i hate dirty oiil

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: i hate dirty oiil

Post by you you »

Eiron wrote:
WI_Hedgehog wrote:Nexlevl Extreme Power Round Base Neodymium Magnets
CMS Magnetics Neodymium Cup Magnets

I have both sets. Simply stick a cup magnet to the oil filter, preferably the flat end opposite where you screw it in, and you're set. Pull it off at the next oil change, they're reusable.

This will skew your oil analysis, but whatever, it extends the engine life.
Have you found any debris collected on the inside of the crankcase by these magnets?
And have you run UOA both without and with using these magnets to see how it skews the results?

I tried this approach on the outside of the oil filters for my car (because I was extending the OCI by 4X over the manufacturer's recommendation), but when I cut open the filters (with the magnets still attached) I found nothing collected on the inside of the can.

After the run in period magnets attract very little and what they do will be caught by the paper filter. The main wearing items are non magnetic.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

springer1 wrote:The tint that gives oil color after initial mileage is microscopic wear from metal ...
That's not been my experience from years of UOAs tracking multiple vehicles that I've owned. My wear metals have historically been extremely low, but the lab routinely comments on the amount of combustion by-products foiling their attempts to get quantifiable dirt measurements.
... and (I'll see if I can find the article) attributes to the measured / proven fact (at least the article says) that motor oil actually has its best lubrication / friction reducing property mid-way thru its life cycle in the engine. That assumes "life" is the normal recommended change interval. So according to these tests, oil with 500-1,500 miles is actually operating at its prime.
There is some evidence that motor oils are designed to improve in lubricity at some point in their life, and (from what I've read) it's generally accepted that it's a function of polymer chain shearing prior to contamination buildup. Of course, "oil life" is not determined by the manufacturer's recommendation, but by oil type and construction, engine design, and user/operating conditions.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

you you wrote:After the run in period magnets attract very little and what they do will be caught by the paper filter. The main wearing items are non magnetic.
Agreed. o_O
Also, these were located prior to the paper media and still captured nothing. Obviously, engine wear is not the same as transmission wear (with their magnetic drain plugs).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Magnets... Hmmm.
Two things...
1: The debris can form a clump and break off from the magnet ending up lodged who knows where
2: Not all of the engine components are ferric
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Eiron wrote:
you you wrote:After the run in period magnets attract very little and what they do will be caught by the paper filter. The main wearing items are non magnetic.
Agreed. o_O
Also, these were located prior to the paper media and still captured nothing. Obviously, engine wear is not the same as transmission wear (with their magnetic drain plugs).
So, does someone know of an adaptor or way to replace the PCX oil screen with an oil filter ? Thanks
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Wow… Reading this and other oil threads here, you would get the opinion that if the oil is dirty the engine is going to blow up. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. These little scooters are used in 250 countries and most of them don’t ever get the oil changed and run low oil. And they still run fine. This Engine is not and stressed at all using a variator, just change the oil on a regular basis -every six months to a year -and you’ll be fine. No need to add filters, magnets or any other add ons.......

It’s just a simple fact that owners love to screw with oil… It’s one of the things that everybody can mess with.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI