i hate dirty oiil

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

i hate dirty oiil

Post by eggman »

i change my oil like every 5 hundred miles and its always dirty i use mobile one
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: i hate dirty oiil

Post by alx123 »

I read somewhere that not using the scoot might leave the oil clean and flawless. Maybe worth a try?

Also, changing oil as often as you can will be very environmentaly friendly as the world's oil supply is depending on the not so dirty used oil for replenishing reserves underground, just dump them anywhere there's soil or much better a body of water.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

wots oiil?
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

A very clever way to increase running costs five-fold.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

It's normal to see the oil became dirty no matter after 200 miles or 2000 miles.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

eggman wrote:i change my oil like every 5 hundred miles and its always dirty i use mobile one
It's supposed to be dirty. That means it's doing its job and keeping all of the crud off of your engine parts. (I'd rather have a clean engine with dirty oil than a sludged & varnished engine with clean oil.)
Mobil 1 has all of the additives to handle the crud your engine generates for extended drain intervals.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Send a sample in to Blackstone Labs. For about $20 they'll tell you tons about your oil and engine status. It'll save you money given your concerns.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:Send a sample in to Blackstone Labs. For about $20 they'll tell you tons about your oil and engine status. It'll save you money given your concerns.

I might do that one day, just curious what's in the oil at the end of its use.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gauss80
Year: 2013 125 Esp

Post by gauss80 »

whow changing it every 500 miles seems quite excessive and not at all environmental friendly ... I have also just recently bought that oil the 0W40 new life mobil 1 ( not yet used) but I am not planning to change it with such short intervals....I have actually red posts on Italian forum that this oil should last for 12k km without problems

G
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125/2012/gauss/535318 Image[/URL]
RPM68
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by RPM68 »

I change the motor oil in my scooters once a year and the final drive every other. The mileage never warrants a change. I've always been concerned about the oil and additives breaking down over that time span and not providing the desired protection. I understand that I need to ride more to increase the mileage!

Bob
Living the Dream!

2016 PCX150 in Matte Silver
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Bonehead move, but it’s your money....in modern engines, the oil goes dark almost immediately
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

Eiron wrote:
eggman wrote:i change my oil like every 5 hundred miles and its always dirty i use mobile one
It's supposed to be dirty. That means it's doing its job and keeping all of the crud off of your engine parts. (I'd rather have a clean engine with dirty oil than a sludged & varnished engine with clean oil.)
Mobil 1 has all of the additives to handle the crud your engine generates for extended drain intervals.
Sort of. The tint that gives oil color after initial mileage is microscopic wear from metal, and (I'll see if I can find the article) attributes to the measured / proven fact (at least the article says) that motor oil actually has its best lubrication / friction reducing property mid-way thru its life cycle in the engine. That assumes "life" is the normal recommended change interval. So according to these tests, oil with 500-1,500 miles is actually operating at its prime.

I have no way of knowing how legit that article was ..... it was from a racing magazine.

I do wish there were an after-market adaptor for an oil filter available for the PCX to trap the non-microscopic contaminates - that screen will capture a chunk but thats about it. Does anybody know of such a thing ?.
WI_Hedgehog
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

$9: Nexlevl Extreme Power Round Base Neodymium Magnets - 88lb+ Holding Force - 1.26" Diameter - 2 Industrial Strength Rare Earth Magnets
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BN7QFX4/

$30: 12 Count Super Value Pack CMS Magnetics Neodymium Cup Magnets with 88 LBS Pull Capacity Each - Dia 1.26"
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRT31RM/

I have both sets. Simply stick a cup magnet to the oil filter, preferably the flat end opposite where you screw it in, and you're set. Pull it off at the next oil change, they're reusable.

This will skew your oil analysis, but whatever, it extends the engine life.

NOTE: Aluminum and copper are non-ferromagnetic, meaning those particles won't be attracted to the magnet.

Do oil filter magnets work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcMBbop_11k

How FilterMag Works Oil Filter Magnet Metal Prevention Engine Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1y3qhopc4
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Anyone have any proof whatsoever that an owner that changes their oil, even semi-synth every 5000 miles is doing harm to the engine above those using fully synth and changing half that interval. Real life not 'paid for' university studies.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Anyone have any proof whatsoever that an owner that changes their oil, even semi-synth every 5000 miles is doing harm to the engine above those using fully synth and changing half that interval. Real life not 'paid for' university studies.

There's no proof for anything. Everything is anecdotal, that's why these threads run and run throughout the internet.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sometimes we just need som'em to do.

Hey there's a good reason to touch and feel your bikes now and then. Find problems with fasteners, check lights, worn cabling, punctures in tires/tyres/terrs etc... do it! And find some time for your woman or she might let you down too.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Sometimes we just need som'em to do.

Hey there's a good reason to touch and feel your bikes now and then. Find problems with fasteners, check lights, worn cabling, punctures in tires/tyres/terrs etc... do it! And find some time for your woman or she might let you down too.
Something you need to share..? :lol:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I stick to the 5k miles interval that Honda requires. I'm sure they did their homework, they better as their name's on the bike, lol.
It also saves me money on maintenance.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote:Anyone have any proof whatsoever that an owner that changes their oil, even semi-synth every 5000 miles is doing harm to the engine above those using fully synth and changing half that interval. Real life not 'paid for' university studies.
I did Used Oil Analysis (UOA) on my 1990 Saab for several years, trying different viscosities of Mobil 1 synthetic and different filters. I even opened up the filters to see how well they were constructed and what kind of debris they trapped.

Because I was using a Group IV synthetic and my engine "used" 25% of its oil capacity every 5,000 miles, I learned via UOA that I could dramatically extend the Oil Change Intervals (OCI) beyond the manufacturer's recommendations. The constant replenishing of oil to the crankcase had a hugely beneficial effect on the overall oil quality.

I eventually settled on filter changes every 10,000 miles (50% oil replenished by that point), and full oil & filter changes every 20,000 miles (100% oil replenished by that point). I started the UOA analysis when the car had around 150,000 miles on it, and it was probably around 200,000 miles when I settled on my 20k mi OCIs. That car is still being used as a daily driver by my son, and it has over 320,000 miles on the original engine and transmission (no rebuilds of any kind).

I know this is not a direct application for our PCXs, but I'm definitely using my personal experience (with that car and others I've tracked with UOA) for how I maintain my "groovy little motorbike." :ugeek: :D
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:Nexlevl Extreme Power Round Base Neodymium Magnets
CMS Magnetics Neodymium Cup Magnets

I have both sets. Simply stick a cup magnet to the oil filter, preferably the flat end opposite where you screw it in, and you're set. Pull it off at the next oil change, they're reusable.

This will skew your oil analysis, but whatever, it extends the engine life.
Have you found any debris collected on the inside of the crankcase by these magnets?
And have you run UOA both without and with using these magnets to see how it skews the results?

I tried this approach on the outside of the oil filters for my car (because I was extending the OCI by 4X over the manufacturer's recommendation), but when I cut open the filters (with the magnets still attached) I found nothing collected on the inside of the can.