so is this the sound of a bad bearing

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

so is this the sound of a bad bearing

Post by eggman »

pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Re: so is this the sound of a bad bearing

Post by pcx man »

Yes, that sounds like a bad clutch bearings. I had to replace mine 2 times in 18,000 miles.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

is it hard i have replaced clutches and head gaskets on cars and timeing belts but i never worked ona scooter b4
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Multitudes easier than replacing anything of a similar ilk on a car.
You just need 17, 22 & 39mm HEX(!) sockets from memory, I think.
I'm serious on the hex sockets, at least for the 39mm, as the nut is made of thin cheese.
I'm not volunteering anyone, but there might be a certain member in Gainesville that could offer some direction. :P
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

wow i never seen another pcx in this town
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If nothing else , you can take your bike into Cycle Nation of Canton and they can fix it. There are multiple members in Georgia, as well, who could help. However, I don't see this as a problem that you can't solve. If you do it yourself, I believe that there is either a thread on this forum, or else a youtube video, that will show you how to do it. All you need is the time and courage to do it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
markgj
Color: Red

Post by markgj »

pcx man wrote:Yes, that sounds like a bad clutch bearings. I had to replace mine 2 times in 18,000 miles.
Yikes, twice in 18k? Did you do the work yourself?

I just changed the belt and upgraded my variator at about 3500 miles and looked in where these bearings are... the outside bearing (where the clutch bell attaches) is sealed on the outer face, but not inner. The inner bearings around the final drive shaft are roller bearings and it seemed like a lot of the grease was mostly in the center of the assembly. I ended up scooping out as much as I could and packing the thing with Redline CV-2 Red Moly grease. It wasn't making noise beforehand, but I had heard this can be an issue. Many believe it is from improper greasing from the factory. Luckily the assembly isn't expensive, but if you are paying for the work it can be, and even if not, it's a hassle.
2013 PCX150, NCY Variator, drive face, 13g rollers and 2015+ OEM cogged belt. Malossi full exhaust and wing clutch bell.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

markgj wrote:
pcx man wrote:Yes, that sounds like a bad clutch bearings. I had to replace mine 2 times in 18,000 miles.
Yikes, twice in 18k? Did you do the work yourself?

I just changed the belt and upgraded my variator at about 3500 miles and looked in where these bearings are... the outside bearing (where the clutch bell attaches) is sealed on the outer face, but not inner. The inner bearings around the final drive shaft are roller bearings and it seemed like a lot of the grease was mostly in the center of the assembly. I ended up scooping out as much as I could and packing the thing with Redline CV-2 Red Moly grease. It wasn't making noise beforehand, but I had heard this can be an issue. Many believe it is from improper greasing from the factory. Luckily the assembly isn't expensive, but if you are paying for the work it can be, and even if not, it's a hassle.
The whole assembly is 28 bucks if you suspect an issue. There were some bad ones that rolled off the line. To get two of them might be eligible for an award of some sort. I beginning to think some are replacing the faulty bearing assembly themselves but not packing the grease per the SM. Now when you buy the part they send a grease packet :lol: I have the part on hand in case but have not experienced any unusual grinding.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

i have a impact wrench fo i needa pullly holder and spring comprser and dhere do i get them
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

eggman wrote:i have a impact wrench fo i needa pullly holder and spring comprser and dhere do i get them
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope someone can get you set up with the right tool for the job eggman. I haven't pulled that bearing assembly yet... sorry. I have to get on down to Georgia someday, sounds like my kind of town.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

homie wrote:
eggman wrote:i have a impact wrench fo i needa pullly holder and spring comprser and dhere do i get them
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope someone can get you set up with the right tool for the job eggman. I haven't pulled that bearing assembly yet... sorry. I have to get on down to Georgia someday, sounds like my kind of town.
urlucky
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just keep in mind how many pcx riders live in the South. This heat is tough on bikes of any sort, so I have to wonder about bearings with too little grease in them once they are put into this climate. I am sure they will show up early enough that you probably could change them out several times if they haven't been prepped enough before installation.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Mine packed in at 6000 miles and I live in Scotland so ambient temperature seems unlikely. I blame extended idling time for premature failure.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

anyone have a link to a video showning how to replace bearing i ad no luck with search
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If you look at the stats concerning bikes with bad bearings And bikes without that particular problem I think you will find that there are very few pcx scooters that have this problem, and most of the bikes affected were 2013 models. I have a suspicion that a certain batch was bad but were not discovered until after the bikes were in the marketplace . Some of the bearings also ended up in the spares as well, but Honda decided not to recall them. They just have to work their way out of stock, and we get to pay for them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

eggman wrote:anyone have a link to a video showning how to replace bearing i ad no luck with search

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I wonder if you can get the entire clutch pulley assembly. shoes, faces, spring, bearings all of it assembled. That would be a snap to install and what, cost a whole 50 bucks?
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

homie wrote:I wonder if you can get the entire clutch pulley assembly. shoes, faces, spring, bearings all of it assembled. That would be a snap to install and what, cost a whole 50 bucks?
i was thinkin same thing
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Nope there isn't a part # for a complete assembly only the partial one shown within the sectioned area shown. It would have been nice to get everything but the belt as a single unit pre-assembled... booooooooooo
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (169.01 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

ty for the help everyone ps any1 have a link for the tools i will need