Idle Stop

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Idle Stop

Post by PCX150Rider »

In cases where the traffic congestion is flowing like molasses and the engine is in danger of over heating I can understand the usefulness of the "Idle Stop" feature. . .especially in hot tropical climates. I imagine at times it may be easier to just ease one self's PCX forward a few feet at a time using leg power rather than start it up. :(

That being said, for me, I would prefer not to have my machine turn on and off automatically in traffic. I like to have full control over it. Traffic in my local area can be a PITA sometimes but nothing like folks living in major cities. Therefore I probably wouldn't use the feature even if I had it. In it's place Honda offers the U.S. the parking brake lock. I think I've only used that once. . .nice to have though just in case. 8)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Has anyone retrofitted idle stop to a non idle stop scoot? Do we only need the computer and the switch at the handlebars? The engine is the same right?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Gil wrote:Has anyone retrofitted idle stop to a non idle stop scoot? Do we only need the computer and the switch at the handlebars? The engine is the same right?

Gil
Requires all new electronics, engine changes - entirely too expensive for what you do
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by Slowinitdown »

I used it twice, one of which was just to demonstrate to friends how quickly it fired off from idle. Haven't used it since. I don't stop that often on my commute so see no use for it. It does work very well however.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Jge64 wrote:
Gil wrote:Has anyone retrofitted idle stop to a non idle stop scoot? Do we only need the computer and the switch at the handlebars? The engine is the same right?

Gil
Requires all new electronics, engine changes - entirely too expensive for what you do

That's disappointing, it also doesn't seem like there is much MPG benefit. Any hard numbers from anyone here.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Scooter Station did a real world comparison.

http://www.scooter-station.com/honda-pc ... e-pcx.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

gn2 wrote:Scooter Station did a real world comparison.

Thanks for the link, very interesting that only a 3mpg (0.11l/100km) improvement with its use in the city. So it's more of a nice to have than anything else.
Glad to know that I ain't missing much.

Gil
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Scooter Station did a real world comparison.

€6 is €6 :lol:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I hardly used it. In fact, I felt it was detrimental to the battery life with so many stops and starts in the very congested traffic of Bangkok. But having said that, I am sure that rarely taking longer trips (more than 4-5 kms) played havoc on the battery life as well, being that it didn't get a good uninterrupted run too often.

It is a feature that I could have easily done without.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I never use it. Tried a few times but in constant stop/start traffic it was a pain.

Rather they drop that feature and installed rear disc brakes instead.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I don't use it in traffic too, doesn't make sense since you'll be moving all the time. (no matter how slow)

In Bangkok, sometimes you have wait in the intersection for 5-10 minutes waiting for the light to turn green. The idle stop make sense in this situation, you don't want to be idling for 10 mins but you wouldn't want to turn your ignition off too bcause when the lights turn suddenly green and you still need to start your scoot, all cars and bikes behind you will be blowing their horn in annoyance. That's how it is in Bangkok, everyone seems to be in a hurry and want to run you over. Most bikers don't turn their bikes off, so most are idling for 5-10 mins waiting for the lights to turn. With the dile stop feature, all you need to do is twist your throttle and your good to go.

Maybe the idle stop was created with the Asian market in mind. Might not make sense in the west or across the pond riders though.

So, i disagree of removing it as a feature because it is useful for me. Maybe remove it in models for the US/Europe. Though i would agree, better brakes are much needed upgrade too. (front ABS brake at least).
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:I don't use it in traffic too, doesn't make sense since you'll be moving all the time. (no matter how slow)

In Bangkok, sometimes you have wait in the intersection for 5-10 minutes waiting for the light to turn green. The idle stop make sense in this situation, you don't want to be idling for 10 mins but you wouldn't want to turn your ignition off too bcause when the lights turn suddenly green and you still need to start your scoot, all cars and bikes behind you will be blowing their horn in annoyance. That's how it is in Bangkok, everyone seems to be in a hurry and want to run you over. Most bikers don't turn their bikes off, so most are idling for 5-10 mins waiting for the lights to turn. With the dile stop feature, all you need to do is twist your throttle and your good to go.

