New Owner - 2013 PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

brrit
Year: 2013 & 2016
Color: Red & Grey

New Owner - 2013 PCX

Post by brrit »

After researching all the different scooters on the market today, I decided on a Honda PCX 150. Asked my father-in-law if he knew anything about them since I knew he had a scooter, turns out he has a PCX himself. In addition, they are moving and offered it to me for free!

As a result, I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 red PCX with around 5,000 miles on it. Actually, it will be in my possession next month, but still. Pretty excited!

I've been reading the forums for info on the new scooter. I'm interested in adding a Cheeky Seat, LED strips next to the forks, and maybe a top box primarily for my helmet. Seems these are pretty common mods on the scooter.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New Owner - 2013 PCX

Post by homie »

Welcome to the forum!

Here is the owners manual for your generation of PCX in case the in-laws don't provide one.
Years 2011-2013 are going to be very similar if not identical bikes.

Check your private messages for the Service Manual DL but you might have to make 10 or 15 posts before you can receive PM's. So lets chat it up until you can.
Sorry about that... forum rules :lol:

You are due for a 5K tune up
Attachments
honda-pcx-150-owners-manual.pdf
(3.49 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
brrit

Post by brrit »

Got it!

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I figured I might just take it to the dealer to get a look over.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

brrit wrote:Got it!

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I figured I might just take it to the dealer to get a look over.
Well you could inquire if the maintenance has been kept up like the valve clearance check. Or you could use the SM I PMed you to follow something like my youtube 5K inspection. I don't know the extent of your mechanical skills and patients for such things. No shame if you just take to dealer and expect to pay 300+ for service. And don't forget to subscribe :D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wokgYeAxFP
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So your father-in-law put 5,000 miles on it but didn't improve it by way of seat or tail box? I'm surprised. The big advantage of a scooter is storage, and the more the merrier. Hopefully he did add a taller windshield than it normally comes with. I have a little over 5k on my bike and it is set up for comfortable riding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good luck with your PCX 150! That was a deal you couldn't refuse. . .. ;)

If you could find out what maintenance has been done on it so far then you can make an informed decision on how to plan your own maintenance IAW the Honda Owners Manual and Service Manual requirements. This forum and it's contributors are a great resource of information with "How to" videos and many suggestions.

I just bought a left-over 2017 and ordered the Service Manual for it. When I was looking at what the dealer had "in stock" there was also a used 2013 with just over 8,000 miles on it for $2K. It had a windshield on it and a trunk mount. . .. The salesman started it up and had it running. . .quiet. . .it was in good shape so the owner must have kept up the required maintenance. Take your time getting used to riding it for a while and learn it's characteristics. You certainly won't be disappointed with the fuel economy. :D
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Wow, what a great bit of good fortune, and you came to the right place. The forum and its members here covers just about everything in the PCX universe from maintenance to modding ..Welcome aboard
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome aboard brrit....you lucky person! You have Great in-laws 8)
I'm very anxious to see the Cheeky Seat (cover) you picked. So please, keep on posting and let us See that "Changed" out freebie PCX. Oh, and which top box are you considering?
My way of saying, we loves photo's, so bring em on! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
brrit

Post by brrit »

The YouTube channel is a great resource! Thanks for sharing. I might be able to do a lot more with the scooter with those on hand.

[/quote] Well you could inquire if the maintenance has been kept up like the valve clearance check. Or you could use the SM I PMed you to follow something like my youtube 5K inspection. I don't know the extent of your mechanical skills and patients for such things. No shame if you just take to dealer and expect to pay 300+ for service. And don't forget to subscribe :D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wokgYeAxFP[/quote]
brrit

Post by brrit »

Mel46 wrote:So your father-in-law put 5,000 miles on it but didn't improve it by way of seat or tail box? I'm surprised. The big advantage of a scooter is storage, and the more the merrier. Hopefully he did add a taller windshield than it normally comes with. I have a little over 5k on my bike and it is set up for comfortable riding.
To be honest, I have yet to see the scooter. So, it is possible those mods may be have been done. Crossing fingers. He is pretty particular with his care of vehicles so I'm hoping he has done much of the maintenance.
brrit

Post by brrit »

Homie - what is the tank bag you have on your 2015 in the Youtube video? Also, what helmet is that in the video at the train station (it is like a matte black)?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

brrit wrote:Homie - what is the tank bag you have on your 2015 in the Youtube video? Also, what helmet is that in the video at the train station (it is like a matte black)?
Tank bag is a discontinued MARSEE sorry. Helmet is the awesome looking but ONLY 40.00 WOW in matt black & mirror visor.

https://www.amazon.com/WOW-Motorcycle-S ... K0R834PKK3
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

The helmet is actually cheaper on ebay now...

