Using non ethanol? A improvement?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Using non ethanol? A improvement?

Post by Jge64 »

I can't decide. A newgas station opened up very close to me, that has non-ethanol. I am on my third tank of non-ethanol 87, and I swear it's faster doing a 20 mph roll on… Is it my imagination or is anybody else seeing this too?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Using non ethanol? A improvement?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I can't decide. A newgas station opened up very close to me, that has non-ethanol. I am on my third tank of non-ethanol 87, and I swear it's faster doing a 20 mph roll on… Is it my imagination or is anybody else seeing this too?
I cant see you from here.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not sure if 13 percent alcohol will affect power that significantly,however you can expect a little better fuel economy.Unfortunately on a scooter the difference will negligible.Alcohol based fuels tend to be a good cleaner and will tend to keep your fuel system cleaner.The downside is typically seen in marine environment where water is absorbed and makes engines run poorly .Additionally,older gas tanks that contain krud will be cleaned by the alcohol.This krud ends up in carburetor passages and elsewhere creating major problems and mechanical disassembly to clean out those plugged up orifices etc
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen since you brought the topic up, I thought I'd add this website:
http://pure-gas.org

I'd like to try a tankful myself.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I'm keeping that site WN
Right now the nearest is Bloomington Illinois but maybe someday.

I don't recommend Seafoam to clean out the corn cobs but a lot of Harley owners use it now and then. The only time I used it was just before I tore down for a top end rebuild to clean out the fuel tank and pump. I also used it for a few miles in the crankcase with the oil just before dumping and flushing. I wouldn't leave it in for long as its powerful cleaning agents have been known to bring on issues you normally wouldn't have if not loosening up crude on high mileage vehicles. Be careful using these stations on high mileage vehicles, maybe sneak up on it with half and half for while before going pure gas.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

just dont add a can of creamed corn to tank
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Can of un-creamed ok? I got some! Check those expiry dates! :lol:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have found that IF you can find a station that has regular unleaded without any ethanol, your bike will run a bit smoother, and you will probably get a few mpg better, but as was pointed out previously, you really won't notice it that much on a scooter. I run the ethanol blend because I have to...the closest station without ethanol blends is out in the 'country'. So, ever so often I use Seafoam to clean up the 'system'. My bike thanks me. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have found that IF you can find a station that has regular unleaded without any ethanol, your bike will run a bit smoother, and you will probably get a few mpg better, but as was pointed out previously, you really won't notice it that much on a scooter. I run the ethanol blend because I have to...the closest station without ethanol blends is out in the 'country'. So, ever so often I use Seafoam to clean up the 'system'. My bike thanks me. :-)
Doesn't seafoam contain ethanol?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

you you wrote: Doesn't seafoam contain ethanol?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Reading Seafoam:
Contains: Pet. Distillate, Pet. Oil, and Propanol
Attachments
20170530_141250-288x512.jpg
20170530_141250-288x512.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 940 times
20170530_135742-512x288.jpg
20170530_135742-512x288.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 940 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

What are Petroleum Distillates? :roll:
(A PDF copy brought to you by Northern Tails...and me :D )

Petroleum Distillates General Information
• Petroleum distillates is the term commonly used to refer to aliphatic hydrocarbons. Aliphatic hydrocarbons can actually be divided into two groups: petroleum distillates and synthetic paraffinic hydrocarbons. We use petroleum distillates to mean both types of products.
• Petroleum distillates include mineral spirits, kerosene, white spirits, naphtha, and Stoddard solvent. These products may contain trace amounts of benzene and other aromatics.
• When compared to petroleum distillates, the paraffinic hydrocarbons have lower flammability, lower aromatic content, narrower boiling range, and higher solvency. They are also more expensive than the petroleum distillates.
• The petroleum distillates (and paraffinic hydrocarbons) work well on hard-to- clean organic soils such as heavy oil and grease, tar, and waxes.
• These products typically have low liquid surface tensions (22 to 28 dynes/cm). This allows them to penetrate and clean small spaces.
• Petroleum distillates typically operate at near room temperatures. This is due to the flammability of the products. However, the flash points may be higher than that of terpenes.
• Petroleum distillates are usually used in immersion baths.
• Ultrasonics may or may not work, depending on the particular product.
• Petroleum distillates can typically handle high soil loads.
• When the cleaning power of the bath is exhausted, the entire bath usually needs to
be replaced.
• Petroleum distillates are compatible with most materials including most
elastomers. Mineral spirits may not be compatible with EPDM, SBR, and
silicone.
• Petroleum distillates are frequently used in manual wipe-down processes.
• Aliphatic hydrocarbons are often blends containing oxygenated hydrocarbons.
Flash points are higher than that of terpenes and traditional solvents. Lower flash points mean faster drying but more danger of burning.

And, what did I learn from this pray tell? :? Do Not Sniff :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I use Star Tron fuel additive and have never had any problems with it. Ethanol has been a big problem in the boating industry and in general since 2002. Older fuel systems in vintage motorcycles may have parts that ethanol attacks. Check out this video for a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh4Tb5kIZhg
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

I have used Seafoam in carb and FI car and small engines for 40 years. Great cleaner and fuel stabilizer (up to 2 years). Plus it doesn't turn into thick goo like Stabil if left in more than a year.

As previously stated there is definitely a fuel economy boost using non ethanol. In larger engines (read cars) it can yield up to 15% increase in fuel economy.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
WI_Hedgehog