Maybe the idle stop was created with the Asian market in mind. Might not make sense in the west or across the pond riders though.

So, i disagree of removing it as a feature because it is useful for me. Maybe remove it in models for the US/Europe. Though i would agree, better brakes are much needed upgrade too. (front ABS brake at least).
I find it useful too. Plenty of other things to worry about.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

RedBaron wrote:I never use it. Tried a few times but in constant stop/start traffic it was a pain.

My Honda sh 125 has both stop/start and rear disc.And abs.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I drive mostly in light traffic, the idle stop works fine when I remember to use it. Not a big deal either way for me, but I think it could be annoying in certain traffic situations.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

dick the den wrote:
RedBaron wrote:I never use it. Tried a few times but in constant stop/start traffic it was a pain. Rather they drop that feature and installed rear disc brakes instead.
Wish the PCX did - pricing OTR in the UK is £2700 for the PCX and £3300 for the SHi (step through model), so £630 difference and I'm not sure the newer '17 SH version has led lighting or not. It seems one change with the '17 models of each, is meeting the new higher tolerance emissions reg's over older models like mine, a '14 reg one that probably just met the '3' and not tighter '4' standard.
£630 difference is quite a lot if you just get one extra disc and ABS, considering the price difference some years back for an ABS or non ABS model (can't remember which one) was only £200 OTR.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

PCX150Rider wrote:I'd rather see the money that Honda put into developing that idle stop feature for the PCX put into what I consider to be a more useful purpose such as a sufficient lighting mechanism for the pet carrier or a more robust stock wind screen or more universally comfortable seat. I can see both sides of the argument but in all reality I'd rather be the captain of my ship and turn the scooter on or off at my command. . .not some auto feature. Plus when I'm in traffic the last thing I want to do is have my engine turn off at a stop light. Plus. . . Murphy's Law. . .what if. . .I don't want to suffer the unintended consequences of a failed restart with a Mack truck breathing down my neck and the driver being on a cell phone texting his wife on what to pick up at the store on the way home. I'm glad that the PCX150's sold in the U.S.A. don't have that idle stop feature. Maybe I'm wrong but IMHO I think the majority of PCX owners would find a better wind screen, more comfortable seat, or under seat lighting more useful. . .and not pay anything more than suggested retail right now. The PCX gets such great MPG already and the carbon footprint to make one is so small compared to an SUV that I don't see the point of creating the idle stop feature in the first place. Now they are investing in a motorcycle that will balance itself. For what market? What's the point? One can always get a trike or drive a car depending on the circumstances. If they are worried about rider anxiety or noobies then perhaps those less confident riders should start out on little bikes. . .like we used to in the old days. . .and work their way up. I started on a 90cc Suzuki. At one point I had a Rebel 250. Most of the riders I grew up with started on anything from mini-bikes to 100cc or 125cc machines and then made a leap to a 250cc or 500cc. Then, and if you had the coin, you got a Sportster or a Triumph Bonneville, or a Honda 750, with aspirations of someday getting that Harley 74 or similar machine. Getting off topic but it had to be said. . .
I don't think its a good idea and agree with above. I believe its more stress on the engine and just one more thing to go wrong mechanically and/ or electronically. Simple is better and provide better longevity. I also think this has been a competitive thing to improve(boast) better fuel economy numbers. Better that HONDA uses its engineering prowess on more comfort features ie seating etc.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dick the den wrote:
RedBaron wrote:I never use it. Tried a few times but in constant stop/start traffic it was a pain.

Did it work out? :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:
dick the den wrote:£630 difference is quite a lot if you just get one extra disc and ABS, considering the price difference some years back for an ABS or non ABS model (can't remember which one) was only £200 OTR.
SH is more expensive mainly because its made in Europe.

When the S-wing 125 first got ABS it was a £150 option
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Slow motion video of idle stop systems on PCX positioning the piston for throttle up.... weird

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Maybe just a result of the arm, alternator currents, gravity and design of the engine - rather than ECU doing anyhing wierd to position it?