Winter comes early on a PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Winter comes early on a PCX

Post by vito »

I used to continue to ride my motorcycle each year until the temps dropped below 32. Then for a few years my lower limit was 40, which I still adhere to if the sun is out and there's not too much wind. But as for riding my PCX150, without a fairing or windscreen, I think 60 is about as cold as I want it to be and still ride. Yesterday when it was in the low 50's I went for a nice ride on my Goldwing. I turned on the heated seat and grips, and with the windscreen protecting me, the ride was great. Today I took the PCX out for a spin, and the temp was about 60. I wore a heavy jacket, full face helmet, and fairly thick gloves. I was out for about 45 minutes and decided that I had had enough. I love this scooter, but cold weather riding is not its strong suit.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Winter comes early on a PCX

Post by riding@100mpg »

after installing a givi tall windshield and hand guards, I put a battery under the seat for my heated jacket and gloves, worked very well but you got me with the gold wing. you're right, put it away and enjoy next year.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a tall Givi windshield on mine and because it is a 2013 model I added something to block the opening where the turn signal stalks are, which helps protect my upper leg area. I take them off during the summer months. However, I no longer ride in the winter, because of the wind.
So, you are probably right about temperature limits on a PCX, though I suspect that those who live in the UK and Europe will disagree. Many of them ride all year.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

In the old days, I would ride my snowmobile in temps as low as -40 (that's 40 below zero, F or C), but we would dress appropriately, as any bare skin would get frostbitten within minutes.

As for my PCX, I have driven in temps as low as 40F (5C) but only for short distances/durations.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Vaguely remember being on a sled at -40F Uranium City Sask.
Now a days +60F on my PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I kind of remember being in the Antarctic too, but that was over 40 years ago. I wouldn't even consider going there now. On a good day it was -40° F. Add the helicopter blades spinning up and you could freeze instantly if you got wet.

Nope, I won't do it any more. I am just glad for nice days now. Today it was 73 out. Tonight, 67 and rain. Not storms. Just nice quiet rain. It will end in the morning.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I still ride all year but try not to get road salt on my machines (although when it gets like powder the wind moves it around). So I won't ride on the roads until they are plowed clean.

If it's above freezing I'll ride but usually no earlier than 9:00AM or later than 4:00PM so as to avoid "black ice". Residual melt that refreezes or puddle splash presents a challenge also . . .. That said I do prefer 40 degrees F. and up but will ride in the 30's.

At this point I use my Zuma 125 for Winter since it's got a nice windscreen and adequate brush guards (solid, no holes in them). For around town it does the job but I wouldn't take it out of town when it's really cold. :D

The coldest time I ever rode (never forget it and ask myself all the time "What was I thinking?") it was about 5 degrees F. and I took my Triumph 250 Trophy back to College after a weekend home. I wore two Winter jackets and two pairs of jeans and stuffed newspapers inside the legs, arms, and chest. I wore a scarf and gloves inside mittens. I had a Shoei polycarb helmet with a full face shield. When I was almost back at the dorm I stopped at a Shell station to "top off" the tank. The hose for the gas pump was really stiff so I had to be careful with it. The trip took almost an hour and after that I swore I'd never do it again. That said I did feel it was an accomplishment . . . a triumph of the will so to speak . . . but in a good way. I never felt I had to prove myself again to see how cold it would get before I'd call it quits. And, more importantly, it helped prepare me for my trip out west with my college motorcycle club. I had moved on to a used, but in excellent shape, '73 Yamaha TX 650. At the summit of Pikes Peak we encountered ice/sleet pellets (which was rain back in Colorado Springs) and that storm front followed us all the way back to Connecticut for 4 days. Talk about focus! :roll:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

the zuma is my winter machine also there not expensive bikes so if it gets salted and rusts i can always replace it. If its above 30F and the roads are dry ill ride but i might make short trips
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

There ARE limits: temperature and water.

I cover 1/2 the radiator in winter with a metal shield, which forces the motor running temperature closer to 195 F. If you run a motorcycle or scooter with a wide open cooling system (no thermostat) it will run VERY COLD and You will lose 8 - 12 mpg. Obviously you use 10 W 30 oil, perhaps synthetic. Next I might put on thermal underwear, and I would consider the newer lithium ion heated gloves with rechargeable batteries. The batteries are contained in the gloves and will last quite a while on lower settings.
NeroM
Year: 2015

Post by NeroM »

39 F is about my limit.
Even with appropriate clothing,
Much cooler isn't as much fun.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Regular clothes with TWO PAIR of thermal underwear underneath.... a hoodie and down jacket, balaclava, and thinsulate gloves... And I can ride in just about any weather.

Add the Frogg Toggs Pilot suit + insulated co-pilot jacket + I'm ready rain or shine. Only takes a few extra minutes of preparation in the morning, but since I work outside... The bike prepares me for the worst possible scenario. I subtract 10 degrees F from the temp to get what it feels like to me with wind-chill.