Idle Stop

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Re: Idle Stop

Post by djbass »

EasyRider, if correctly understood my message, then a smooth start with the Idle Stop system is comparable or even smaller than the push that gets the engine by increasing the speed of the scooter. Use the Idle Stop system has never doubted her safety for the life of the engine. Smooth run like hybrid cars, completely silently and smoothly. The beginning of the motion of the scooter occurs instantly, as if the engine is not stifled.
In any case, to give an expert opinion on this issue, it is necessary to have tests for a long time.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

djbass wrote:EasyRider, if correctly understood my message, then a smooth start with the Idle Stop system is comparable or even smaller than the push that gets the engine by increasing the speed of the scooter. Use the Idle Stop system has never doubted her safety for the life of the engine. Smooth run like hybrid cars, completely silently and smoothly. The beginning of the motion of the scooter occurs instantly, as if the engine is not stifled.
In any case, to give an expert opinion on this issue, it is necessary to have tests for a long time.
You are very right.. Time will tell. It may very well work out , but I am concerned about Murphys Law. Most new advances work fine in the beginning , but like you said the constant heat soaking during stops can affect pintle cleaning and take a measure on the engine as a whole. On the flip the engine will have less RPMS over the life of the engine. Dont know yet how that will affect the life. I personally am old school and like an engine purring under my ass and feel more confident when I twist the throttle there will be less chance of any surprises.Motorcycles tend to vibrate more and bounce more and that will affect terminals , electronics and sensors moreso than a smooth riding car.Like you stated however time will tell.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I think Start/ Stop has potential in drag racing, whereby a CTDS (Christmas Tree Detection System) sensor will detect the onset of the Christmas tree's sequence and trigger full bore acceleration.

This same feature could be adapted to a FBTO-TLDS (Full Bore Take Off - Traffic Light Detection System) to detect traffic light change to green, but of course people running a red light may possibly make the Full- Bore feature more exciting than desired.

Also, unexpected FBTO-TLDS activation may be a surprise to an inattentive PCX rider, which is probably why Honda insists on having the hump in the seat. A no-cost "free" and valuable secondary feature for the TLDS would be designated the PCX- IPES (Inattentive Passenger Ejection System).

Don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.

..... where's my next beer ?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I don't use idle stop but perhaps it's good for long infrequent pauses when caught in traffic jams or not able to filter. In the UK and esp. London, it's rare to stop for more than a minute or so so why bother.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

In large cities such as Moscow road lanes wide and the traffic going between the rows, so stops a little. But if you count commuting and stop 3-4 a day for 0.5-1 minute per month will be enough.
With the system Idle Stop funny look at the drivers who are surprised that you are only standing at a traffic light with a stalled engine quieter all and instantly flew forward when the light turns green the signal.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.
personal sacrifices= $
bugs are worked out = $
the techies guarantee it = Titanic

Its all good !!! LOL
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

easyrider wrote:don't worry about it !! It's just "better", the techies guarantee it ...... simply a matter of science and simply being open to accept progress and change and - well, a few personal sacrifices while the initial system bugs are worked out.
personal sacrifices= $
bugs are worked out = $
the techies guarantee it = Titanic

Its all good !!! LOL
I think the technology is beneficial to owners, especially the way Honda did it with the manual option so the driver can turn it on/off as it makes sense.

Over-all it's a net-sum-loss for most scooter owners since they idle so efficiently, which is also the case for most vehicle engines--especially considering the electronics they have to power. An owner will almost never recoup the cost of the technology in fuel savings. If one considers Total Cost of Ownership, taking into consideration the additional wear on the engine, battery, electronics in general, plus initial purchase cost, it's a huge loss.

The benefit to owners would be best realized by changing the starting system to the start-stop components (for economy of scale cost reduction) and leaving the rest of the system manually activated in my opinion. This would reduce engine wear, technology costs, etc.
rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

Post by rvkssl »

Does anyone have the description of the start/stop system from the manual? in my manual the system isn't covered ( US manual)
Thanks in advance!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

djbass wrote:In large cities such as Moscow road lanes wide and the traffic going between the rows, so stops a little. But if you count commuting and stop 3-4 a day for 0.5-1 minute per month will be enough.
With the system Idle Stop funny look at the drivers who are surprised that you are only standing at a traffic light with a stalled engine quieter all and instantly flew forward when the light turns green the signal.

Save your breath. Common sense and practicalities are lost on them :lol:
WI_Hedgehog