Honda Thailand service

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Honda Thailand service

Post by alx123 »

Okay, first of all I was expecting this based on my experience during my very first 600 kms service.

Yesterday I went to Honda for my second (6000 kms) service. I was hoping (not so much) to get a little more better service from Honda.

The guy drained my oil, asked me for 4$ for the oil, and stamped my maintenance book. All inside 5 minutes. Amazing, world class service I say.

This is just my second oil change at 6000 kms, first is at 600 kms. The super-service-oriented mechanic didn't even bother to empty all of the old oil. Once done, he went back to his other task and I'm left their standing, amazed and confused.

I am not disappointed, not at all. I am upset. How can Honda allow this incompetent #@%* work in their company? Is he even aware of the checklist that the owner's manual recommend?

Didn't give any tip, nor planning to go back there for my 12000 kms next service.

Enough of the rant.

I hope Kramnala could read this for I would like to ask where he takes his PCX for servicing in Bangkok. When my pcx reached 12k kms, I might want to have a little bit more of a comprehensive maintenance check.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Honda Thailand service

Post by chicaboo »

At least he was honest and only charged you $4. Maybe the stamp in the logbook is worth that to you?
I imagine most people are used to paying $400 for a big service, thinking they're getting a valve clearance check/adjustment and a full inspection. But the actual experience is probably not much different to your's...

I would love to know what level of service merits the other scooters going up on the hoists? $40?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Yeah, they only charge for the oil. What I'm most concerned is the guy didn't even do a proper oil change. I don't mind being quoted a price for a proper service. It is not that expensive here in Bangkok.

I am actually not sure if the book stamp is really that important anymore. Some say you could resell your bike for a better price later, if the maintenance book is completely stamped. It's like Honda guarantees that your bike undergone all the proper service maintenance in their reliable service centers. I'm not quite sure if other people will buy that BS of a story anymore, LOL. I'm sure all buyers will be aware by now how shi**y their service centers are.

As for other repairs, if the bike is still under the warranty, they might just charge you for the replacement parts.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I know you shouldn't have to - considering you're willing to pay - but would you be prepared to service the scooter yourself, and put your own comments in the logbook?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

If I'm left with no options, yes I could do the maintenance myself.

I'm not sure about signing my own maintenance book though. The purpose of that book is to show records of service maintenance done in Honda authorized garage. Maybe that book is not of a big deal anyway. It surely does look useless now that it's clear to me how crappy their service centers are.

Also, I figured my value/hour, and doing the maintenance myself for hours just to save a few bucks is not a profitable trade for me. I'd rather have someone do it for me, while I do my other task. If I can find someone reliable enough to do it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've gotten motorcycles worked on in the past at dealerships and the results were mixed. I did find fasteners that were only hand tightened. I found plastic pieces that were snapped or broken and it made me think that since my life depends upon what I'm riding maybe I should just do the work myself and be more thorough. The "Devil is in the details", the old adage goes. . . :o

At the end of the day I have found that by doing my own maintenance I know it gets done properly IAW the manufacturer's requirements. . .or good common horse sense.

The only time I bring one of my machines to a dealer is if I don't have the tools or "know-how" to perform the task. And in a lot of cases an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :geek:

That being said I do bring my wheels to a dealer (of good repute) to get tires/tubes changed because it is easier and worth the $30 per wheel plus cost of the tire for me. I have done my own tire changes in the past but it's a royal pain in the neck on bigger bikes. I've seen the "Zip-Tie" method done too for the ultimate cheap route but it's a struggle and at this stage of my life it's not something I choose to do. 8)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

alx123 wrote:I hope Kramnala could read this for I would like to ask where he takes his PCX for servicing in Bangkok. When my pcx reached 12k kms, I might want to have a little bit more of a comprehensive maintenance check.
I put so few kms/mls on my PCX every year (1,000 kms at most) that I don't go that often. I have used a small garage on a small Soi that I can barely find each time. Other times I have had one of out employees take it to a shop that I have no idea where it is.

Apart from that, I know it is a distance from you, but I have heard good things about the Honda dealer on Sukhumvit Soi 71.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

kramnala58 wrote:
alx123 wrote:I hope Kramnala could read this for I would like to ask where he takes his PCX for servicing in Bangkok. When my pcx reached 12k kms, I might want to have a little bit more of a comprehensive maintenance check.
I put so few kms/mls on my PCX every year (1,000 kms at most) that I don't go that often. I have used a small garage on a small Soi that I can barely find each time. Other times I have had one of out employees take it to a shop that I have no idea where it is.

