Spark Plugs

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Spark Plugs

Post by outlander »

I am preparing for the 5k mile service. The only replacement part is the spark plug. I am assuming it's just the one since it is a single cylinder.

5k miles seems a short life for a spark plug, does it really need replacing?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by you you »

outlander wrote:I am preparing for the 5k mile service. The only replacement part is the spark plug. I am assuming it's just the one since it is a single cylinder.

No
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

outlander wrote:I am preparing for the 5k mile service. The only replacement part is the spark plug. I am assuming it's just the one since it is a single cylinder.

Tbh, I have not taken my plug out yet and I have just over 8900 miles on it. It runs fine and doesn't behave as if the plug needs to be changed. I'll probably check it around 10k. It's not a 2 stroke, so I'm not terribly worried about plug fouling.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

I changed mine at 10000 miles--it was a difficult operation because of the angle at which you have to address the plug with your plug wrench. However, and I hope so for your sake, maybe your machine is not set up quite the same as my 2013 model.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Change the plug.

Honda wants your machine to last a long time and run great while doing so. They want you to check the plug to see how the engine is running, and for the effort you may as well change it as its cheap insurance. Keep it running perfect and it will last a lot longer than running "well."

Some people would rather save $150 on oil/plugs/air filter/grease because it's immediate verses saving the cost of a new machine (plus gas savings) due to it running twice as long. Your choice, mine is to have a low Total Cost of Ownership.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

The SM actually states to inspect and clean the plug at 5K. But here's the plug if you want a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R ... UTF8&psc=1
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:

Tbh, I have not taken my plug out yet and I have just over 8900 miles on it. It runs fine and doesn't behave as if the plug needs to be changed. I'll probably check it around 10k. It's not a 2 stroke, so I'm not terribly worried about plug fouling.

Exactly. That plug looked fine for another 20k.

There's no great change in physics happening in the PCX engine. Car plugs are usually changed at 80k but have a in use life of twice that. Given that small single cylinder engines can be harder on plugs quartering it to 20k to be ultra ultra cautious doesn't seem unreasonable.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

There's no great change in physics happening in the PCX engine. Car plugs are usually changed at 80k but have a in use life of twice that. Given that small single cylinder engines can be harder on plugs quartering it to 20k to be ultra ultra cautious doesn't seem unreasonable.
X2.. but for a couple bucks , and some DIY experience it can be psychologically rewarding. My motto if it feels good ..do it !!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is weird that I purchased that particular plug on Amazon back in 2015, but when I went to that link Homie gave us above there was a notice that said that it would not fit my PCX. What??! Excuse me, but I have one of those in my wife's bike and it runs great. I have to wonder if amazon is having some problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:It is weird that I purchased that particular plug on Amazon back in 2015, but when I went to that link Homie gave us above there was a notice that said that it would not fit my PCX. What??! Excuse me, but I have one of those in my wife's bike and it runs great. I have to wonder if amazon is having some problems.
Amazon and ebay compatibility charts are to be mostly ignored for motorbikes. If I tuned down every SM recommendation for the Buell by online compatibility charts I would always end up at Harley paying a hundred bucks minimum for everything :D
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

At 7K miles, the plug that came out of my Elite 110 was quite worn. The manual calls for 5K replacement on that bike.

Remember, our engines run at 10000 rpm and many car engines run at less than 2000 rpm.
But you can of course go ahead and save 7$ and see how long it will last. Don't be surprised though if your spark will become weaker and cause occasional misfires, damaging the head gasket, breaking the piston, connecting rod or a valve. You might also develop carbon build up due to incomplete combustion, greatly reducing the life of your catalytic converter, piston rings and the cylinder head.

When you find an increased engine oil consumption, remember that one of the reasons was leaving the worn plug in the engine against manufacturer's advise. Please do no blame anyone but your own decision to save $7 on a new spark plug.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The sky is falling!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

If you buy an expensive spark plug with platinum or etc plating be sure to NOT use a feeler gauge to check or alter its gap or you’ll scratch the plating and render the plug’s life to the same lower mileage as a cheap plug. All it takes is one minor scratch on the thin plating.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I (hope to) learn something everyday. Thanks for that springer1 ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Spark plugs are cheap cylinder head repairs aren't.
Changing the spark plug risks damaging the cylinder head if you fcuk it up, so best done as infrequently as possible.
A plug will easily last ten to fifteen thousand miles in a PCX (or Forza)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

A plug will easily last ten to fifteen thousand miles in a PCX (or Forza)
There are many different types of spark plugs but I don’t know what specific type the Honda factory installs in their PCXs. I wonder what the plug manufacturer’s spec says about that plug’s duration. When does Honda recommend the original factory type installed spark plug be changed?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When I had the Forza its last ever service was at 16,000 miles.
It might have got a new plug then.
The plug didn't get changed again.
It was sold with around 33,000 miles on the clock so the spark plug had done a minimum of 17,000 miles and may even have done the full 33,000.
Still ran as well as it did when new.

Honda PCX is fitted with a standard copper core NGK spark plug.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Honda PCX is fitted with a standard copper core NGK spark plug
Interesting - I can’t find a spec on the specific pcx plug, but some other NGK “copper core” plug specs say 30k miles! I donno what to think.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Standard spark plug for PCX 2017 and older:
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9637
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9637
CPR7EA-9 $4 18 NGK 3901.png (58.74 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
For "Longevity: 50k Miles", use NGK 9198 CPR7EAIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.
For new PCX 2018, use MR8K-9 standard NGK plug. So new can't find the product page for it.
ImageImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, all I know is that the dealer looked at and cleaned the plug on my wife's 2013 bike at 10,000 miles. Then he put it back in and said it should be good for another 10,000 miles. It is still running great.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers