level occasionally, and checking the rear brake cable adjustment and front brake fluid level every now and then, is a maintenance plan that I'm going to subscribe to. That being said, if the valves start to sound "more noisy" or "less noisy" and there is a change in performance, then I'll pull the panels and check the valve clearance. :geek:

I've got an old Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower that has to be easily over 30 years old. I've literally had to find new ways to keep things attached on the mowing deck it's so old. Belts have been replaced when they broke. . .. It always starts and it runs until I shut it off. It's just a big 4-stroke single and the oil level has always been maintained and changed when I got around to it (not always to schedule), air filter was changed or cleaned a few times, treatment always added to fuel, and I replace the starting battery only when it won't hold a quick charge long enough to start it. That motor is awesome. Cast iron sleeve. THE VALVES HAVE NEVER BEEN ADJUSTED ONCE. :o

So I'm not saying the PCX motor is like the lawn mower motor. . .just that "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to their own. . .I'm not recommending my method of maintenance. . .just sayin! 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Ever heard the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? :D

Doing regular scheduled oil changes, gear oil changes, air filter changes, perhaps fuel filter changes if there's a problem, spark plug replacement, occasional brake pad inspection on front disc, rear brake inspection when tires get changed, add ethanol fuel treatment (Startron) occasionally, check coolant level occasionally, and checking the rear brake cable adjustment and front brake fluid level every now and then, is a maintenance plan that I'm going to subscribe to. That being said, if the valves start to sound "more noisy" or "less noisy" and there is a change in performance, then I'll pull the panels and check the valve clearance. :geek:

I've got an old Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower that has to be easily over 30 years old. I've literally had to find new ways to keep things attached on the mowing deck it's so old. Belts have been replaced when they broke. . .. It always starts and it runs until I shut it off. It's just a big 4-stroke single and the oil level has always been maintained and changed when I got around to it (not always to schedule), air filter was changed or cleaned a few times, treatment always added to fuel, and I replace the starting battery only when it won't hold a quick charge long enough to start it. That motor is awesome. Cast iron sleeve. THE VALVES HAVE NEVER BEEN ADJUSTED ONCE. :o

So I'm not saying the PCX motor is like the lawn mower motor. . .just that "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to their own. . .I'm not recommending my method of maintenance. . .just sayin! 8)
I think it comes down to reliability -v- cost; the drive belt is probably a good example ... if people change it when Honda recommend (24,000km is it?) then they're never going to have a drive belt problem whereas my way (change it when it tells me it needs to be changed) then there's a risk that it might break, but the "up side" is that it's already gone well past 24,000km and who knows, might do 48,000km or more - and if it does then that's money saved. Same goes for a lot of parts on the bike. The person who has everything done on time is unlikely to ever have a breakdown ... but they'll be paying a LOT of money to ensure that. I'm betting that I'll pick up on most things before anything catastrophic happens, and will save a bundle doing what I can myself.

I am fanatical about rear brake cable adjustment though - I check mine about 50 times a DAY ;)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think it comes down to reliability -v- cost; the drive belt is probably a good example ... if people change it when Honda recommend (24,000km is it?) then they're never going to have a drive belt problem whereas my way (change it when it tells me it needs to be changed) then there's a risk that it might break, but the "up side" is that it's already gone well past 24,000km and who knows, might do 48,000km or more - and if it does then that's money saved. Same goes for a lot of parts on the bike. The person who has everything done on time is unlikely to ever have a breakdown ... but they'll be paying a LOT of money to ensure that. I'm betting that I'll pick up on most things before anything catastrophic happens, and will save a bundle doing what I can myself.

I am fanatical about rear brake cable adjustment though - I check mine about 50 times a DAY ;)
Yeah. . .I knew I missed a few things on the list and drive belt and rollers were a couple. Those I'd do at the recommended mileage (plus maybe a little more but not much more). It gets into rollers vs sliders and all that and how many grams etc... . I'll deal with that later but will keep the OEM Variator for sure. I've got the variator and clutch holding tool so am going to make good use of it with my new impact wrench. The 2017 U.K. owners manual calls for oil changes at every 4000 miles and valve checks. The 2017 U.S. version is every 2500 miles. Awkward explaining that. . .. :roll:

My Genuine Roughhouse is almost at 5000 miles. I'm going to pull the CVT cover on that after Labor Day to check the rollers and drive belt condition and clean out any dust. I think the rollers are a little sluggish. It gets the top end speed but takes too long getting there. . .especially after the motor heats up a bit. Anyhow. . .I digress. :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Yeah. . .I knew I missed a few things on the list and drive belt and rollers were a couple. Those I'd do at the recommended mileage (plus maybe a little more but not much more). It gets into rollers vs sliders and all that and how many grams etc... . I'll deal with that later but will keep the OEM Variator for sure. I've got the variator and clutch holding tool so am going to make good use of it with my new impact wrench. The 2017 U.K. owners manual calls for oil changes at every 4000 miles and valve checks. The 2017 U.S. version is every 2500 miles. Awkward explaining that. . .. :roll:
I've got a new belt and clutch plates on standby - will deal with rollers when the time comes. I'm quite happy with the stock variator too; I read about various changes that people make, but I'm struggling to believe that Honda haven't already got the most efficient design for their engine therefore there's likely to be a trade-off in any mod that gives faster acceleration & higher top-end speed and that trade-off is likely to be engine life - not something I'm prepared to compromise (and frankly there's just nothing in the existing design that I'm in any way unhappy with).

The whole maintenance thing is a risk-management exercise as far as I'm concerned. At this stage I'm far enough ahead on savings to think that even if I do have to get it brought back home on the back of a truck I'm still well ahead price-wise.