PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

Post by Oyabun »

The rear buzzing sound is a resonant frequency of the stock rear suspension spring. Mine has changed (but not eliminated) by changing the stocker to a YSS rear shock pair.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

I don't know if this will help, but I think I know what is causing the buzzing sound in Natasha.

It's the meter panel under the windscreen. There's one point on the panel, at the most forward place on it, where it just barely touches the brow fairing. That is where the buzzing is coming from on Natasha. A small piece of rubberized tape to cushion between them, and no more buzzing.

I have no idea about the buzzing from the rear. I'm not even going to go there.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Andreapcx
Year: 2016
Color: matt grey

Post by Andreapcx »

Ishkabibble wrote:I don't know if this will help, but I think I know what is causing the buzzing sound in Natasha.

It's the meter panel under the windscreen. There's one point on the panel, at the most forward place on it, where it just barely touches the brow fairing. That is where the buzzing is coming from on Natasha. A small piece of rubberized tape to cushion between them, and no more buzzing.

Hi there.

Kindly could you indicate by showing us an image please.

Thanks
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Andreapcx wrote:
Ishkabibble wrote:I don't know if this will help, but I think I know what is causing the buzzing sound in Natasha.

Hi there.

Kindly could you indicate by showing us an image please.

Thanks
He means this I think, good to know if true. Easy enough to test this by blocking the intake.
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Yep, that's exactly where I mean.

There's an "open tab" on the bottom of the meter panel that is supposed to fit over a tab on the brow fairing, I believe, and it never stays in place. So I put a small piece (about 3/4" square) on the front of the tab to serve as a cushion. End of buzz.
Attachments
Location of front of Meter Panel.
Location of front of Meter Panel.
meterpanel.png (407.01 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
amin12345
Color: black

Post by amin12345 »

I have the same problem here pcx125 2015.
It seems like this strage sound is coming from the engine at speeds of 15mph to 30mph.
I was thinking it could be the spark plug the sound is like clicking electricity wave/sparks.
skyfeone
Year: 2015

Post by skyfeone »

Hi !
I have the same or similar problem. I have 125 2015 model, over 13 000km.
There is constant buzzing sound on 50-60km/h speed. I think, that this buzzing sound i hear from new bike, so this is not a big problem for me.

But now, after winter, from 30-50km/h and 60-80km/h (i think the same sound), but it comes as "knocking" in some frequency, which is more frequent, than higher is speed, but over 80km/h it is dissapearing now. So From 30-50 it is "knocking", next from 50-60 it is buzzing and next from 60-80 it is knocking.

But ! I changed rollers, to Dr.Pulley sliders. Before changing, this "knocking" was there only over 60km/h - to max speed.

So I am sure, that this is not some resonantion of plastics or what, but it must be something with engine, or something with variator or belt (but belt is like new). I checked valve clearances too, and I adjusted it (were tight).

Any ideas please? :-)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

You do hear sliders knocking as they shift around. Particularly on part throttle.
I guess I used to hear mine around 30-40kph, too...
My scooter is quite noisy, so I don't notice the vibrations and rattles for now.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Did you check the cubby hole door, the little storage compartment?
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
skyfeone

Post by skyfeone »

I don´t think that it is sound of sliders, because this buzzing wasn´t here last season.
I don´t understand what you men "cubby hole door" ..
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

The small storage area door. Front left opposite from the ignition/steering lock
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
skyfeone

Post by skyfeone »

Thanks, but this noise is coming from engine or drive mechanism, not from some plastic resonance etc.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks, but this noise is coming from engine or drive mechanism, not from some plastic resonance etc.
Is the Cam Chain Tensioner on the PCX automatic or does it need to be adjusted occasionally? I think it's automatic but not having my own PCX yet nor the Service Manual I can't say with certainty.

That being said there was a thread on this Forum some time ago that described a similar problem and the poster had a dealer fix it for around $170. Here's a link to that thread. . .

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4193

You have to read down a bit.

Not saying it's your problem but when they go they do make noise. Seems the poster only had about 5,000 miles on his PCX at that time as well. . ..

As an added note there were clutch bearing (Face Set, Driven) issues on about 30% of PCXs according to this older thread and that can make noise also. Just something to note. I know the Face Sets themselves for the PCX 150's (the part with the slots in it) are on back order and not available right now from one popular parts source I usually buy my motorcycle parts from. However they do show them available for the 2011 PCX 125's . . . maybe they are similar but different.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3324
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

same here.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

Hi. First post on the forum and I'd just like to say thanks for the useful comments above. I've just traded in my Vision 110 in the UK for a new PCX 125 and I have the same problem. I'm finding the noise pretty annoying because of it's high pitch. Sounds like a piece of flexible plastic getting flicked at high speed by a rotating fan - it just doesn't sound right. It is irritating me and is a disappointment coming from the 110 which actually sounded spot on. First 600 mile service coming up in a few weeks and I want it sorted. If the dealership don't fix it I'll take it elsewhere for a second opinion, and if they identify the problem and can fix it, I'm getting Honda to pay for the work.
G'Bru
skyfeone

Post by skyfeone »

Here is video of my problem - resonantions are well heard from 1:20 and from 1:50 ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvpADqHa6cI&t=80s