PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

Post by easyrider »

easyrider wrote:I'm guessing that this a common issue on the PCX and I am betting its the rollers. When in float condition I think the rollers tend to vibrate, or relax as opposed when on accel or decel they tend to work and are under a load. It would be interesting to see if anyone has that buzzing / rattle sound with rollers other than HONDA . I bet that if changed to Sliders that noise would change or disappear completely. Curious to hear from anyone with sliders that have that noise ??
In addition its seems to me this vibration/ buzzing occurs when coming off a float condition then to acceleration vice versa which in turn causes an oscillation to take place in the drive belt. This oscillation (shaking effect) causes a rattle in the clutch or variator weights . I think the problem lies in the driveline not in a any of those little springs aforementioned.
Mysanity
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Mysanity »

KonyaB wrote:Hello Everyone,

I think this topic will have a longer life than just this, as my PCX is buzzing/rattling aswell. To be honest first i thought it's just only me being so unlucky, but in a way i'm glad it's a common problem.

My rattling is definitely coming from under me, from either the engine compartment or the clutch, i'm not so sure. It's exactly the sound that has been shared with us on page 3 (i believe it was that page). I haven't contacted the dealer, but after this i definitely will.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing too serious, the bike works as it should, but if you hear this noise you can tell it's not supposed to be there in a 2015 made engine.

Has anyone else got this problem fixed? I'm no expert (yet :P ) in engines, but i'm sure it's not in the front. It sounds like something's loosen or something.

I will contact my dealer, i still have 2 years of warranty, i EXPECT THEM to fix this. I will also try to do the best i can with Honda, eventhough there's little chance they'll get back to me, but they must have known about this already.

Cheers,
Ben

Hello,

My 2015 PCX 150 with 100 miles has this same sound. I've noticed it is coming from the right rear wheel area at speeds of 20-30 mph during acceleration only. One interesting thing I found is that it only happens when I have a passenger on back. I rode it several times this past weekend both by myself and also with a passenger. It would only happen with the added weight of a passenger. The scooter runs great and I'm debating on taking it to the dealer. Waiting to hear if others have figured out if it is really a problem or just a normal noise.

Thanks,
Steve
syahrul37

Post by syahrul37 »

Is there any possibility that the rattling sound comes from the roller? My bike have the same problem since 100miles and been 5 times to the SC and even sent back to Honda factory. But they don't seems to identify the problem. They even mentioned that there is nothing heard and the bike is performing smoothly. :x

Now maybe I have to sent it to normal bike workshop to check if they can identify the problem. Anyone has solved this please help..Thank you.
roger44
Color: BLACK

Post by roger44 »

I get a high pitch whine on overrun when slowing down, sounds like a turbo wastegate. really cool
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

Looks like mine has this issue. Very annoying and seems worse between 0-20% throttle to maintain speed. I think its getting worse too. Metalic rattle from under the seat.

Booked in for the 2500 mile service this week and mentioned this to the gay-rage. Assumed it was tight valves but not so sure now. Seems to only happen at certain points in the throttle. Did tell the guy to look into it when booking the service.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Perhaps ignore it. Buzzing is probably never a problem. Plastics bits vibrating?
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

now mine is doing it, here's a vid of it..

Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Mine sounds the same. I think its a normal sound coming from the variator (rollers).You get used to it if you don't dwell on it .
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Add me to the list, mine has started with this noise today. Pulled over and tightened all the nuts on the rear number plate which changed the pitch somewhat.

Going to get some rubber washers, and space out the rear number plate and some foam backing to stick behind the plate for where it contacts the plastic.
aka DrewJW
thunderkat59
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: white

Post by thunderkat59 »

Mine buzz's through the mirrors. Real bad if the bike sits in the sun for while . . . :?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Going to get some stick on rubber feet for the back of the number plate. Should shut it up for me.
aka DrewJW
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

I've driven around 1600 Km's on my 2016 125 PCX now.
And i have the same sound, it has been there since i bought it. I have noticed and thought about it a few times, but didnt really care untill i saw this thread.

Nobody found a solution? It actually makes me a bit sad with this issue.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

I found a guy in Thailand on another forum saying exactly this!

''No engineers at dealers understand the problem. 1 engineer from Thai Honda understood, coz he faces the same problem with his PCX. He explained that since the rear cushion has no Rubber bushings, sometimes its a problem. This is the design of PCX.''

EDITED:
Same guy later replies with this:

''Now Honda says this is standard.
It is not accpetable to me.

This week, I am filing a complaint to "The Office of the Consumer Protection Board" in Lak Si, Bangkok.

Lets hope this flaw gets open in front of the World''
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

''Hi All,

The left shock absorber was changed from 21A something to 28A (Not the size, but the part number on the shock).

After that, the noise just vanished.
also, Honda changed the same under warranty even after 2 years''
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Can you get the number.. What does the engineer mean by cushion.. Seat?? Shock ??
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

easyrider wrote:Can you get the number.. What does the engineer mean by cushion.. Seat?? Shock ??
It's the shocks yeah, he mentions it later down in my other post i quoted.
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: black

Post by mrgizmow »

New member here. Picked up my new 2015 PCX 150f last week (6/11/2016). During my ride home from the dealership I heard the noise. Thought it might be that on a new engine they left the valves a little loose, but then, no noise on deceleration. As mentioned in this thread multiple times, the noise is heard in the 20 >30 mph range. Can't say it is a major annoyance for me, but certainly would rather it not get any louder. At 67 maybe my hearing is not as sensitive. What has me scratching my head right now is dealing with the 'anti-theft' ignition switch/key at night. Yikes. Sure good to have a forum support group. Take care.
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: black

Post by mrgizmow »

Since my scooter only has 85 miles on it and I have plenty of time, decided to do some checking/testing. There have been a number of things mentioned that certainly have the potential of making noise and two were pretty easy for me to check. Removed the license plate frame: http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii30 ... 6743040079 Then went to see what I could do to the centerstand pivot washer:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii30 ... 3040079The gap between the washer and engine/drivetrain housing had some very obvious signs of metal to metal contact even though the wash was under no pressure to contact both cotter pin and case at the same time (see pencil pointing to gap). I took a small section of spring:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii30 ... 3040079and slid it over the pivot shaft. This then forced the washer against the cotter pin and eliminated any vibration potential. Now for a test drive. Well sadly, once I hit 25 mph, the sound could be heard. Certainly both the license plate bracket and the washer have noise making potential, but for me, they have been ruled out as the source of the 'mystery sound'. Take care. Gerry
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

they used to call single cylinder bikes thumpers
harmonic stuff going on
one cylinder no harmonics
inline 6 or 8 or any v engine if vibration or buzzing causes an concern
but the PCX is a single clyinder you might have to except that