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=380828993325&&&chn=ps
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

grndslm wrote:The helmet is actually cheaper on ebay now...

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=380828993325&&&chn=ps
Silly price, I will say if there is a weak point in the full face helmet it's the rubber nose deflection piece. I have a bad habit of carrying my full face helmets from the chin (hand through the visor area) which you shouldn't do anyway. But I managed to loosen one side of the nose piece on one of the WOW helmets I own. Great around town scooter helmet for an excellent price but will ride up over 60-70 mph, so not for street bikes and expressways. Does have the modern quick release clasp and will fit absolutely perfect under the seat of LED PCX. Let me know how it fits in the luggage box on earlier models.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

homie wrote:Does have the modern quick release clasp and will fit absolutely perfect under the seat of LED PCX. Let me know how it fits in the luggage box on earlier models.
It fits my 2013 just fine.

The quick release clasp is very sweet. First helmet I've owned that has it. The others were all purchased at thrift stores for $5 to $10. This helmet is DEFINITELY worth $50 for sure. Great suggestion, homie!
markgj
Color: Red

Post by markgj »

I also am a new owner of a 2013... for the cheeky seats cover - awesome covers. They made me one slightly modified design from their standard PCX covers for not too much extra and I love it. The only thing is I think the stitching will need some sealant applied on the underside. In a heavy rain is seems as some water got into the padding sewn into the cover with such thick stitching. Otherwise the workmanship is superb and looks and fits great. I'll just run some thin silicone sealer under the stitching and I'm sure that will be fine. The seat is MUCH better without the hump. However, be aware that there's still some plastic mounting points for the hump built into the seat pan. You may still feel those slightly. I plan on dremel cutting them out from under and securing a tad more seat foam in that area.
2013 PCX150, NCY Variator, drive face, 13g rollers and 2015+ OEM cogged belt. Malossi full exhaust and wing clutch bell.
brrit

Post by brrit »

Picked up the scooter yesterday. She is in great shape, which is a relief.

My father-in-law didn't make any mods on the bike from what I can tell. The hump on the seat is there still even.

Curious, what is the benefit of a large windshield? I see lots of folks riding with one, but I'm not exactly sure of the benefits of having one other than avoiding bugs. What am I missing?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

brrit wrote: Curious, what is the benefit of a large windshield? I see lots of folks riding with one, but I'm not exactly sure of the benefits of having one other than avoiding bugs. What am I missing?
GREAT story and happy riding! I don't bother with a tall windscreen but many in here must have the sail. If you wear a helmet then whats the point but some states don't make you so to keep the bugs out of your teeth or if you ride all weather the tall shield seems practical. Just looking at one without owning it there is no doubt these things must have a dramatic effect on air flow and dynamics. I will always vote no on tall screens (not a sailor) and just wear my helmet.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I added the Givi tall windshield shield to both of our bikes (my wife and I both have 2013 PCX 150s). The big advantage is wind while you are riding, in that the wind is deflected around you instead of hitting your chest and causing you to have to hang on tighter. Yes, there is the disadvantage of it acting like a sail when you are on the freeway, especially if you are close to a semi, but I wouldn't take mine on the freeway any more than I had to. They are just too light weight, even though we have taken them for short runs between two exits.
Another advantage of the tall windshield is when it starts raining. If you are moving along the rain will deflected...most of it, anyway. ...and then there are really the bugs. Anybody who has ridden knows about those when you are moving down the road at a comfortable speed. They could knock you off of your bike if they hit you hard Enough! Ugh!
Several members bought the mid high windshield, but I think those are ineffective. We bought one of those before moving up to the tall windshield, but ended up pulling it and just going with the tall one. Much more protection.
Now, on to the seat. If you decide to de-hump your very uncomfortable seat, remember to remove the plastic underside where the butt brace (hump) goes into the seat. Even without the hump it is hard there. Others have been quite successful modding their seats that way and then purchasing the Cheeky Seats cover. They have one especially for the de-humped seat.
...and if you keep your PCX for any length of time you will eventually want to change those shocks to adjustable ones. They make riding so much more comfortable.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/
Your pcx candy store!! (Yours is version 2). If you use the Chrome browser it will translate for you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150