Idle Stop

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RedBaron

Idle Stop

Post by RedBaron »

So do you any of you use it?

With London traffic i suppose it would save a few pence on a tank. I know the older versions had battery issues with it but have any newer version owner had any issues?

Can't wait for mine to arrive. Damn Honda running out of stock :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Idle Stop

Post by you you »

RedBaron wrote:So do you any of you use it?

With London traffic i suppose it would save a few pence on a tank. I know the older versions had battery issues with it but have any newer version owner had any issues?

Can't wait for mine to arrive. Damn Honda running out of stock :roll:

Works perfectly as far as I'm concerned.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

It works fine, although in reality it doesn't save you a great deal.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Chapel77 »

I use it all the time, don't know how much it saves!

It's a good system, usually active once I get a couple of hundred yards into my journey, and when in use there is no delay in firing back up when pulling away.

Don't see any reason, for me, not to use it.
Living the Honda Dream!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Chapel77 wrote:I use it all the time, don't know how much it saves!

It's a good system, usually active once I get a couple of hundred yards into my journey, and when in use there is no delay in firing back up when pulling away.

There is a very good reason not to use it, startup and stop is very hard on engines, wears on starters, bearings, etc as oil pressure is lost while stopped... But most people do not have enough knowledge about engines to make any kind of educated judgement on this It depends on how long you are stopped weather it makes any sense or not. But in general, it is more of a bad thing than good. Shutting down the engine to stop 30 seconds or less is plain STUPID. I would never do that to save virtually NOTING, literally 2 cents in fuel every day on a scooter...

That system is NOT made because engineers think it is a great thing. These systems are even worse on cars, where the engine is larger, and the starter is a different system than the PCX. It is a result of GOVERNMENT, EPA, and the manufacturers trying to make the government happy... That is the reality of the world these days, some will do their research, educate themselves and figure it out... The majority will remain clueless while they watch mindless sports, and sitcoms...

Many years ago, a very smart person once said, give the masses Bread and Circus and they will blindly follow....

Mike
Last edited by JetPilot on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

It works for me no problem. I usually have it on but when I get into heavy stop-start traffic I turn it off - like JetPilot says, it can't be good to be constantly stopping and restarting.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Works perfect in Bangkok stoplights. My favorite feature of the PCX so far.

(or I'm probably just a part of the clueless majority,poor us)
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

alx123 wrote:Works perfect in Bangkok stoplights. My favorite feature of the PCX so far.

(or I'm probably just a part of the clueless majority,poor us)
I never said " it does not work " ... You demonstrate poor reading comprehension, and the inability to differentiate " does not work " from " a bad idea ". So I have to agree with your last statement...

Mike
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

JetPilot wrote:
Chapel77 wrote:I use it all the time, don't know how much it saves!

There is a very good reason not to use it, startup and stop is very hard on engines, wears on starters, bearings, etc as oil pressure is lost while stopped... But most people do not have enough knowledge about engines to make any kind of educated judgement on this It depends on how long you are stopped weather it makes any sense or not. But in general, it is more of a bad thing than good. Shutting down the engine to stop 30 seconds or less is plain STUPID. I would never do that to save virtually NOTING, literally 2 cents in fuel every day on a scooter...

That system is NOT made because engineers think it is a great thing. These systems are even worse on cars, where the engine is larger, and the starter is a different system than the PCX. It is a result of GOVERNMENT, EPA, and the manufacturers trying to make the government happy... That is the reality of the world these days, some will do their research, educate themselves and figure it out... The majority will remain clueless while they watch mindless sports, and sitcoms...

Many years ago, a very smart person once said, give the masses Bread and Circus and they will blindly follow....

Mike
You really are a complete tool.

Please don't quote any of my posts, it is obvious you only do it to troll. Using language like 'enough knowledge', 'educated judgement, 'educate themselves' and 'remain clueless' are immature, childish attempts to raise an argument.

This seems to be the norm for you, you must have a really sad and lonely life to try and pleasure from doing this.

