The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza. Now featuring a SH300i / SH150i subforum!
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 am
Posts: 82
Location: Belarus, Gomel
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White
EasyRider, if correctly understood my message, then a smooth start with the Idle Stop system is comparable or even smaller than the push that gets the engine by increasing the speed of the scooter. Use the Idle Stop system has never doubted her safety for the life of the engine. Smooth run like hybrid cars, completely silently and smoothly. The beginning of the motion of the scooter occurs instantly, as if the engine is not stifled.
In any case, to give an expert opinion on this issue, it is necessary to have tests for a long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 914
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
djbass wrote:
EasyRider, if correctly understood my message, then a smooth start with the Idle Stop system is comparable or even smaller than the push that gets the engine by increasing the speed of the scooter. Use the Idle Stop system has never doubted her safety for the life of the engine. Smooth run like hybrid cars, completely silently and smoothly. The beginning of the motion of the scooter occurs instantly, as if the engine is not stifled.
In any case, to give an expert opinion on this issue, it is necessary to have tests for a long time.


You are very right.. Time will tell. It may very well work out , but I am concerned about Murphys Law. Most new advances work fine in the beginning , but like you said the constant heat soaking during stops can affect pintle cleaning and take a measure on the engine as a whole. On the flip the engine will have less RPMS over the life of the engine. Dont know yet how that will affect the life. I personally am old school and like an engine purring under my ass and feel more confident when I twist the throttle there will be less chance of any surprises.Motorcycles tend to vibrate more and bounce more and that will affect terminals , electronics and sensors moreso than a smooth riding car.Like you stated however time will tell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm
Posts: 206
Location: SE PA
Year: 2018
Color: white
I think Start/ Stop has potential in drag racing, whereby a CTDS (Christmas Tree Detection System) sensor will detect the onset of the Christmas tree's sequence and trigger full bore acceleration.

This same feature could be adapted to a FBTO-TLDS (Full Bore Take Off - Traffic Light Detection System) to detect traffic light change to green, but of course people running a red light may possibly make the Full- Bore feature more exciting than desired.

Also, unexpected FBTO-TLDS activation may be a surprise to an inattentive PCX rider, which is probably why Honda insists on having the hump in the seat. A no-cost "free" and valuable secondary feature for the TLDS would be designated the PCX- IPES (Inattentive Passenger Ejection System).

Don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.

..... where's my next beer ?
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 am 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:43 pm
Posts: 2276
Location: London, England
Year: 2015 125
Color: White
I don't use idle stop but perhaps it's good for long infrequent pauses when caught in traffic jams or not able to filter. In the UK and esp. London, it's rare to stop for more than a minute or so so why bother.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 am
Posts: 82
Location: Belarus, Gomel
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White
In large cities such as Moscow road lanes wide and the traffic going between the rows, so stops a little. But if you count commuting and stop 3-4 a day for 0.5-1 minute per month will be enough.
With the system Idle Stop funny look at the drivers who are surprised that you are only standing at a traffic light with a stalled engine quieter all and instantly flew forward when the light turns green the signal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 914
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.
personal sacrifices= $
bugs are worked out = $
the techies guarantee it = Titanic

Its all good !!! LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
easyrider wrote:
don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.
personal sacrifices= $
bugs are worked out = $
the techies guarantee it = Titanic

Its all good !!! LOL

I think the technology is beneficial to owners, especially the way Honda did it with the manual option so the driver can turn it on/off as it makes sense.

Over-all it's a net-sum-loss for most scooter owners since they idle so efficiently, which is also the case for most vehicle engines--especially considering the electronics they have to power. An owner will almost never recoup the cost of the technology in fuel savings. If one considers Total Cost of Ownership, taking into consideration the additional wear on the engine, battery, electronics in general, plus initial purchase cost, it's a huge loss.

The benefit to owners would be best realized by changing the starting system to the start-stop components (for economy of scale cost reduction) and leaving the rest of the system manually activated in my opinion. This would reduce engine wear, technology costs, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:28 am
Posts: 23
Location: Venray, the netherlands
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white
Does anyone have the description of the start/stop system from the manual? in my manual the system isn't covered ( US manual)
Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8147
Location: Lying in the gutter in the centre of the universe
djbass wrote:
In large cities such as Moscow road lanes wide and the traffic going between the rows, so stops a little. But if you count commuting and stop 3-4 a day for 0.5-1 minute per month will be enough.
With the system Idle Stop funny look at the drivers who are surprised that you are only standing at a traffic light with a stalled engine quieter all and instantly flew forward when the light turns green the signal.



Save your breath. Common sense and practicalities are lost on them :lol:

_________________
Flu based abstinence


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 pm 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
you you wrote:
Save your breath. Common sense and practicalities are lost on them :lol:

If you have nothing intellectual nor funny to add, you could stop trolling the forum. There's no issue with you having a differing opinion--that's how we tend to learn things in many cases, but continuing to post nonsensical comments without even an attempt at humor is counter-productive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
rvkssl wrote:
Does anyone have the description of the start/stop system from the manual? in my manual the system isn't covered ( US manual)
Thanks in advance!

I thought it was in the U.S. manual, but here's a link regardless. See page 52-60.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am
Posts: 45
Location: Kamala Beach, Phuket, Thailand
Year: 2015
Color: White
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thread but I explain why my stop idle doesn't work in my long term video review I posted yesterday. I once left the bike on and it completely drained the battery. For some reason, after that, the stop engine light would not work. When I tried replacing the battery with a new one, it worked again. I went back to the old battery because it worked fine and I didn't use the stop engine. That was two years ago. Battery still working fine.

_________________
Life's a beach in Thailand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 914
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
you you wrote:
djbass wrote:
In large cities such as Moscow road lanes wide and the traffic going between the rows, so stops a little. But if you count commuting and stop 3-4 a day for 0.5-1 minute per month will be enough.
With the system Idle Stop funny look at the drivers who are surprised that you are only standing at a traffic light with a stalled engine quieter all and instantly flew forward when the light turns green the signal.





Save your breath. Common sense and practicalities are lost on them :lol:

There are some that are outright silly buggers.Pay them no mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Idle Stop
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 3:37 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Birmingham,uk
Year: 2016
Color: Red
When I first got the bike I used start stop feature , but when the winter came and had to commute in the dark, the green light on the dash would irritate me so I turned the feature off. I could of stuck some tape over the light but I am also aware that I want the bike to last me circa 50,000 miles so anything to extend engine life the better. Peace out


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 212 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!