Apart from that, I know it is a distance from you, but I have heard good things about the Honda dealer on Sukhumvit Soi 71.
Thanks Kram. I will try to approach the small shop near our place first when my odo reaches 8kms. I dont wanna throw away fresh oil yet.

I also found a shop that specialize in PCX and NMAX in Lat phrao 71. A little far but might be worth a visit.

Also, for 2k baht ($57) they will swap your stock rims with painted ones, color of your choice. I'm thinking about it

Heres their FB page https://th-th.facebook.com/jackshop.pcx/

Thanks again
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

PCX150Rider wrote:I've gotten motorcycles worked on in the past at dealerships and the results were mixed. I did find fasteners that were only hand tightened. I found plastic pieces that were snapped or broken and it made me think that since my life depends upon what I'm riding maybe I should just do the work myself and be more thorough. The "Devil is in the details", the old adage goes. . . :o

At the end of the day I have found that by doing my own maintenance I know it gets done properly IAW the manufacturer's requirements. . .or good common horse sense.

The only time I bring one of my machines to a dealer is if I don't have the tools or "know-how" to perform the task. And in a lot of cases an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :geek:

That being said I do bring my wheels to a dealer (of good repute) to get tires/tubes changed because it is easier and worth the $30 per wheel plus cost of the tire for me. I have done my own tire changes in the past but it's a royal pain in the neck on bigger bikes. I've seen the "Zip-Tie" method done too for the ultimate cheap route but it's a struggle and at this stage of my life it's not something I choose to do. 8)
I agree with everything you said. If only we could find a reliable shop, then all of our worries will disappear.

I have no problem checking the basics (tires, brakes, coolant, nuts and bolts, engine oil). I may not go as far as checking the valves though. I saw the video of removing the cover alone and I swear I never want to put myself to such a task, LOL.

I am not expecting too much from the service center, but even if a simple task as changing the oil isn't done right, then I guess it is too much incompetence for a company like Honda.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

alx123 wrote:.....Also, for 2k baht ($57) they will swap your stock rims with painted ones, color of your choice. I'm thinking about it .....
I don't know if I should thank you or not for revealing that. It just may be time to spend a bit more money on White Lightning. ;)

Sent using Tapatalk HD
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

kramnala58 wrote:
alx123 wrote:.....Also, for 2k baht ($57) they will swap your stock rims with painted ones, color of your choice. I'm thinking about it .....
I don't know if I should thank you or not for revealing that. It just may be time to spend a bit more money on White Lightning. ;)

Sent using Tapatalk HD
haha, Just don't pick pink for your next rim. Gold looks awesome.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

alx123 wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:
Sent using Tapatalk HD
haha, Just don't pick pink for your next rim. Gold looks awesome.
I think I would go with ..... what else, but white. ;)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Just a quick update:

I decided to let the Honda center do their job at 12000 kms anyway.

The service guy changed my oil, check my coolant level, changed my air filter, check my tire pressure and brake fluid levels, brake pads and brake shoe wear..not bad for $15. Note: (haven't check valve clearance ever since, he said no need)

I'm planning to just change my oil halfway of the maintenance schedule myself. I will do it after 3000 kms instead of the 6000 kms schedule, I'll let honda do the regular maintenance, so that I could still get that maintenance stamp from them. Even though im not sure if it's really important when it comes to warranty, etc.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Thanks for following up. Seems like they're OK, and maybe he was just trying to multi-task last time.

Did he check the valve clearances the first time? That's probably the most important.

I've found that it get proper, by-the-book service, I have to go to a more expensive dealer, with a good reputation of the service dept. The one I'm thinking is about 30 miles away from me, toward the rural area, rather than urban.

I've also found that if I find a good local mechanic, and tell him what I want, he will give me a fair quote and do the work properly. This works for two reasons:

a) That mechanic is running his own shop. The quality of his work will DIRECTLY affect how successful his business is and how much money he makes.

b) Reputation is critically important. No one will come to him just because he is an authorized Honda dealer.

You found a guy who specializes in just a couple of bikes? That is unprecedented here. (except for Harley)

The trick is just finding a good independent guy.
-Jeremy
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Did he check the valve clearances the first time? That's probably the most important.
No, haven't done any valve clearance checks yet. He said, no need when I asked him yesterday. :?