As I have said on previous threads, I do not want any involvement with you, so please save your time and that of the moderators and don't respond.
Living the Honda Dream!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

This thread has been locked and is under review.
Last edited by WhiteNoise on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Review made. Thread Unlocked
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thread un-locked and adding...

Be kind to one another, respect one another.
We are equals. We ask everyone to follow forum rules and guidelines.
Chill, kick back, relax and have fun. Teach, learn, build and ride safely.
Most Wanted: Be friends not enemies. Smile
Enjoy Our Forums
Let us not forget who Owns and Created them: Dave (maddiedog). We Thank You and we thank our many Members for being a part of our PCX World!
Cheers, Your Modsquad :)

Now, back to your local station (thread): "Idle Stop"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

Had one instance of the bike not firing back up. Was waiting at lights and the engine reached temperature and idle stopped. Lights remained red for another 2 minutes and when changed to green it would not fire.

Put me off using it for a while as I had to turn off bike and start it again, at the front of a queue of traffic. Not had any issues in last 3 months since changing jobs; engine is usually well up to temp before I hit my first set of lights
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

mowzertron wrote:Had one instance of the bike not firing back up. Was waiting at lights and the engine reached temperature and idle stopped. Lights remained red for another 2 minutes and when changed to green it would not fire.

Put me off using it for a while as I had to turn off bike and start it again, at the front of a queue of traffic. Not had any issues in last 3 months since changing jobs; engine is usually well up to temp before I hit my first set of lights
This happened to me last weekend. I had to flip it back to idle and then start it up normally again.
I was bored at a set of lights, this was the first time I tried idle stop on the road, and this happens.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'd rather see the money that Honda put into developing that idle stop feature for the PCX put into what I consider to be a more useful purpose such as a sufficient lighting mechanism for the pet carrier or a more robust stock wind screen or more universally comfortable seat. I can see both sides of the argument but in all reality I'd rather be the captain of my ship and turn the scooter on or off at my command. . .not some auto feature. Plus when I'm in traffic the last thing I want to do is have my engine turn off at a stop light. Plus. . . Murphy's Law. . .what if. . .I don't want to suffer the unintended consequences of a failed restart with a Mack truck breathing down my neck and the driver being on a cell phone texting his wife on what to pick up at the store on the way home. I'm glad that the PCX150's sold in the U.S.A. don't have that idle stop feature. Maybe I'm wrong but IMHO I think the majority of PCX owners would find a better wind screen, more comfortable seat, or under seat lighting more useful. . .and not pay anything more than suggested retail right now. The PCX gets such great MPG already and the carbon footprint to make one is so small compared to an SUV that I don't see the point of creating the idle stop feature in the first place. Now they are investing in a motorcycle that will balance itself. For what market? What's the point? One can always get a trike or drive a car depending on the circumstances. If they are worried about rider anxiety or noobies then perhaps those less confident riders should start out on little bikes. . .like we used to in the old days. . .and work their way up. I started on a 90cc Suzuki. At one point I had a Rebel 250. Most of the riders I grew up with started on anything from mini-bikes to 100cc or 125cc machines and then made a leap to a 250cc or 500cc. Then, and if you had the coin, you got a Sportster or a Triumph Bonneville, or a Honda 750, with aspirations of someday getting that Harley 74 or similar machine. Getting off topic but it had to be said. . .
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I have never had a problem with mine, although I do not use it in heavy stop and go traffic as frequent stops and starts can drain the battery, particularly if I have gone for a longer ride in a while.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's good that you are aware of the battery life situation. . .especially if you don't get to ride it all the time on a longer distance that would charge it up more. I'm glad that you pointed out that fact for other PCX owners who also have the idle stop feature. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. . .it's just that for me it's something I can live without and would prefer another feature improvement on the machine. . .like the light up pet carrier for instance. Sure helps in the dark. :)
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

I do not use this. I do not see any point in using it.
Hax
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

No problem with mine but my life wouldn't be different without it?!
WI_Hedgehog