PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hi guys,

Hope theres a simple answer to this but here goes!

I've noticed that my bike makes buzzing sound around 20-30mph and only when i hold the throttle to maintain the speed, its definitely the bike making this sound, if i full throttle or close the throttle the sound disappears.

I tried touching the plastics, mirrors etc to see if it were those but i think its near the engine somewhere, i cant tell if this is the same at 40+ as the wind noise is louder then.

I tried putting the bike on centre stand and reving it to replicate but it didnt make the buzzing sound, i only tried it at 20mph, dont fancy trying it again really because of obvious risks.

I've had the first service done but it happened even before that, bike sounds smooth on idle, no rattles, smooth throttle etc, just a very annoying buzzing sound when maintaining those speeds.

Only other thing I can think of is i took my screen off for a givi and put that back again, so will take the original screen off and retighten everything again, I recall the screws on the original were on very tight so I'll check that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

Post by gn2 »

Number plate.
Mine did this so I removed it, cut off the little pointy lug on the mudguard then double sided taped and screwed the plate back on.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

now that you mentioned it, it does have a small crack on one of the screws.

I will definitely check this out!
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Just pop in some earplugs and all will be well :D
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

I've taken tightened the 2 screws behind the plate but not made much difference. Any other ideas? Is it even the reg plates making the sound?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

With the screws tight the plate can still vibrate against the mudguard unless you cut off the pointy lug and tape it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

I have the same sound as described and when tried putting a foam between the plate and the lug the noise was still present. Any ideas what the sound could be? could it be a transmission belt sound or variator sound?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

My one makes a noise at slow speeds and light throttle. I think it's the belt vibrating. I asked about it at the last service and they said it was fine.
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

I also think it could be coming from the belt but not sure. I will ask the garage next tuesday as its first service is due now :)
jbok

Post by jbok »

Cracksta

Mine does the same thing you are describing. Mostly at 20 - 30 mph with little load on the motor - basically when maintaining speed. I noticed it before I had the license plate installed so I'm sure that is not the problem. I haven't had the first service done yet because I don't have that many miles yet. Sounds like you had you valves adjusted since you've had your first service. I has hoping that was the problem.

Please let me know if you find a solution as this bothers me as well.

It certainly doesn't seem to meet my expectations of a honda. Especially since there is another rattle coming from the instrument cluster.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hi jbok, the valves were not adjusted, was a basic service. I did ask and this Honda franchise said they don't tend to check them until 10k miles. Yes it only happens above 20mph but 30 is when it's hear the loudest, any higher and the wind noise drowns it.

But very annoying, sounds like something something is falling apart lol.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

I have read about noise issues at low rpm's and also coming to a stop. I have watched alot of video's on varilator mods and have noticed a clanking sound when winding down after a rev. I have read this is caused buy the sliders. which makes sense. also there is a belt that transfers all that torque to the rear so I think it is also a matter of getting used to the sound of these machines whether 125's or 150 pcx's. the sliders and the belt makes the majority of the strange noises heard by these machines. all if which i think is normal
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You don't have anything stored under the seat that could cause the noise?
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

i do have things stored but it wouldnt make those sort of noise, I'll remove them to test but doubt it would make any difference.

The sounds seems constant so long as its above 15mph onward and only happens when holding the revs or maintaining the speed. If I speed up the sound is gone, no sound at full throttle either, just find it very annoying :x
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

one thing for sure, since many have the same problem,it is a common issue so one does not have to wonder what it can be, but if someone finds out leaving aside the number plate it would be nice :)
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

was going to do that but risky to ride without plate just to test this :lol:

took everything out of my seat except for a cloth, will be investigating the plate again, behind it, there is a little notch that pushes the registration plate forward a little, i think that could be the culprit, so will get some foam or cushioning to test later.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That's the bit I cut off so I could tape the plate on.
No buzzing since.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

hmm.. padded that part but its still doing it, doesnt seem to be as bad but not sure if it helped.

I think next thing to to remove that piece.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Still havent had time to cut that piece off yet but here is the response from a Honda Dealer:

"from what you are describing, it is just a harmonic resonance between the fairing panels and can be a characteristic of some faired motorbikes. It is nothing to be worried about and we can have a look at it during your next service."
jbok

Post by jbok »

Cracksta,

Did you ever find a resolution to the buzzing? I have exactly what you describe on a PCX150 and I find it very annoying too. I asked my dealer to ride it and to see what he thought - of course, he said he didn't hear it.